E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

1abv said:
The only logical, and moral thing to do at this point is to get a bigger battery pack and get a better motor.…. you know for safety…
Alternatively, you could further modify the motor to keep it cool. Ferro Fluid is great, but not as effective as other methods like oil cooling, water cooling or forced air flow cooling. I've had great success with the latter:
DSC_2517.jpg

This prevents the need to go to a large heavy hub motor.

Cheers

Rix said:
Hyena, if I didn't know better, QR put this out as a way for you and him to have a round 2 race.

gauntlet.jpg

hehe. Yes I was very pleased to hear the news yesterday. I'm glad they've decided to bring this category back as it brings a little more motor racing aspect to the event. I know it's all about encouraging the school kids, which is great, but watching hours of who can ride the slowest doesn't make for riveting viewing :lol:

Samd said:
Hmm. A few of us now have a handful of qs273 motors and sufficient planning time
Yeah, I fear it could get silly. haha. I'd be good to separate the categories to have "e-mtb crossovers" like the stealths - bikes that can still be ridden as mtbs rather than mixing them with full on motorbikes. But the event doesn't have that sort of scope and I guess they ARE calling this division the 1500 TT motorcycle class so it's aimed more at light motorcycles than overpowered bicycles. Certainly I think we'll see more of this sort of thing than previous years where it was dominated by stealth-esq bikes.
Personally I'm not going to go too silly with power. Given the battery limit is 1500whr that's only 20S 20ah and that's well within the realm of what the beta can hold. So I'll go for the most modest-high power I can put into a small package. Sure an alpha or a proper e-moto would take a heap more power but I think the performance for such a visually minimal bike will be impressive.
If I get my e-moto conversion sorted by then I'll take it up for for show and tell. But the battery will be waaay more than 1500whr.

CD funny you mention that... I was actually setting the bike up for liquid cooling. I wanted to see what the difference between air,ferro,and liquid.. maybe if I have a backup wheel I'll try out air action.. on another note I'm pretty confident that the factory settings in the cav3 for thermal rollback are very con
servative. Instead of 90-120 it could prob goto 110-140 at least.

1abv said:
Allrighty peeps… This is the giant WTF mutha rebuild of the Dinosaur…I have learned a boat load from this forum and this is compiling a lot of info that already exists…
I wanted to list every mod I have done but also describe why and what the result is so here goes..
welded up.

Upon further investigation I found:
The side panels were coming apart and were cracked so I had them welded and rebuilt.
Some of the Riv nuts were spinning so I had them welded in place.

The battery cable at the Anderson connector was frayed and came apartsee the pic…. So i rebuilt them and put in new anderson connectors..
[im]

There was a factory temp sensor installed in the engine but the wire was doubled back inside the cable run and not connected to anything.
I must have gone past 120c a few times at least...

Something I forgot to mention for the original owners of frames. I know its been said before, but as a reminder, Stealth does warranty the frames for life to the original owners. These repairs would have been covered by Stealth no questions asked. That said, the beautiful custom paint jobs you and one4torque have on your respective Bombers, that wouldn't be part of the warranty :lol:

Cowardlyduck said:
1abv said:
The only logical, and moral thing to do at this point is to get a bigger battery pack and get a better motor.…. you know for safety…
Alternatively, you could further modify the motor to keep it cool. Ferro Fluid is great, but not as effective as other methods like oil cooling, water cooling or forced air flow cooling. I've had great success with the latter:
DSC_2517.jpg

This prevents the need to go to a large heavy hub motor.

Cheers

No Justin's wind tunnel tests came in at almost exactly twenty watts per degree Celsius for both ferrofluid and forced venting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm thinking of going back to a single crown fork on my Fighter so I can move my DNM USD8 over to my new Flux Alpha frame.
I'm on a pretty tight budget, and really not after super high performance, although do want to avoid another stiff pogo stick like the RST Storm forks that came with the bike stock. After 4 years they were terrible. :roll:

So I've managed to find some 2016 RockShox Domain forks for a really good price:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=43489
43489_00_c.jpg

Landed it's €390 / $567 AUD / $432 USD
Are these cheap because they're bad?
All the review's I'm reading on them don't seem to indicate anything terribly wrong with them and they seem like they would do the job for me.

