E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

I just ordered a spoke torque wrench on eBay. I guess I need it, but I don't really know. The mechanic at REI was using one last time I had a wheel made. They're not cheap.

Rix said:
geared motors and 2.5kw set up. On my brain now. In fact, I will probably go that route with my Beta.
2.5kw through a geared setup is pushing your luck.
I'd have one in a heart beat on my beta if only it wasn't for the noise. Once you've had totally silent and smooth sinewave serenity it's hard to go back to anything else.
Justin at Grin should have his new motor available soon and I reckon that could well could find a new home on my beta. Direct drive so it'll take a few kw, can run in sine wave smoothness and best of all they've shaved off every bit of excess weight so it's under 4kg making it directly comparable to geared motors. Giggity! Sorry that's a bit off topic, as you were.

Theodore Voltaire said:
I just ordered a spoke torque wrench on eBay. I guess I need it, but I don't really know. The mechanic at REI was using one last time I had a wheel made. They're not cheap.
yeah i wanted one too, but i couldnt bring myself to pay yet...ya got to ease yourself into it :lol:

So, thanks to Jay's tip off on the ES facebook group, I bought 8 of these:
56845.jpg

They were simply too cheap to pass up at $65 AUD each, compared to the usual price of nearly $120 each.

Initially I will run 4 of them in a 2S2P config on my Recumbent, till I can sort an alternate 18650 battery for it, but once I've done that I will move all of them into the Fighter.
Originally I thought I would only be able to fit 6 of them in the Fighter as they are too long in one axis to fit the approx 120x120mm frame size, but a quick mock up of arranging them long side to short shows that I can actually fit 4 into 120x120mm...just.
DSC_3040.jpg

DSC_3041.jpg

So I just bought another 2 (thankfully they are still on sale).

This battery will be 1.77Kwh, or 40Ah. Not as big as the 2.5Kwh I had hoped for with the 18650 battery, but at $550 landed vs the $1500+ I was looking at for the 18650 pack I'm not complaining. :)

With this pack I should be able to get 60-70Km going flatout and 110km+ taking it easy in Eco mode. :)

Anyone in Aus with a Fighter looking for a cheap pack (hint hint Emmett), I would strongly recommend jumping on the current Hobby King sale while you can...there can't be many of the 10Ah packs left now...Jay bought all the 16Ah packs, and I saw the 8Ah packs disappear since yesterday.

Cheers

Hi, I'm considering getting the B-52. Im a guy in Brisbane, Australia, over 40 yrs old. A few questions:

1- Has anybody considered a detailed graphic for the main frame? There is a reasonably big area there, plenty of room for some nice graphics of whatever you like.
I did ask stealth about this and they replied they don't do that themselves.

2- What are the best lights available for it? I know they sell a good set of headlights for au$500. The best lights I have found are revolights revolights.com/products/360. They were nice enough to reply back to me within a few hours.

"We're sorry to say Revolights won't fit your wheels then. We only have 700c and 26" sizes.
As for speed, we test them on high speeds but we only rate the lights for up to 35mph." - revolights

Which is a real bummer as their lights are awesome.

3. Does anybody in Australia have some good stories about run=ins with the cops from riding on the road?

brisbanebikie said:
Hi, I'm considering getting the B-52. Im a guy in Brisbane, Australia, over 40 yrs old. A few questions:

1- Has anybody considered a detailed graphic for the main frame? There is a reasonably big area there, plenty of room for some nice graphics of whatever you like.
I did ask stealth about this and they replied they don't do that themselves.

2- What are the best lights available for it? I know they sell a good set of headlights for au$500. The best lights I have found are revolights revolights.com/products/360. They were nice enough to reply back to me within a few hours.

"We're sorry to say Revolights won't fit your wheels then. We only have 700c and 26" sizes.
As for speed, we test them on high speeds but we only rate the lights for up to 35mph." - revolights

3. Does anybody in Australia have some good stories about run=ins with the cops from riding on the road?

Here is one bike with custom graphics, I think it looks neat. As far as run ins with the cops, I have a run in with the cops every time I ride my Fighter. No problems though. They usually ask me how its going and what my work schedule is for a 10-5.

