Dreambuild EMTB Dengfu M09/Luna X1 Bafang M600 with a slacker fork angle/Increased wheelbase

Hey HerskerHans,
I noticed that you have an image of the rear wheel resting against the seat tube. Do you have any idea what the rear travel on the bike is? The Luna website lists rear travel as 7.8" or almost 200mm, which is why I am asking. (well, they actually state the the Monarch is 7.8" travel, so it is not very clear)
Everyone else is saying around 150-160mm at the rear, which would match up with the front, but I cannot help but wonder if they are just assuming that the rear would match the front forks...
Thanks
Mike

Waynemarlow said:
Not sure, I would sooner have a minimum weight battery than over weight battery that you would only use 50% on a ride. If we can fit 14S3P of 21700 cells it will be more than enough for my needs.

A question why the M09 and not E10 ?

Have you ever weighed your bike all up less battery ?

Only weighed it with the battery (13s4p), 21.7 kg. I have drained my 13s4p 18650 battery many times, im making a 13s5p battery now, so i can pick battery before each ride. I might make a 14s4p battery also. Ive got 160mm (216mm/65mm fox dpx2 shock) rear travel on the M09 and 170mm front travel with my fork. I use my bike on 3-6 hour mountain rides, I like the boxy frame with a big battery case, with that said i have only seen the e10 in a store, havent tried it, can you fit 65 18650 cells in the downtube on it?

E10 in a store, didn't know anyone was buying them in and reselling them.

In our riding situation we have to lift the entire bike over obstacles such as trees and stiles at times and 20kgs is fine, the 25kgs of the commercial bikes such as the Rail 7 is a pain and needs one person either side of the obstacle. On the bikes we already use, a Whyte T129 with a TSDZ2 engine, it weighs in around the 20kgs and its only real flaw is the low hanging motor hence the change to an E10 Frame. But to keep the weight down we have to limit battery size and weight, the best balance between capacity and weight we are finding is the 21700 14S2P packs using high Amp cells.

We are typically doing 40- 50km over about 1000m of climb and that means two packs, one on the bike and the other in your rucksack changing over 1/2 way

In some ways I wish we could have found a frame with a much smaller downtube with modern geometries, there's a few about but all seem to have 67 degree head angles and long / short chains stays etc where as the E10 is not un similar to the Whyte's we are already using.

Hi, where did you get the battery box from? Can you please post a photo of this?

Is it just the cost saving you’re getting out of this?
Is so is is so dramatic and I should bother my electrician mate?

Waynemarlow said:
Dengfu's E10 frame already has a slacker head angle off 66.5 degrees and with a Mullet ( 29er front wheel ) arrangement would be even slacker. Would you need any slacker as the bike will be getting into that dull feel of too slack a head angle that used to be the realms of downhill bikes.

Just about to find out as I've ordered am E10 frame, should be here in a month or two.
me too

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

MDW195 said:
Hey HerskerHans,
I noticed that you have an image of the rear wheel resting against the seat tube. Do you have any idea what the rear travel on the bike is? The Luna website lists rear travel as 7.8" or almost 200mm, which is why I am asking. (well, they actually state the the Monarch is 7.8" travel, so it is not very clear)
Everyone else is saying around 150-160mm at the rear, which would match up with the front, but I cannot help but wonder if they are just assuming that the rear would match the front forks...
Thanks
Mike

I havent measured, but the dengfu factory says 155mm with a 200 or 210mm 55mm travel shock. I found enough clearance for a dpx2 216 65mm fox Shock on my large frame, so i probsbly have a bit more than 155mm with that shock. Im making a medium frame now altso, the 216mm shock gets to tight on that.

Hi all. I have just completed 2 builds using the new E10 frame. Picture attached. I can confirm the battery is larger than the one in the M09 and is rated at 816 watts or 17 AH. The battery specification I received stated it uses 21700 cells but unless I open it up, I can't confirm this.

The E10 as built is a beast of machine with the only downside being the low bottom bracket height made worse by the long 170mm Bafang custom cranks. This results in pedal strikes on every ride so I am hanging out for the rumored Lekkie aftermarket shorter cranks.

For me the M600 has more than enough power and the motor noise reduces after a few ridesAssembled E-10 resized.JPG. I ride trails on PAS setting 1 or 2 (out of 5). 3 on really steep climbs with 4 and 5 being overkill in my opinion. Happy to answer any questions. Cheers

Are you using 27.5 tires, the pedal strike is very common due to the BB is too low.
I have asking Bafang to provide the M series ISIS date to make a alternative crankset 165 mm.

kiwitourer said:
The E10 as built is a beast of machine with the only downside being the low bottom bracket height made worse by the long 170mm Bafang custom cranks. This results in pedal strikes on every ride so I am hanging out for the rumored Lekkie aftermarket shorter cranks.

