Drew12345 Trek Fuel (AFT Mid Drive, Gauges)

but dont you have to lay off the throttle when the suspension is compressing or airborne? for example hitting a bunch of rough stuff which is usually hand in hand with steep changes from flat to steep with a bunch of erosion humps. This is not anything like onroad riding Im sorry to disagree with you. Firetrails are very steep and with lots of debri and the focus is on conquering the complexity without adding more to it with gear changing.

not all mountains are flat then one angle up, they can be flat then gradually steeper for longer or shorter stints which I would see the need to be in the right gear and this can all change quickly or gradually.

with the dd hub I can just plough full throttle through any terrain is what I am trying to get at.

anyway this is off topic for me now any way.

my back recovered after a week and smashed the mountains with nothing on my back, a bit heavier bike.

horses for courses - we all love riding off road!

Just got a couple of upgraded items from AFT: ISIS bottom bracket and crankarms, bigger chainrings (48, 34), and tool to install bottom bracket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417896836.200803.jpg

One week before holidays and the boys are boying themselves presents! 8)

I'm in agony sitting here with my bafang but without the adpater I need, so can't start pulling apart the bike in case we have a non rainy day...

I hope the drive shaft and lack of anything apart from one small bracket will be enough for my motor off road...

So were you running lower teeth count before? or only one chainring? I am going to stay with 30t because I just want granny climbing

Have to treat myself to something eBike related :)

I had 44/32 prior. I realized I didn't need that low of gear. I'm still trying to figure out the best combination but know this is move in right direction.

What tool is that ? I thought there was no tool that fits the cyclone ISIS BB? I.e most are not deep enough to fit the fat shaft of the ISIS..?

Megsy73 said:
What tool is that ? I thought there was no tool that fits the cyclone ISIS BB? I.e most are not deep enough to fit the fat shaft of the ISIS..?
I had a standard tool machined out to fit as my mate has a lathe after discovering the same issue

I think I have mine centered because I've had zero issues with it. In beginning I had 2 spacers for my bottom bracket and pushed it out to far. One spacer is perfect for me. I have 3 rings up front including motor.

I went out to go ride on some snow but place I went all the snow was melted :(

So just played around on the bike. Did a bunch of short clips "trying" some spin outs, hopping around, small log jumps, etc. It's really hard doing this stuff with heavy bike and battery.

[youtube]JnuQzrPyPQY[/youtube]

Hey that was funny, you have a sense of humour I think. Nice to see less serious kind of videos where you jumping around on the spot. I must admit I have never tried that trials bouncing thing and don't think I ever would with the weight of my bike. Having said that I pulled out my carbon 10kg hardtail to go buy beer today because it hasn't stopped raining 24hours. I think I would even do it on that.

Makes me think of that bomb the embassy video where that dood brakes before the edge of the building on the oset.

Wouldn't mind an oset if I could a half price one. Just for fun around the yard.

Anyway sidetracked. What's the temps there? Wind chill factor must be high.

I used to get sick much faster if I rode my bike at high speeds. I think the cold high pressure up the sinuses doesn't help.

Keep the vids coming I always enjoy them.

Ya. The temps did a 180 in the overnight. Stoked to ride in some morning snow wasn't on the menu for us :evil: . Although, I actually rode during the snowfall the previous afternoon and beat the damned salt trucks of doom. Luckily, much of my normal riding doesn't involve salted roads.

Friday night into Saturday morning looks like another event, but looks like wet snow. I think I'll try a night ride :D .

LOL. Yeah, don't like the cold but ride year round. Right now, it's averaging around 0 celsius. It only last for few months and start to get warm again. We get all 4 seasons here spread evenly through the year. I'm working on getting second wheelset with studded tires so don't have to keep switching tires when ice on ground. I'm trying to enjoy winter more and don't like being indoors :). Yes, have to be very careful of salt on roads. Unfortunately, to get to trails, I need to ride on road.

I love that oset video with embassy. I watch that probably once a month. I like watching trials stuff in general. They make it look so easy. I really want to learn to wheelie this year. I don't want to injure myself though. Should be easier on electric bike, right?

I still haven't switched to my bigger rings and isis bottom bracket. Been to lazy. And want to paint rest of mid drive black. Since it's cold, been looking at how to build baking oven for painting it.