Attachments

• Custom Graphics.jpg
    Custom Graphics.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,394
Hyena said:
Rix said:
geared motors and 2.5kw set up. On my brain now. In fact, I will probably go that route with my Beta.
I'd have one in a heart beat on my beta if only it wasn't for the noise. Once you've had totally silent and smooth sinewave serenity it's hard to go back to anything else.
Justin at Grin should have his new motor available soon and I reckon that could well could find a new home on my beta. Direct drive so it'll take a few kw, can run in sine wave smoothness and best of all they've shaved off every bit of excess weight so it's under 4kg making it directly comparable to geared motors. Giggity! Sorry that's a bit off topic, as you were.
I figured a little liquid cooling. That kit you sold me for the bike we built for our Yosemite ride is bursting 1.8kw and not even an hint of problems yet. I figured with an oil bath cooling set up, 2.5 is totally doable. Justin's new motor is very interesting. Will be neat to see. And you know he will test it.

Cowardlyduck said:
56845.jpg

They were simply too cheap to pass up at $65 AUD each, compared to the usual price of nearly $120 each.

Initially I will run 4 of them in a 2S2P config on my Recumbent, till I can sort an alternate 18650 battery for it, but once I've done that I will move all of them into the Fighter.
Originally I thought I would only be able to fit 6 of them in the Fighter as they are too long in one axis to fit the approx 120x120mm frame size, but a quick mock up of arranging them long side to short shows that I can actually fit 4 into 120x120mm...just.
DSC_3040.jpg

DSC_3041.jpg

This battery will be 1.77Kwh, or 40Ah. Not as big as the 2.5Kwh I had hoped for with the 18650 battery, but at $550 landed vs the $1500+ I was looking at for the 18650 pack I'm not complaining. :)

With this pack I should be able to get 60-70Km going flatout and 110km+ taking it easy in Eco mode. :)

Anyone in Aus with a Fighter looking for a cheap pack (hint hint Emmett), I would strongly recommend jumping on the current Hobby King sale while you can...there can't be many of the 10Ah packs left now...Jay bought all the 16Ah packs, and I saw the 8Ah packs disappear since yesterday.

So these are 10C packs, that means 5C continues. Have you ran them yet? Curious about volt sag.

Cheers

Rix said:
Hyena said:
Rix said:
I figured a little liquid cooling. That kit you sold me for the bike we built for our Yosemite ride is bursting 1.8kw and not even an hint of problems yet. I figured with an oil bath cooling set up, 2.5 is totally doable. Justin's new motor is very interesting. Will be neat to see. And you know he will test it.

Cooling will help, but I think that the main problem is mechanical. First the clutch and then the gears. Lot of people have problems with clutches at or over 2,5kW with MACs so what they do is weld the clutch so the gears are engaged all the time then push it over 3kW and gears goes bananas.

Cowardlyduck said:

Cheers

1,77kwh?

6s10Ah = 3,7*6 = 22,2v *10ah = 222wh each pack....makes 1332wh for 6of these bricks.
Lipos with 10C discharge have most of the time only 90~95% of rated capacity.
So if you had "luck" and every has 9,5Ah usable, think about lipo "cliff" ~3,6v.

If you discharge to safe 3,6v from 4,2 you will happy about ~9,2Ah

Just for you plans: if you squeeze out 1,25Kwh of these packs, everything is expected.

Rix said:
So these are 10C packs, that means 5C continues. Have you ran them yet? Curious about volt sag.
10C continuous, but I'm only expecting 2.5-5C continuous. With 4 in parallel 2.5C still gives me 100A...more than enough to satisfy my needs. :)

Merlin said:
1,77kwh?

6s10Ah = 3,7*6 = 22,2v *10ah = 222wh each pack....makes 1332wh for 6of these bricks.
Lipos with 10C discharge have most of the time only 90~95% of rated capacity.
So if you had "luck" and every has 9,5Ah usable, think about lipo "cliff" ~3,6v.

If you discharge to safe 3,6v from 4,2 you will happy about ~9,2Ah

Just for you plans: if you squeeze out 1,25Kwh of these packs, everything is expected.
Merlin, I think you missed the part where I said I'll be running 8 packs. 6 was the original estimate, but then I realised I can squeeze in 8.

Your right though about real usable capacity. I only expect to have 1.5Kwh regularly usable, but I do think I will be able to get 1.7 when I do long distance rides where I'm just sipping electrons the whole time. I've done this before with Lipo and when you only chew them at 1C or less, you do actually get the rated capacity...at least for the first 100 or so cycles.