For me the M600 has more than enough power and the motor noise reduces after a few ridesAssembled E-10 resized.JPG. I ride trails on PAS setting 1 or 2 (out of 5). 3 on really steep climbs with 4 and 5 being overkill in my opinion. Happy to answer any questions. Cheers
Hi, just curious does this have a throttle, or can it be added?
Is it cheaper to build this vs buying it built, or is the advantage/reason simply to choose parts YOU want? :D

Blake2020 said:
Is it just the cost saving you’re getting out of this?
Is so is is so dramatic and I should bother my electrician mate?

Dengfu offers readybuilt batteries now, 330 usd i think. I like to have a bike without at canbus/coded battery, so i can make a new battery for this many years down the road, dont like motors where you have to get a new battery from say bosch or brose for instance, And i think it is a bit fun to build it myself and pick parts and so on,

banshee28 said:
kiwitourer said:

Is it cheaper to build this vs buying it built, or is the advantage/reason simply to choose parts YOU want? :D

The motor kit comes with a throttle, i had it on and tried it for a while, i removed mine, its not allowed where i live and i dont feel a need for a throttle. I wanted a Luna X1 a while back then I saw it was discontinued, its back on sale now i think. When i found at that I can buy the frame separatly that was more interesting for me, also because i live in Norway and shipping a Luna X1 from USA is expensive.

kiwitourer said:
Hi all. I have just completed 2 builds using the new E10 frame. Picture attached. I can confirm the battery is larger than the one in the M09 and is rated at 816 watts or 17 AH. The battery specification I received stated it uses 21700 cells but unless I open it up, I can't confirm this.

Nice, you could consider a longer fork travel to lift the pedal arms and motor a bit, i want the same thing, might try to drill and tap new pedal holes at 155mm in the 170mm cranks.

Pedal strikes are becoming the norm for all Ebikes despite having similar ground clearance to an analogue bike. My view its mainly down to the extra speed Ebikes are doing through difficult ground conditions as we can now power through rocky and knarly terrain where as with just human leg power we had to pick our way through or get off and walk the bike through.

I have sort of retrained myself a bit and now think about the terrain and if necessary back pedal to rearrange the pedal position to prevent pedal strikes, not always successfully but certainly I get the dreaded ground strikes less.

dh_newbie said:
Are you using 27.5 tires, the pedal strike is very common due to the BB is too low.
I have asking Bafang to provide the M series ISIS date to make a alternative crankset 165 mm.

Hi. Yes using 27.5 x 2.8. With this larger tire size I do gain some height although not as much as a 29'er or even just a 29'er upfront. The good amount of travel in the rear also results in the BB dropping lower. I am getting a die set to tap out new pedal mounts on the existing cranks. Even 15mm will help :).

HerskerHans said:
banshee28 said:
kiwitourer said:

The motor kit comes with a throttle, I had it on and tried it for a while, i removed mine, its not allowed where i live and i dont feel a need for a throttle. I wanted a Luna X1 a while back then I saw it was discontinued, its back on sale now i think. When i found at that I can buy the frame separatly that was more interesting for me, also because i live in Norway and shipping a Luna X1 from USA is expensive.

Hi. Yes these are fitted with the standard Bafang thumb throttle. The only time I use it is when starting on a hill just to get the first pedal stroke in and the assist started. For fun, you can use it on the flat but I try to max battery and range. Being based in New Zealand the cost of shipping bikes from the USA is way too expensive and it is hard to avoid US sales tax. The advantage of dealing direct with Dengfu is that you can build the bike with the components you want. You can source these from other suppliers and have them sent to Dengfu for assembly. I sourced the top of the range Suntour shocks from a supplier in Taiwan at a huge saving. I found Alice and the team at Dengfu to be absolutely amazing and so responsive. Way better than my early inquiries with Luna. I 100% recommend this approach. I ended up with bikes better spec'd than the X1 with extra batteries at about the same price (excluding US shipping).

:x Does anyone know where I can get this suspension nut and bolt? Luna is not any help. 2 months old and it fell off. :evil: :twisted: :x

Attachments

• 20200814_231307.jpg
    20200814_231307.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,343
BIKER7361 said:
:x Does anyone know where I can get this suspension nut and bolt? Luna is not any help. 2 months old and it fell off. :evil: :twisted: :x

Try contacting Dengfu via AliExpress.

theflyinglandwalrus said:
HerskerHans said:
theflyinglandwalrus said:
HerskerHans said:
I just bought an empty batterycase that i filled myself with Tesla S90D cells, so i didnt wire up the on off switch. But my guess which i am pretty sure on would be that you charge it with the on off switch off, the switch is just to get power on the main connection at the bottom off the battery.

Thanks for that. I was also wondering what charger do you use? The supplied charger from Dengfu crapped out on me when I unplugged and plugged it from the battery while charging (I didn't know there was a protocol on how the connection and disconnection was done).

https://tinyurl.com/y8gdumgn Something like this with a 13s 48v with a 5.5 mm charging plug. I usually plug into the battery first, then the wall, then i remove from the wall, then from the battery. am i doing it correctly?

