E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

proper159 said:
Rix said:
proper159 said:
Getting pumped to make the conversion to MC rear tire from Morati. Trying to visualize the difference in speed/handling vs. stock motor (The finished MC wheel has the 4504 or whatever the one Rix has). I'd gladly take higher torque but I've grown accustomed to the "freight train" feeling once I shift to 9th gear. Rix, I know that you have done some swapping with the stock to the 4504, I'll PM you to get the details on how to find the perfect balance between speed and torque.

I haven't tried the new motor, but how would a concrete hill that is about 400 to 500 metres and medium to high grade steepness with about 400 m flat lead up feel like? Right now, I get into the attack position at the stop light with my gearing at 8th gear. By 150 to 200 m on the flat, I shift into 9th gear and pedal like a mad man with full throttle. I have to keep pedaling and keep the throttle on max or else I lose all ability to regain torque and speed midway up the hill. I have over 40 cars chasing me down usually but I can match their speed. Will the 4504 drop down to 45 km/hr at around 200 m on the flat? If it does, can I use that time to lay off the throttle and shift up to 9th and then pedal like a mad men with full torque? Will I lose torque somewhere in the middle of the hill?

Yah Proper, its a 5404, and you should pull the hill a little faster than you could with the 5403. The 5404 should give you a top speed of 45-46MPH or about 70-72Km/H. Its a good motor, my dad has it on his Bomber, and would ride anything else.
Okay cool. I'm only doing maybe 77 km/hr top speed with stock...and that's going all out on a flat. Stock setup feels unstable at my weight and with a 40 pound backpack. For a 60 km trip will it draw more power from the battery vs. Stock even though I'll be pedaling the same amount in slower sections of my trip. I have about 5 sections that are really fast I.e. bursts of speed for 10 km and then 2 km stretches.

You should be getting north of 80 Km/hr. With same volts and amps input, the difference between the 5404 and 5403 with the Bombers stock pack is about 6 mph or about 9-10Km/h, that was my findings. So if you are getting 77km/h, figure on 67-68 km/h. Bone stock wheel setting should be around 2040mm, I have seen default settings from 2038mm to 2055mm for the 24x3 Duro Razorback. You could be off by as much as 40mm and there would only be a 1-2km/hr fluctuation with your velocity readings, not huge. How I figure out the mm input is measure the wheel inflated in mm, take that number, multiply by 3.141 (pie) and the number you get is the what you should program for wheel size in your CA or DC1. This does not work at all for MAC geared hub motors and the CA. Provided your pole count is correct, (12 for the 54XX motors, 23 for the H40 and TCXX) it will be really close to actual speed.

Stealth lights battery installation.

Hey guys. I don't know how many of you bought the Stealth lighting option, but for those of you who did, I have a quick question.

So the lighting rig has a fairly ugly and bulky battery component which comes with a velcro strap to clamp to your pipes- but I prefer integrated solutions. I managed to house the battery inside the spare room inside the top of the chassy. There is actually quit e bit of room, and that was fairly easy to do- just thread the wire through to the outside so you can easily charge it when you need to.

The only issue is that there is still a fair amount of space left, and when riding rough ground it's liable to move about.

I was wondering what solutions you guys have come up with if you have attempted this? Is there a heat-proof foam padding that can perhaps be inserted to fill in the space? Much like the foam padding around the main battery?

Weatherproofing

Just as a side question- what solutions have you guys come up with, if any, to weather proofing the hole where all the wires feed into the chassy? There is a fair amount of clear space, and it is fairy forward facing which seems to me to make it vulnerable to the rain rushing in through it at speed, or trailing down the wires.

This looks like it may work. Even lists engine bay compartments as an application.

http://www.easyfoam.co.uk/fireseal-acoustic-foam.php

ryrideswhat said:
Weatherproofing

Just as a side question- what solutions have you guys come up with, if any, to weather proofing the hole where all the wires feed into the chassy? There is a fair amount of clear space, and it is fairy forward facing which seems to me to make it vulnerable to the rain rushing in through it at speed, or trailing down the wires.

Some People use small Zip Ties around all the individual cables that goes inn throe the hole in the front of the frame, as a drip nose. That collects / stops the water running along the cables inn through the frame cut out.

And over the cut out for the CA to keep the moisture out I use a Clear piece of Contact Paper as a protective screen over the buttons and screen.

ryrideswhat said:
Stealth lights battery installation.

Hey guys. I don't know how many of you bought the Stealth lighting option, but for those of you who did, I have a quick question.

So the lighting rig has a fairly ugly and bulky battery component which comes with a velcro strap to clamp to your pipes- but I prefer integrated solutions. I managed to house the battery inside the spare room inside the top of the chassy. There is actually quit e bit of room, and that was fairly easy to do- just thread the wire through to the outside so you can easily charge it when you need to.

