E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/04/22/soc12-enduro-needle-bearing-shock-upgrade/

NEEDLE BEARING SHOCK UPGRADE?

That would be a good idea to do. NE1 know where to order for the Bomber?

I loosened up both shock mounts and give them some silicone spray and you can feel it rides far better so the needle bearings would be great. I left them loose as the nylon nuts should be fine. Amazing ride diff just with them loose.

That's not news - BOS been offering it for a while :lol:

Only the bottom shock mount on the Bomber would need one if any - small-bump sensitivity and hub motors will never coexist :roll:

Regular maintenance will def help as you said, just keep that silicone spray away from the brakes :!:

full-throttle said:
That's not news - BOS been offering it for a while :lol:

Only the bottom shock mount on the Bomber would need one if any - small-bump sensitivity and hub motors will never coexist :roll:

Regular maintenance will def help as you said, just keep that silicone spray away from the brakes :!:

Fantastic and thanks

Do you know what size to order for the Bomber shock?

BOS don't make one for DNM, only for their own shocks. You would have to fab one yourself. The bushes are probably standard metric size, like 16mm. Then is simply a matter of getting the right size needle bearings to fit..

Starting to gather a bit of a picture of the economy of the light weight Fighter. Using my stock standard ride to work, the following figures were recorded. 15Whr/km @ an average speed 38.3 kph. Although 15Whr/km ins't exactly startling, the average speed achieved for this economy makes the figures quite reasonable.

In comparison, I find that riding at an economy of 15Whr/km on the Bomber sees an average speed of around 32kph under similar conditions.

Figures are based on light pedal assist and mildly undulating road conditions.

It would be interesting see some comparison data against a stock Fighter especially at the same average speed.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,615
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,615
That is good consumption considering the average speed. I would say my trike would weigh about the same although I max out at around 52kmh 20" wheel and 15s lipo . I will give have a go at riding with a average of 38kmh and see what i come up with.

I think if you are going to do a real test between the stock fighters it would be best to have the same rider or perhaps both riders around the same weight and no peddling and following each other to keep the comparison some what acculturate.

through some hills into the ride and watch the stock fighters consumption go up compared to the geared hub.

Keep the info coming and vids would be great .

Kurt

Kepler said:
It would be interesting see some comparison data against a stock Fighter especially at the same average speed.

Just a few pages back I posted my longest ride yet on the Fighter.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23996&start=1515#p557796
photo0050qd.jpg

I managed 11.9Wh @ 400W with an average speed of 28.8kmh over 82.6km. That was with constant (but not hard) pedalling as well.

I reckon I could approach similar results if I upped the wattage to around 800W.
I realise you probably didn't have to power limit to get that kind of result though. I tend to find my throttle is either on or off though, so I need something else to help me manage my power usage. :twisted:

Cheers

They were good numbers too. I dont think there will be that much in it compared to standard Fighter. I would guess maybe 20% at best. It would be great if you could do a run that averaged 38kph for a closer comparison.

I did an economy run today. The light weight makes it much more viable to pedal a reasonable amount. Averaged 27kph and 6.2 Wh/km. 8)

Kepler said:
Starting to gather a bit of a picture of the economy of the light weight Fighter. Using my stock standard ride to work, the following figures were recorded. 15Whr/km @ an average speed 38.3 kph. Although 15Whr/km ins't exactly startling, the average speed achieved for this economy makes the figures quite reasonable.

In comparison, I find that riding at an economy of 15Whr/km on the Bomber sees an average speed of around 32kph under similar conditions.

Figures are based on light pedal assist and mildly undulating road conditions.

Love the colour scheme, the efficiency and especially the 28 kg weight. Mine's not exactly stock but I generally see around 23Wh/km averaging ~40 kph on mixed flat & hilly areas.

Took the new Fighter over to Stealth today to show John and Al. Managed to get a bit of footage of the bike in action with Al riding it and doing what does best. :mrgreen: As you can see, the little BPM has plenty of torque and has no problems popping the bike onto its back wheel and holding it. [youtube]3EgShvl5KvY[/youtube]

Kepler said:
Took the new Fighter over to Stealth today to show John and Al. Managed to get a bit of footage of the bike in action with Al riding it and doing what does best. :mrgreen: As you can see, the little BPM has plenty of torque and has no problems popping the bike onto its back wheel and holding it.

Looks nice.
How does it go off road and up long steep hills?

Cheers

Kepler said:
Working on the custom controller for the Fighter at the moment. The controller has been up speced with 4110 Fets and 100V components. All HV wiring has been done in 12gauge silicon cable which should be plenty for the power output. High current solder traces are all beefed up with solid copper bar too. As you can see, the controller is tiny and a piece of cake to install internally. With the bike frame being used as the FET heatsink, hopefully heat will be kept under control. Should have all the mods completed tonight ready for installation tomorrow. 8)

Kepler,

Would you mind providing any additional detail about the controller you put together for the BPM? What did you start with? Other than the fets, larger cap, bigger wires, what else did you do to handle the increase in voltage?

Thanks,

len

Well done Kepler - it looks really agile. Like a Velociraptor compared to the Bomber's T-Rex!
Can Al also do stoppies on it now that the back wheel has less weight?
I guess John & Co were suitably impressed!

Cowardlyduck said:
Kepler said:
Took the new Fighter over to Stealth today to show John and Al. Managed to get a bit of footage of the bike in action with Al riding it and doing what does best. :mrgreen: As you can see, the little BPM has plenty of torque and has no problems popping the bike onto its back wheel and holding it.