Am I missing any obvious single crown alternatives? Has to be 180mm, 1-1/8 steerer, 20mm axle.

Cheers

Thanks Millzy.
Yeah I'm not so sure about the second hand route as I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of forks. Keen to learn though, but if it would cost me the same to get the RockShocks new, I'd probably just go that route.

I also noticed that the deal above includes 2 sets of springs, hard/soft, which is nice for such a low price. :)

Cheers

CD you should be able to get some great deals locally now for second hand forks as you have winter now?
Often seen quality forks for cheap second hand, and it seems many riders do service their forks in the end of a season so if you keep a sharp eye on your Australian market places I am positive you will be able to find a quality fork second hand that was serviced before the bike was put away for winter storage.

And you most likely will save one hundred or two compared to the RS fork.

USD-6 ? They're "only" 160mm travel but that should be fine if set up correctly. If you're not doing the sort of riding that requires the extra strength of triple crown forks I suspect you wouldn't miss that little extra bit of travel either...

I haven't extensively tested them yet but I sent a set to Kelper a few weeks ago and he seems to really like them. I figure that a good endorsement considering he's tried all the stealth offerings. They certainly make for a sweet combo on the beta

Ever seen anybody put the Hurricane seat on a bomber? I got a cracked frame near the seat post. Thinking if it needs repair might as well try something new with it.

Hyena said:
USD-6 ? They're "only" 160mm travel but that should be fine if set up correctly. If you're not doing the sort of riding that requires the extra strength of triple crown forks I suspect you wouldn't miss that little extra bit of travel either...

I haven't extensively tested them yet but I sent a set to Kelper a few weeks ago and he seems to really like them. I figure that a good endorsement considering he's tried all the stealth offerings. They certainly make for a sweet combo on the beta
Thanks Jay. I was looking at the USD-6, but believe it or not I do actually need the longer travel. I have managed to bottom out my USD-8's a few times on the Fighter, so 180mm is the minimum I am willing to go down to. I do do the kind of riding that benefits from the extra strength of the triple crown forks, but I'm willing to give the single crowns another go when they seem to have improved the stiffness in the newer models. I'm also really after the manoeuvrability benefits of a single crown as it makes feeding the bike horizontally through gate slots and over fences heaps easier.
Also the USD-6 are $650 + shipping from cycling deal, vs the RockShox are $567 landed.

I'm going to have to get a LBS to install the new fork on my Fighter and move my USD-8's over to my Alpha, so I'm going to buy some brakes, and get the LBS to install them at the same time as I don't have the gear to bleed them myself.

My old front Gator brakes on the Fighter are pretty bad, but they are good enough on the rear when combined with Regen braking. So I'm thinking of re-using the front Gator brake from my Fighter as the rear on my Alpha, then getting new good front brakes for both bikes.
Again, I'm on a tight budget, but need something that will actually be able to pull the bike up properly unlike the Gator brakes.
I'm thinking the Magura MT2 are still the best option, but does anyone know if the hose nipples/ connections are universal.
Would I be able buy a set then swap the hoses from my Gator brakes over to the MT2's? Or would I just need to buy 2 front brakes and a new rear hose to move the front Gator to the rear?

Cheers

robohead said:
Ever seen anybody put the Hurricane seat on a bomber? I got a cracked frame near the seat post. Thinking if it needs repair might as well try something new with it.

A while back, I emailed Stealth about this, seems like it could be done but shimming for seat angle and drilling additional hole for mounting was needed. Would be a neat looking set up for sure.

Rix said:
robohead said:

A while back, I emailed Stealth about this, seems like it could be done but shimming for seat angle and drilling additional hole for mounting was needed. Would be a neat looking set up for sure.