The only issue is that there is still a fair amount of space left, and when riding rough ground it's liable to move about.

I was wondering what solutions you guys have come up with if you have attempted this? Is there a heat-proof foam padding that can perhaps be inserted to fill in the space? Much like the foam padding around the main battery?

This is my solution. This headlight hooks straight to the CA. No battery needed.

Theodore Voltaire said:
This is my solution. This headlight hooks straight to the CA. No battery needed.

I guess that works, but I'd prefer not to go hacking at bits I don't need to. Besides, having a separate battery (and there's plenty of room for one) should give me some extra range not draining the main. The lights are like a car headlight! haha.

ryrideswhat said:
Weatherproofing
ryrideswhat, you really should read through the rest of this thread. A lot of your questions have already been answered.
This same question on waterproofing was asked (and answered) just 5 pages back.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=9150#p961577

I've found an easy way to search this monstrous thread for info on google is with a search string like this:
site:endless-sphere.com "E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners" [search terms]
Or if you really need some help:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:endless-sphere.com+"E-S+Stealth+Electric+Bike+Owners"+water+proof

Cheers

I have been tinkering about Air Cooling for Our Bomber motors. Still not Final but here is the idea on the Intake(cold air in) holes.
More details here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=50#p963693
file.php

Allex said:
I have been tinkering about Air Cooling for Our Bomber motors. Still not Final but here is the idea on the Intake(cold air in) holes.
More details here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=50#p963693
file.php

Whats the plan to prevent dust and water from getting inside the hub motor?

ryrideswhat said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

I guess that works, but I'd prefer not to go hacking at bits I don't need to. Besides, having a separate battery (and there's plenty of room for one) should give me some extra range not draining the main. The lights are like a car headlight! haha.

That's ok, I'm always just looking for an excuse to post another pic of my bike anyway. 8)

Allex said:

Both shapes will probably work well. I vote for the round holes.

Every once in a while you could just take an air hose and blow the dust out

few upgrades on the bomber

Attachments

• 20141026_153438.jpg
    20141026_153438.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 649
  • 20141026_162045.jpg
    20141026_162045.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 2,029
  • 20141026_173051.jpg
    20141026_173051.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 649
  • 20141026_173109.jpg
    20141026_173109.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 649
  • 20141026_173122.jpg
    20141026_173122.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 649
  • 20141026_173136.jpg
    20141026_173136.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 649
ryrideswhat said:
Weatherproofing

Have you ever heard of this stuff? I've never tried it, but it looks interesting. There's youtube videos of tests on it. There's more than one kind on the market.

One negative comment I've heard is that it can discolor over time. It's possible some of the products may have addressed this problem.

http://www.neverwet.com/anti-wetting.php

Got a reply from Stealth today re 'soft start.'

The soft start is a softer throttle mapping, it will make acceleration far more gradual. It should help you stay on the bike while you are getting used to the torque.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Have you ever heard of this stuff? I've never tried it, but it looks interesting. There's youtube videos of tests on it. There's more than one kind on the market.

One negative comment I've heard is that it can discolor over time. It's possible some of the products may have addressed this problem.

I've heard of products very similar to that. People use them to coat their phones and stuff. Mostly the feedback I've heard is that over a short time it starts to discolour and go tacky, then peel off. It's very easy to submerge something and say "look it's still dry after a million years." Well, yeah, you didn't agitate it at all? Different story when applied to a bike subjected to speed,wind, rain, the rider's body scraping etc.

ryrideswhat said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

I've heard of products very similar to that. People use them to coat their phones and stuff. Mostly the feedback I've heard is that over a short time it starts to discolour and go tacky, then peel off. It's very easy to submerge something and say "look it's still dry after a million years." Well, yeah, you didn't agitate it at all? Different story when applied to a bike subjected to speed,wind, rain, the rider's body scraping etc.

Yeah I definitely don't think it would work for a cell phone because you have to handle it all the time. Something like a controller might have better results though, since you don't normally touch it with your hands. I'm thinking in London, you're going to be needing some kind of water proofing. You'll be a good test case for the rest of us over time.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I'm thinking in London, you're going to be needing some kind of water proofing. You'll be a good test case for the rest of us over time.
Definitely gonna try avoid riding in bad weather. For anyone out there who is interested by the way, I use an iPhone app called Dark Sky. It's a hyper local weather app that pings you when rain is going to occur. I find it's bang on 9 times out of 10.

ryrideswhat said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Also to add its can cause cancer,this stuffs always to good to b anygood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,752
DunkenKBliths said:
Hey guys...

coming up to 10km...think its time for a VBOX clean out and re grease

tips ...and what cleaner to use ? (I already use Super Lube for the grease)

Dunk

Use 1 - 2 Cans of WD40 To clean out all the old gunk. Alex had a post about this some time ago.

Back