I put some studded tires on extra wheelset I had sitting around. We just got several inches of snow so switched out the wheels and went out for ride at local park. It was a lot of fun. It was cold though at 25F/-4C plus wind but dressed in a lot of layers and felt good. Tires worked really well. They are the popular nokian 294 ones.

I noticed later in the ride that had some ice build up around the controller and motor. I'm sure the controller got wet but seemed to run fine. Will let it sit for a few days and see if everything is still good. I'm really impressed with this small kelly controller. It's no bigger than size of my hand.

[youtube]yOHXTLdd7A0[/youtube]

ah no need for cooling fins....

you could use a ski under your pedal. Do you get snow fly up your trousers? I remember stacking it skiing with my zip down and getting a chest full of snow down my tshirt...

My main problem when I ride is gravel kicking up from the new knobby tyre and I almost always finish with gravel in my jocks.

Also I would be paranoid riding with that snow not know for sure if there were a rock siting under the snow but the surface didn't show it. Or a hole smoothed over.

thanks for the vid looks fun.

I am now going on 3 seasons commuting with the Nokians. I ride the CC trail that is paved and the studs are a great help with crunchy, trampled snow and the ice from melted, refrozen snow :D

John Bozi said:
you AFT boys should know;

what's the strongest bicycle chain? I imagine it should have the best flex to for going at angles too....

bafang @ 57v x 25 amps broke my chain in a gear slip :(
How many gears do you have on the rear John?
I only ever use 8 speed max as the chains are thinner for more gears ie 9 and 10 speed.
Darren

I haven't had a chain break but did twist a couple from chain drops in beginning. Haven't had any problems since. I'm very careful when I shift and gradually increase power. These bike chains are not made for high power. I'm just using standard 9 speed chain (sram pc-971).

dbaker said:
I am now going on 3 seasons commuting with the Nokians. I ride the CC trail that is paved and the studs are a great help with crunchy, trampled snow and the ice from melted, refrozen snow :D

Wow, on the same tires? Wondering how long the studs will last?

John Bozi said:
Do you get snow fly up your trousers? I remember stacking it skiing with my zip down and getting a chest full of snow down my tshirt...

My main problem when I ride is gravel kicking up from the new knobby tyre and I almost always finish with gravel in my jocks.

This is funny. Never had this happen before. Maybe this is effect from riding faster bike :shock: But still get plenty of stuff kick up from the front tire. I keep forgetting to put my fenders back on. I hate getting mud all over my bike and clothes. On my non-electric bike, I used to wash after every ride. But with electric bike, I'm scared to wash it.

Nokian and Schwalbe use carbide studs. They don't show much wear at all. The problem with the studs is high power use where the tire may spin and a stud will catch on a road imperfection pulling the stud out of the tire. The newly pulled stud is left on the road :(

Used studded tires usually have missing studs...

Darren,

I don't know anymore. I'm a lost drifting soul when it comes to what I want from my ebike.

7sp was with my hub and mid

10sp now is with bbs02 because I ruined my hall wires again and am sick of fixing them.

I have a ton of choices to make which way to go. 7sp chain i ordered will arrive soon but useless with out the 7s rear.

I am thinking of not going up the mountains for a while now that I have it setup roughly and do some riding like this till I get really really get bored. If I don't get bored there are a million mods to do to improve running the bbs02 only. like putting my hookworms on getting a 7sp cassette.... etc....

light weight vs high power is the end equation.

John Bozi said:
Darren,

I don't know anymore. I'm a lost drifting soul when it comes to what I want from my ebike.

7sp was with my hub and mid

10sp now is with bbs02 because I ruined my hall wires again and am sick of fixing them.

I have a ton of choices to make which way to go. 7sp chain i ordered will arrive soon but useless with out the 7s rear.

I am thinking of not going up the mountains for a while now that I have it setup roughly and do some riding like this till I get really really get bored. If I don't get bored there are a million mods to do to improve running the bbs02 only. like putting my hookworms on getting a 7sp cassette.... etc....

light weight vs high power is the end equation.
An 8 speed cassette will work with 7 speed chain incase you have one lying around for a quick fix.
I think you will enjoy riding without the hub motor, its a different ride .
Darren

Back