Thanks Rix. Yeah I emailed them too shortly after I posted this asking if it can be done and how much for the parts. Hopefully they get back to me.

Cowardlyduck said:
Hyena said:

Thanks Jay. I was looking at the USD-6, but believe it or not I do actually need the longer travel. I have managed to bottom out my USD-8's a few times on the Fighter, so 180mm is the minimum I am willing to go down to. I do do the kind of riding that benefits from the extra strength of the triple crown forks, but I'm willing to give the single crowns another go when they seem to have improved the stiffness in the newer models. I'm also really after the manoeuvrability benefits of a single crown as it makes feeding the bike horizontally through gate slots and over fences heaps easier.
Also the USD-6 are $650 + shipping from cycling deal, vs the RockShox are $567 landed.

I'm going to have to get a LBS to install the new fork on my Fighter and move my USD-8's over to my Alpha, so I'm going to buy some brakes, and get the LBS to install them at the same time as I don't have the gear to bleed them myself.

My old front Gator brakes on the Fighter are pretty bad, but they are good enough on the rear when combined with Regen braking. So I'm thinking of re-using the front Gator brake from my Fighter as the rear on my Alpha, then getting new good front brakes for both bikes.
Again, I'm on a tight budget, but need something that will actually be able to pull the bike up properly unlike the Gator brakes.
I'm thinking the Magura MT2 are still the best option, but does anyone know if the hose nipples/ connections are universal.
Would I be able buy a set then swap the hoses from my Gator brakes over to the MT2's? Or would I just need to buy 2 front brakes and a new rear hose to move the front Gator to the rear?

Cheers

Brake lines are in general universal, but I don't think thats the case with the Gators. I know for certain the reservoir mounts are different between the Gator and MT2. If you buy the Magura MT2 new, they come with everything

Rix said:
Brake lines are in general universal, but I don't think thats the case with the Gators. I know for certain the reservoir mounts are different between the Gator and MT2. If you buy the Magura MT2 new, they come with everything

Speaking of MT2. I've always thought mine were great, but last week I rode my sons B52. I was pretty impressed with his MT4s. They felt almost almost twice as strong as mine based of how easy the lever pull is.

Thanks Rix and TV.

I might get the MT2 for my Fighter and the MT4 for the Alpha. The Fighter is going to be geared up as a light weight cross-country bike and the Alpha is all about power, who cares about weight, but I still need it to be able to stop.
I could get a full set front/rear of the MT2, and just the front MT4, then mount the MT2 rear onto the Alpha instead of moving the Fighters front Gator across. That might be easier than messing around trying to find compatible brake lines etc.

My next problem I need to check is if the steerer height my USD-8's are cut down to will still fit the Alpha.

Cheers

robohead said:
Rix said:
robohead said:

Thanks Rix. Yeah I emailed them too shortly after I posted this asking if it can be done and how much for the parts. Hopefully they get back to me.

I emailed them a while back pre b52 and I was told no can do.. but I suppose anything can be made to fit…..

Fellas as far as brakes goes i know i have said it about 20 times but Saints! I had mt4's on my bomber…switched to saints and I'm never going back!! So much better. More feel more braking ability...Anyway more pics to come..

Thanks 1abv.
The Saints would be great...the price not so much.

I think I'm sold on the MT2/MT4 combo, and I've just measured the DNM USD-8 steerer on my Fighter and 255mm left so heaps left for mounting to the Alpha.

I realised I need to get this stuff asap as I wanted to mount my 18S LiPo in my Fighter soon and I'll need to strip it somewhat to get the LBS to mount stuff.

Speaking of mounting stuff, I've already got a headsets on both bikes...do I even need a LBS to do it for me? I just watched a bunch of video's on how to mount forks and think I could probably do it myself if I'm careful.

Jay, the Chrome Alpha has some bearings already in the steerer tube. I'm guessing they will do the job with the USD-8's or should I get a new headset?

Cheers

Back