E-bike project (RC mid drive system)

motomoto said:
And by the way, your Solidworks design looks bitchin' !!!

It is the 'thing' to put powerful setups on bicycles, but I think you will find out that you are going to need
more wheelbase to make it ridable. You will get tired of having to lean over the handlebars.

motomoto said:
You can only put so much torque on a chain, however you can spin the chain faster and transmit more power that way. When I did my 66 mph
run I put a huge pulley on the motor to spin the crank sprockets at 600 rpm. Torque times rpm equals horsepower. And lets face it, when you
are pushing a lot of power you do not need any pedal cadence, so spin it up.

Many thanks for the info. By the way your bike was my inspiration. I think that it is what an E-bike need to be. Power and reliable, but in the same time very nice..... :)

Regards

Many thanks for the info. By the way your bike was my inspiration. I think that it is what an E-bike need to be. Power and reliable, but in the same time very nice.....

Thanks, that is nice to hear. I have been designing a new frame for my setup. I am also thinking about my next project
which would have peaks of 50 Kw in a motocross frame. I might run 2 motors with 2 controllers to get that amount of
power. Your controller might work good for that. I would like to use the Astroflight 4 inch motor with water cooling.
I will stick it where the crank is on a modern 2 stroke. I want to beat a 450 around a motocross track, if only for a couple
of laps.

Nice build.

one question though: does the front tire clear the motorbracket when the front suspension is completely compressed?

Rouckie said:
Nice build.

one question though: does the front tire clear the motorbracket when the front suspension is completely compressed?

Hi and thanks. I already know, but before machine the motor mount I will finish assembly the bike and then do the last measurement. Then eventually modified.

Regards

I think you should place everything more towards the bottom bracket, would also be better for weight distribution. you could take a picture and check how far the tire comes up with a CAD program.

Rouckie said:
I think you should place everything more towards the bottom bracket, would also be better for weight distribution. you could take a picture and check how far the tire comes up with a CAD program.

Done

simple test... doesn't look so good :?
bruno.png
maybe just move the hole assembly down the tube a few centimeter?

BTW, to squeeze out the most of your derailleur, you could gear the motor so you just get the mentioned 2000N chain pull over the whole rpm band.

This technique is very common in drivetrain design, it's also used in all newer Volkswagen drivetrains for example, to keep the cost for the gearbox down.

Just set the battery current limit very close to the phase current limit, then you should see a torque curve like this:

blue: torque
red: power
green: efficiency

soruce: http://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/EBike_Controllers#phase_current_limit
180px-Torque_2_phase_cur_limit.png

1.8tfsi motor for comparison:
source: http://www.paultan.org/2008/06/27/audi-a4-18t-b8-launched-in-malaysia/
18TFSI_Curve.jpg

Oh. Many thanks. I just want finish to build the bike. Then do the last size check. Probably i will move the battery more up on the frame. One more option was use an 80100 motor, but i would like to use the bigger. Regards

Nice, I would like to see you use the bigger motor too 8) That would be a good test for the ESC.

The battery compartment looks a little on the small side.. Will A 15S, 8Ah pack fit in that?

Even with that battery pack you will burn through it pretty quick with your powerful setup :D

Hello Bruno

I do not know if you really would use alloy races wheels or simply you modeled them for the renders aesthetics but I have some questions for you:

Seems you would use narrow slick tires, remember that fat tires increases noticeably the wheel diameter, don't know if you already have taken care of that, mostly because you haven't shown the fork's arch on the renders. Anyway my advice is to foresee, if possible, an use with fatter tires than those you modeled.

A relatively short travel fork, as per your design, could easily reach its full compression at every ride session, also on paved roads, simply with hard brake actions....be sure the clearance is adequate and not approximate...

I'm not the right person to talk about batteries, but I think you will need at least 6-800 Wh to avoid sag/ripple and get a reasonable autonomy range, with the motors you plan to use at 15s voltage.....

I've a large database for forks (stems, Eye-to-crown, rake ecc) and for all tires I've used in my bikes or in bikes for sale, I'm also used to measure tire's sections and diameters from bikers I meet, whose tires are not yet in my list ^_^

P.S. If someone has the interest I have a good source for precise cnc'ed oversized calipers (until 1000mm) from Italy

I look forward to your cool build

Regards

he posted a pic on the first page, looks more like this in the end I guess ;)

this is why he doesn't care about the front wheel touching the motor either. guess his CAD does not have much to do with the actual bike.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,434
I would actually use Zippy 15C 5000mah. At least 3 of them in parallel. . I use and sold 3packs using these cells. They really have 5000mah and they have low voltage sag. Better to use more battery, they will get sucked dry pretty quick.