That's exactly how it is to do it. Just made one minor mistake on my part (plugged the 5.5mm lead back to the battery after unplugging it) and the whole charger went kaput. Now only outputs 26V instead of 54.6V.

I burned all three Dengfu supplied chargers in the same way.
I bought three 3A TANGSPOWER chargers, never had a problem.
I assume the Dengfu chargers are faulty.

HerskerHans said:

Got some help on a 18650 facebook group with the layout/pattern on my 48v 13s5p 65pcs 840wh battery that im trying to build as a secondary battery for this bike. Looks like 65 batteries should be able to fit inside the box :)

Did you continue with this project?

BIKER7361 said:

Oh, wow, try emailing tony@dengfubikes.com, ive gotten great service from him. and im gonna check my bolts now :),

By the way, the thru axle bolt on my has loosened a couple times on mine, i ziptied the handle to the brake calipper after tightening it.

CiDi said:
HerskerHans said:

Got some help on a 18650 facebook group with the layout/pattern on my 48v 13s5p 65pcs 840wh battery that im trying to build as a secondary battery for this bike. Looks like 65 batteries should be able to fit inside the box :)

Did you continue with this project?

Im back on that project now, i just received a smaller bms than pictured that is for charging only, im gonna discharge outside the bms, directly on the battery. there is a cutoff/percentage reading on the display anyway so it is better to discharge outside the bms anyway i think.

HerskerHans said:
Wiw93bp.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzskzYS0gQs&t=113s[/youtube] FIRST RIDE!

Here is my Dengfu M09/Luna X1 Build, Bafang M600, i ordered a frame, motorkit and an empty batterybox from the Dengfu factory. I installed 52 Tesla batteries that i took out of a Tesla S90D from the junk yard.

The part of my build that i am most happy about is the decreased fork angle (67 to 65 degrees)/increased Wheelbase, and choosing a fork with a 51mm offset and 170mm travel on 27.5 to further slacken/increase the length of the bike, i think the frame is to steep/cramped originally.

GpRUhcS.jpg

5BdaB8Q.jpg

qqDWgwK.jpg

4rIY5IY.jpg

2SpwHlV.jpg

3ACOH3r.jpg

YGxEwJP.jpg

EXLMlxF.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5WRZYtB94&t=18s[/youtube]Unboxing
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwNVofQxV9c&t=4s[/youtube]Build video part 1
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKPs6dZ2Xw[/youtube]Build video part 2
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TFN2ONymg[/youtube]Build video part 3 Battery
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqaz22PCMVI[/youtube]Build video part 4 Power up
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyBfDnOmmMM[/youtube] Walkaround

Hey, amazing bike! I would love to build the same bike but struggling with the sizes. I am 176.5cm tall and ride an 18" trance (medium) which fits well but i wouldnt like it to be any smaller. Dengfu say I should get the 17.5" which sounds small to me? Can you help me with sizing? what size is your bike? how tall are you?

Gicker said:
HerskerHans said:
Wiw93bp.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzskzYS0gQs&t=113s[/youtube] FIRST RIDE!

Here is my Dengfu M09/Luna X1 Build, Bafang M600, i ordered a frame, motorkit and an empty batterybox from the Dengfu factory. I installed 52 Tesla batteries that i took out of a Tesla S90D from the junk yard.

The part of my build that i am most happy about is the decreased fork angle (67 to 65 degrees)/increased Wheelbase, and choosing a fork with a 51mm offset and 170mm travel on 27.5 to further slacken/increase the length of the bike, i think the frame is to steep/cramped originally.

GpRUhcS.jpg

5BdaB8Q.jpg

qqDWgwK.jpg

4rIY5IY.jpg

2SpwHlV.jpg

3ACOH3r.jpg

YGxEwJP.jpg

EXLMlxF.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5WRZYtB94&t=18s[/youtube]Unboxing
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwNVofQxV9c&t=4s[/youtube]Build video part 1
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKPs6dZ2Xw[/youtube]Build video part 2
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TFN2ONymg[/youtube]Build video part 3 Battery
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqaz22PCMVI[/youtube]Build video part 4 Power up
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyBfDnOmmMM[/youtube] Walkaround

Hey, amazing bike! I would love to build the same bike but struggling with the sizes. I am 176.5cm tall and ride an 18" trance (medium) which fits well but i wouldnt like it to be any smaller. Dengfu say I should get the 17.5" which sounds small to me? Can you help me with sizing? what size is your bike? how tall are you?

Im 181cm tall and i Use a 19.5. I also have a 17.5 bike now that i built for my gf, but i havent tested it yet, I would guess a 17.5" would be good, maybe since the regular sizes often is 17 and 19, which makes a 19.5 a "large" +,

Back