Looks nice.
How does it go off road and up long steep hills?

Cheers

I have only done a bit of off road work with it but has no trouble climbing anything I throw at it so far. Plenty of short steep stuff but no long steep hills tested yet.

Justtoby said:
Thanks for the vid, it looks great.

Did you put helium in the front tyre?......Al makes me mad as I really want to learn to wheelie like that. :twisted:

lol, makes me sick too. No fear and great skills. He has plenty of other party tricks in his book too (ex trials rider)

Lenk42602 said:
Kepler said:
Working on the custom controller for the Fighter at the moment. The controller has been up speced with 4110 Fets and 100V components. All HV wiring has been done in 12gauge silicon cable which should be plenty for the power output. High current solder traces are all beefed up with solid copper bar too. As you can see, the controller is tiny and a piece of cake to install internally. With the bike frame being used as the FET heatsink, hopefully heat will be kept under control. Should have all the mods completed tonight ready for installation tomorrow. 8)

Kepler,

Would you mind providing any additional detail about the controller you put together for the BPM? What did you start with? Other than the fets, larger cap, bigger wires, what else did you do to handle the increase in voltage?

Thanks,

len

Everything you ever wanted to know about the controller is right here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12616&hilit=6fet Once you read this you will understand why I was confident to go down this path. I think I am running things well within the controller's capabilities.

ManxE said:
Well done Kepler - it looks really agile. Like a Velociraptor compared to the Bomber's T-Rex!
Can Al also do stoppies on it now that the back wheel has less weight?
I guess John & Co were suitably impressed!

Does stoppies super easy. I will get Al to do some next time I am over at the factory. With the forward battery position, weight distribution is close to 50/50. I will also get Al to show us a few of his other tricks. One I like is when he rides up to a wall with the front wheel up in the air, parks and balances for a second at a 45 degree angle, then flips around and rides off.

Both John and Al I think were a little surprised just how much torque this setup had. I am sure it has him thinking. Essentially I am unofficially beta testing some new setup's for him which at the end of the day is good for everyone.

Looks great,

Nice little zit.. zit... zit sound from the motor but nothing aggravating or over powering. In regard to controllers I am using a stock 45a 12 fet 9c controller I purchased of john a while back and have had no issues with 2800w peeks. i don't see you having any issues with a modified controller with 4110's .These motors aren't hard on controllers.

Kurt

Thanks for the video. Your bike is what I'd be having :wink:

I've seen Al doing wheelies on a car once :shock: :lol:

Nah, but here's a true story: someone just bought a Bomber, brings it back the next day to check if there's something wrong with it. Apparently it 'doesn't do wheelies'. So John calls "Hey Al, could you come over here for a moment and make sure this bike is alright"

Needless to say what happened next - Al pulls a massive wheelie, hands back the bike "Yeah, it's alright"

Kepler said:
Essentially I am unofficially beta testing some new setup's for him which at the end of the day is good for everyone.
Does that make me the alpha tester?? :lol:

Nice work Kepler.
So when is the drag race between yours and a stock fighter ?? :)

full-throttle said:
here's a true story: someone just bought a Bomber, brings it back the next day to check if there's something wrong with it. Apparently it 'doesn't do wheelies'. So John calls "Hey Al, could you come over here for a moment and make sure this bike is alright"

Needless to say what happened next - Al pulls a massive wheelie, hands back the bike "Yeah, it's alright"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al should just buy a unicycle and be done with :p

Some people seem to think you need big power to do a wheelie but it's all about balance once the front wheel is up (either under power or by yanking it). Not to detract from Keplers bike or anyone elses but I'm sure Al could hold a wheelie with only a 200w bafang

Hyena said:
Some people seem to think you need big power to do a wheelie but it's all about balance once the front wheel is up (either under power or by yanking it). Not to detract from Keplers bike or anyone elses but I'm sure Al could hold a wheelie with only a 200w bafang

That's true, its all about balance but sometimes you need power to maintain the wheelie. The wheelie at 1.15 couldn't be done on 200W thats for sure.

Beutiful Fighter Kepler,

Don't know if its just the the video, but other geared hub motors Ive seen sound noisier than that. Is your BPM any noisier than a gearless hub motor? It sure doesn't sound like it is. Once again, super nice build. Spoke with Darrin last night, he says my bomber may be here next week. Can't wait!! Been a long 6 weeks. I thought for sure that I would get bumped back a little when Darrin and John suggested I switch my order to the bomber. Apparently not. Great Guys and a great company. So.... When you gonna do a comparo between your fighter and a stock fighter. I am curiouse if there will be any accelleration differences. Your fighter at 2KW and a stock fighter at 3KW would suggest that the stock fighter would be faster. However, factor in your fighter's much lighter rolling weight and the geared hub, I wouldn't be suprised if it could beat stock fighter. Thanks for showing your build details and posting the video. Rubberside down, or, at least one wheel. Rix

Rix, get some pics up as soon as it arrives. They are easy to put together so you will be buzzing around in no time....just take itmeasynon the first couple of rides to allow the battery to settle in.

Justtoby,
Will do on the pics and I will definately take it easy on the battery break in. I got to see about getting a go pro and learning how to edit videos. There is some pretty bike trails around lake tahoe I would like to post and share with everyone on this this forum. Its neat to see different vidoes from riders around the world. Anyway I will post some pics within the next couple of weeks.

Rix

Back