Well....I saw this pic....but it came from their site.....

And also I well know this bike, is an AM bike that can mount until 160mm forks, has usually a cane creek angleset and a 142x12mm rear standard.
At the beginning of this thread I thought Bruno wanted to mod this frame, but now I guess He wants to use it as a street machine without mods....that's the reason for my previous post....^_^
Anyway only Bruno could solve these speculation, and honestly, I'll bet that what we are all waiting for from this project, is mostly to see the Alien ESC in Action ^_^

panurge said:
Well....I saw this pic....but it came from their site.....

And also I well know this bike, is an AM bike that can mount until 160mm forks, has usually a cane creek angleset and a 142x12mm rear standard.
At the beginning of this thread I thought Bruno wanted to mod this frame, but now I guess He wants to use it as a street machine without mods....that's the reason for my previous post....^_^
Anyway only Bruno could solve these speculation, and honestly, I'll bet that what we are all waiting for from this project, is mostly to see the Alien ESC in Action ^_^

Hi. Thanks for all the suggestion. Yes, the bike will be a street bike. I was thinking about the tyre to use Maxxis hookworm. What do you think? Also the Cad design need to be modified when the bike will be all assembled, so i can measure everything.

Regards

Little Update. All the parts are ready. I have started. Just waiting the freewheel adapter from my friend. Then check the motor mount and transmission and assembly it. I guess 2/3 weeks and i will test motor and electronics.

Few pics of some parts. Suggestion are welcome.

Attachments

• 20130227_124526 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_124526 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 20130227_124821 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_124821 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 20130227_125001 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_125001 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 20130227_125140 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_125140 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 20130227_125248 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_125248 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 20130227_125711 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_125711 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 3,301
  • 20130227_135353 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20130227_135353 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3,301
Just say WOW....
How wide are those rims? I don't like races instead of spokes mostly on MTB frames, they are so rigid (not tried exactly these but a carbon xentis pair on an XC frame^_^), but for your FS street frame build they should be ok and for sure looks cool. If you plan to stock them, than I would try a pair.
These kind of wheels are indestructible but haven't any deformation under load, this means, a less comfortable ride and that although they are durable, they transmit more load to the shocks and more stress to the frame. Another obstacle to their diffusion even on road bikes is that they are forbidden in races outside of velodromes....because they are considered unsafe if an accident occurs.
Cheers

panurge said:
Just say WOW....
How wide are those rims? I don't like races instead of spokes mostly on MTB frames, they are so rigid (not tried exactly these but a carbon xentis pair on an XC frame^_^), but for your FS street frame build they should be ok and for sure looks cool. If you plan to stock them, than I would try a pair.
These kind of wheels are indestructible but haven't any deformation under load, this means, a less comfortable ride and that although they are durable, they transmit more load to the shocks and more stress to the frame. Another obstacle to their diffusion even on road bikes is that they are forbidden in races outside of velodromes....because they are considered unsafe if an accident occurs.
Cheers

Hi. Thanks. I was thinking the same. For road use they are fine. Very nice look and very light. The stress to the frame will be more, but the bike is full suspension by marzocchi so i think will be not a problem. Send me your mail in a PM. I will send you some pictures of the available models. Many thanks

In Fact I think that you choose a curious blend of components to fit a frame that is the descendant of a piece of history.....I would say something about rotors....at least....

About the exotic wheels, a crucial question is the quality of bearings and precision/durability of the hub compared to an hub made by a classic/proven manufacturer.... The carbon wheels I've tried had DT hubs and weighed the same as a top spoke-wheelset.....better to say nothing about their cost :shock:....Actually It's not so easy to beat both in weight and cost an ultra-light spoke wheel, even using carbon.
Also, spokes, are in fact one of the bicycle's souls.

That said I would like to try them in a non conventional bike... :mrgreen:
But, again, how wide are your rims?

It occurs to me that we're past due for getting Brunotollot to give a compare and contrast on his motor and ---(GASP)- - - COLLOSSUS!

http://www.icare-rc.com/plettenberg_predator.htm

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16728

Back