Doctorbass Zero S mod to 2013 motor

Lebowski said:
my controller IC has a hard limiter for the max-erpms, when it goes over this setting it cuts the power. Maybe your controller has something similar ?

The Sevcon is able to run this motor above 6k rpm..

querlenker said:
Lebowski said:
my controller IC has a hard limiter for the max-erpms, when it goes over this setting it cuts the power. Maybe your controller has something similar ?

The Sevcon is able to run this motor above 6k rpm..
agreed, mine too, my point is more that the max erpm may be limited by a software setting...

John in CR said:
Doctorbass said:
Problem is that at high speed ( i mean over 90kmh) i get the motor cut out !!!

I hope you meant MPH, not kmh. I was going to challenge you to a podcast race, but if 90kph is "high speed" for you, it simply wouldn't be fair, since I call 90 slightly over half speed. :twisted:

I hope you get the shut down issue sorted out.

No.. it's really 90kmh average where it cut... but it can reach about 125-130 for the first 20 minutes no prob..

Also the controller is having wron settings for the field weakening.. it only reach about 4000rpm but it can reach 6000rpm.. i can hear it reaching 6000rpm if i twist the throttle with the wheel off the ground.... but it drop immediatly and oscillate to around 4000rpm.

There is some setting that limit to around 4000rpm...

Doctorbass said:
John in CR said:
Doctorbass said:
Problem is that at high speed ( i mean over 90kmh) i get the motor cut out !!!

I hope you meant MPH, not kmh. I was going to challenge you to a podcast race, but if 90kph is "high speed" for you, it simply wouldn't be fair, since I call 90 slightly over half speed. :twisted:

I hope you get the shut down issue sorted out.

No.. it's really 90kmh average where it cut... but it can reach about 125-130 for the first 20 minutes no prob..

Also the controller is having wron settings for the field weakening.. it only reach about 4000rpm but it can reach 6000rpm.. i can hear it reaching 6000rpm if i twist the throttle with the wheel off the ground.... but it drop immediatly and oscillate to around 4000rpm.

There is some setting that limit to around 4000rpm...

I think it's the BEMF approaching pack voltage. You can enable a silly amount of 'field-weakening' (as it's labeled in the Software). It doesn't make sense to enable it past the point of efficiency dropping below 50% RPM though, as it would be better to just re-gear even if you did somehow have a cooling system that didn't just overheat in seconds with the thermal release of that magnitude of inefficiency. I believe before hitting 50% efficiency it will hit a Sevcon's commutation frequency limit limit of something like 500-600hz depending on the non-sinus harmonic content in the current it's attempting to control happens to be.

I am excited to see the future of controllers leveraging cutting edge hardware be created with orders of magnitude less restrictive processing and high-speed high accuracy current sampling rates. I am grateful for all the amazing people creating it.

Luke,

If I twist the throttle WOT with the wheel of the ground, the motor spin and seem to reach 6000rpm but it drop immediiatly to about 4000rpm just like a limitation is becoming active... I believe it can reack 6000rpm as well but it is just cut by some parameters that are not perfectly set I guess.. I am learning on the field weakening now, I will post the info about that .

Doc

Question 1, what happens if I use a motor, with lets say 70kv, and I want to spin it with 60v battery to 6000rpm?
Question 2, what happens if I set torque target to 115nm and go into field weakening the same time?

liveforphysics said:
I am excited to see the future of controllers leveraging cutting edge hardware be created with orders of magnitude less restrictive processing and high-speed high accuracy current sampling rates. I am grateful for all the amazing people creating it.

Doc is way past regular people, but my attitude is that if regular people can't use the stuff by simply following easy to read instructions, then the item should still be in beta testing. Screw attempts to make stuff expensive for no good reason. Screw attempts to make things so un-userfriendly that they can only be serviced or set up by a factory authorized technician.

John in CR said:
liveforphysics said:

Doc is way past regular people, but my attitude is that if regular people can't use the stuff by simply following easy to read instructions, then the item should still be in beta testing. Screw attempts to make stuff expensive for no good reason. Screw attempts to make things so un-userfriendly that they can only be serviced or set up by a factory authorized technician.

The Sevcon are not easy to program and look more Like university research lab toy

These controller have solid reputation but they have so many parameter you can play with that it become difficult to adjust it properly for a given motor… as well....

In my case I understand about 25% of the parametres.. and I mean if I change one of their value I know exactly what it will do..

For the rest of the 75% other parameters I have barely an idea of what they affect but I have doubt about wich others parameters I have to play to get it adjusted properly....

Problem is that it is rare that you only can play with one parameter at a time... most of the time there are 2-3 or more parameters to adjust to only change one thing...

A lot of trial and error... as well... I would love to have each of the parameters in the DVT software fully explained one by one!!

Doc

Bison_69 said:
Hi Doc,

Here you go... SEVCON GEN 4 - Introduction to DVT (see page 6.2)
https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/images/TS Vehicles 9-7-11/Gen4 Product Manual V3.2.pdf

Also ''Using DVT with Gen4 Systems''
https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/images/DVT Tutorial.pdf

Bye...

Thanks Sylvain,

But i dont think these work with the DVT and the Zero sevcon programming... TBD as well

I think they require the IXXAT interface absolutly... but Zero are probably looking for a new alternative now i guess since the IXXAT are no longer availlable for the actual known version

Doc

With the old Me0913 motor and the Size 4 controller I remember I measured peak amp of 452A already... Now with the 75-7 and still tuning it I measured peak to 528A !!! on the cycle analyst!.. the max current limit is still set to 420, no change...

I just wonder how the hell can this controller draw 108A more than the max setting? :shock: that's 25% overshoot current!

Doc

From my experience, I compared Cycle analyst readings with gen4 data logging and there was a big difference.. I do trust more the gen4 and did not manage to draw significant more than the rated boost current.

querlenker said:
From my experience, I compared Cycle analyst readings with gen4 data logging and there was a big difference.. I do trust more the gen4 and did not manage to draw significant more than the rated boost current.

Yeah This make sense... I will look in the data monitor in DVT to see if that match.

Doc

Doctorbass said:
With the old Me0913 motor and the Size 4 controller I remember I measured peak amp of 452A already... Now with the 75-7 and still tuning it I measured peak to 528A !!! on the cycle analyst!.. the max current limit is still set to 420, no change...

I just wonder how the hell can this controller draw 108A more than the max setting? :shock: that's 25% overshoot current!

Doc

You know Ibatt and Iphase are very different right? If your Iphase target was say 420A, your Ibatt can range between ~5A to ~600A, all while holding exactly 420A phase current. Using timing advance and I would assume battery current could grow yet another few hundred amps while Iphase remains 420A.

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc

You know Ibatt and Iphase are very different right? If your Iphase target was say 420A, your Ibatt can range between ~5A to ~600A, all while holding exactly 420A phase current. Using timing advance and I would assume battery current could grow yet another few hundred amps while Iphase remains 420A.

Luke, That's what i tought :) I am really surprized on how these two different motor can draw max current with so much difference!

Can someone indicate me wich parameters are related to the field weakening in the DVT software? I would like to disable all field weakening and then to begin to understand one parameter at a time :D

Doc

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc

Can you share any battery currents you reached an size4/size6 without blowing it?

Back