Cheers

Theodore Voltaire said:
Everything is going a lot better today. I installed the stock spokes, and amazingly I think they're just about perfect. They end up very close to the rim, but not quite protruding into the rim. I'm using the new silver nipples. In this picture all the nipples are installed loosely with 1 turn.

Because of the wide spacing of the spokes off the centerline, I think that's going to eliminate some of the bad angle on the spokes.

Nicely done TV, super motard Bomber.

Thanks Rix

This is how I plan to do the truing. I just spend about 10 minutes working on evening it up, and it seems super easy. All these years I dreaded the thought of doing this, but somewhere along the way my skill level must have passed the people that were telling me how hard it is. This is about the only thing on a bike I can think of that I've never done.

I appears I'll need to pull the rim a little to the left. I don't know if the motor is really centered in the swing arm anyway, but I don't plan to change it from stock. I'm just going to center the rim, and call it good.

Does it look like the angle on the spokes is less than stock? It doesn't seem like they're bending as much, but they're also not real tight yet.

one4torque said:
TV - I thought you had a red bomber? Did you buy another one for this project?
I'm learning from your trail-blazing and quality pics... and thoughtful postings . >

Thanks 0ne4

Yes it's still red, you just can't see it in that picture.

I know you'll understand this since you're a fellow Stealth, and Storm rider. Last summer I rode a critical mass in Dallas. There were 5 Storms there that day, but of course I had the only Bomber. I've been on a crusade since that day to make sure I never have to experience the shame, and embarrassment of tiny dick rims when parked next to a lowly Storm ever again :)

Hi folks, been reading regularly though not posting,
Who says we can't play in the mud! I expect there will be a bit of water inside the frame, though for the most part my water proofing seems to have worked.

For the last few days I've been regularly enjoying the wettest trails I've ever ridden the Bomber along and it's going fine.

Also I had my first tubliss flat today since installing it months ago (maybe more than 6 months, have to check this forum). I am yet to whip the tyre off to see what failed. I will let you.
Cheers

Attachments

• wetBomber.jpg
    wetBomber.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 4,016
Got my 18x1.4 rim laced up to a TC4080, going on my Bomber, this wheel/motor combo is 12ibs lighter than the current rim/motor combo I am running. Taking the Bomber to the next level. Fighter rim with TC3065 to follow. To make this happen, I had to mod the shit out of the rims spoke holes, ruined one rim figuring out how to make this work. When Emmett gets his mounted, compare the photos of his to mine and everyone will see what I am talking about.

@ TV, nicely done with your wheel mod, will be neat to see on your Bomber.

@Cjona, like the way you ride amigo, thats what the Bombers and Fighters are intended to do, even if TV disagrees with me.

Attachments

• TC Rim 1.jpg
    TC Rim 1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4,016
  • TC rim.jpg
    TC rim.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,016
Hi, I’m considering getting the B-52. Im a guy in Brisbane, Australia, over 40 yrs old. A few questions:

I did ask stealth about this and they replied they don’t do that themselves.

“We’re sorry to say Revolights won’t fit your wheels then. We only have 700c and 26″ sizes.
As for speed, we test them on high speeds but we only rate the lights for up to 35mph.” – revolights

Was wondering what wheel size and speed had to do with lights till I googled Revo lights , they`re probably great for being seen but not so good for seeing where you are going , I have one of these lights which is very bright http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9x-CREE-XM-L2-LED-15000LM-Bicycle-light-Bike-Lamp-Headlamp-Headlight-20000mAh-/221644118060?var=&hash=item339b04d82c
Trouble is all the lights which have a wrap around O`ring to hold them on the bars tend to move when you do a jump or hit a hard bump . The stealth light has a solid bracket mount , but yer they`re pretty pricey , quality light though .
I`ve come across police 4 times now , each time they didn`t bat an eye lid . Once I was stopped at lights , the other times I was riding . I always pedal continuously when riding on roads ( even though I`m not putting in a lot of effort ) and don`t travel at high speeds . Try to draw as little attention to yourself as possible . Sometimes I wonder if it`s a matter of time but who knows ?

@tv, if u havnt worked it out already, to center the rim, slack the spokes a half turn on the side u want to move away from first, then tighten the ones on the side u want to move towards , repeat as needed.:wink:

Back