• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Allex said:
Theo - 76V is the correct value, even tho the pack itself is 72V. Good job on tranforming your bike to a 50's machine. The tire should have a red band around it.
Mafia - when the battery is fresh of the charger, you should see more than 69Volt when you hit the throttle. If not, than the battery is getting tired, probably some cells are sagging behind. See what Stealth Support have to say about that, you still have plenty of time on your warranty :)
i climb a street big hill full throttle all the way and my battery do not get down to 71.9V i dont know what is wrong :( but i feel my bike ok i feel more fast than the CA says i feel my bike torque good and the acceleration feels good too so what i can do ?

MAFIA said:
Allex said:
Theo - 76V is the correct value, even tho the pack itself is 72V. Good job on tranforming your bike to a 50's machine. The tire should have a red band around it.
Mafia - when the battery is fresh of the charger, you should see more than 69Volt when you hit the throttle. If not, than the battery is getting tired, probably some cells are sagging behind. See what Stealth Support have to say about that, you still have plenty of time on your warranty :)
i climb a street big hill full throttle all the way and my battery do not get down to 71.9V i dont know what is wrong :( but i feel my bike ok i feel more fast than the CA says i feel my bike torque good and the acceleration feels good too so what i can do ?

That is wierd, climbing a big hill wide open throttle and not seeing your volts drop below 71.9 volts hot off the charger is a good indicator that your battery is healthy. But that fact that you said you can't get over 47MPH when you used to go over 50MPH is strange as well. When you noticed your speed dropping, was it over the exact same terrain as before? Did you change your wheel size setting in the CA? Are you running different tires now? Was the drop in speed instantly, or gradual over time? A while back, I talked with another guy that noticed some speed loss and when he removed his stator from the hub motor, it was corroded as hell. Maybe that could slow things down.

Rick

Mr Lowbank said:
Just spoke to Bruce Collins Enterprises they are a importer for Shinko. they don't stock them but are going to find out about minimum order. does anybody have another source or interested in getting some in Australia to make up a bigger order.

Reply from Bruce Collins Enterprises

Regarding the sr241 shinko in a 2.75 x 19. They are available in minimum orders of 10.
But price will be $49.00 Inc. GST plus freight.
Payment would be due once the order is placed and order confirmation must be received by close of business on Friday 21/02/2014.
Apologies if this is short notice but the order cut off for next month production is Monday so the order must be placed by close of business of Friday.

That would be Freight from Melbourne Australia. Timeline is a bit short though.
Unless People are going crazy for these tyres not sure if we are going to get a order for 10 today!

Sure Mr Lowbank, I'll help things along with an order for 4. Seems like the best tire no doubt...all thanks to Rick.

Hyena said:
Yeah as Rix said they're rediculously expensive to air ship from the US due to their volumetric size. $49 isn't actually a bad price considering our AUD is only around 90c USD and as above they last aaaaages. Plus they're a superior tyre anyway IMO and really are pretty similarly priced to a fat bicycle tyres.
Is that + freight price ex China though or ex Melbourne ? Because that could add significant cost.

Just confirmed it is $49.00 Inc. GST landed in Melbourne. plus your freight out of Melbourne if needed. Just need another 4 orders to make 10

remf said:
Mr Lowbank said:
Just spoke to Bruce Collins Enterprises they are a importer for Shinko. they don't stock them but are going to find out about minimum order. does anybody have another source or interested in getting some in Australia to make up a bigger order.

Reply from Bruce Collins Enterprises

Regarding the sr241 shinko in a 2.75 x 19. They are available in minimum orders of 10.
But price will be $49.00 Inc. GST plus freight.
Payment would be due once the order is placed and order confirmation must be received by close of business on Friday 21/02/2014.
Apologies if this is short notice but the order cut off for next month production is Monday so the order must be placed by close of business of Friday.

That would be Freight from Melbourne Australia. Timeline is a bit short though.
Unless People are going crazy for these tyres not sure if we are going to get a order for 10 today!

Sure Mr Lowbank, I'll help things along with an order for 4. Seems like the best tire no doubt...all thanks to Rick.

Yah Remf, the SR241 tire is the best tire........that I have tried so far for ebike applications. Whether in the 3.00x17, 2.75x18 or 2.75x19, the SR241 is at the top. Some guys are running 244s and really like them, I haven't tried that tire yet.

fsmuggen said:
I read someone had a bike rippoff not so long ago.. I have just put together a prototype of my homemade creation.
It "knitters" like a electric fence when active.. I have not put my fingers on the metal yet, AND I don't want to either..
I can hear it's working:p

I missed this earlier, the pic wasn't viewable. Yah, El Zappo would be one hell of a deterent. Find some kid and offer him a buck to touch your bike :mrgreen:

Rick

Why is Stealth sponsoring a motorcycle racer in the Daytona 200? I think that's a stupid waste of money, and possible detriment to motor bicycles. The last thing we need is to be associated with motorcycles in any form. Unless Stealth is planning to come out with an electric motorcycle, they'd be better off sponsoring bicycle racers, or just spending money on advertising Stealth electric bikes.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2014/02/20/dustin-apgar-announces-stealth-electric-bikes-one-his-primary-sponsors-daytona-200#8wWiboq0wbbDgsUj.01

maybe thats partly why stealth bikes are so expensive.. :p
aren't you glad to know that $10K+/ bike is going towards marketing instead of product development or lower pricing.. :lol:

i kid.. stealth sponsors several riders most notably Ronnie Renner FMX star..
i personally think its great that ebikes are becoming more known & popular.. :twisted:

Theodore Voltaire said:
Why is Stealth sponsoring a motorcycle racer in the Daytona 200? I think that's a stupid waste of money, and possible detriment to motor bicycles. The last thing we need is to be associated with motorcycles in any form. Unless Stealth is planning to come out with an electric motorcycle, they'd be better off sponsoring bicycle racers, or just spending money on advertising Stealth electric bikes.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2014/02/20/dustin-apgar-announces-stealth-electric-bikes-one-his-primary-sponsors-daytona-200#8wWiboq0wbbDgsUj.01

Theodore Voltaire said:

Stealth wouldn't let something like this effect their pricing for us, the consumer. The more likely explenation is this racer at Daytona is a Stealth Bicycle owner and enthusiast. Also, the article notes that Stealth is the primary sponsor for this guy and his ride at Daytona 200 and references Darin Brin, the primary US Stealth Importer with DTR Motor Sports, which by the way, sell motorcycles ATV and pretty much all types of motorcycles. The sponsor ship may only entail entry fee and racing supplies such as fuel tires, salary for the pit crew, stuff like that. Ronnie Renner isn't Stealths only famous rider. I know of a Nascar racer, an actor, couple of football players and other celebrities that own and ride a Stealth bike. At last years arena/endurocross in Vegas, there was a team using a Bomber as a pit bike. Stealth keeps their high profile celebrity customers ID's private.

Rick

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
maybe thats partly why stealth bikes are so expensive.. :p
aren't you glad to know that $10K+/ bike is going towards marketing instead of product development or lower pricing.. :lol:

i kid.. stealth sponsors several riders most notably Ronnie Renner FMX star..
i personally think its great that ebikes are becoming more known & popular.. :twisted:

Theodore Voltaire said:

Read more: http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2014/02/20/dustin-apgar-announces-stealth-electric-bikes-one-his-primary-sponsors-daytona-200#8wWiboq0wbbDgsUj.01#ixzz2tuTServO

Read more at http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2014/02/20/dustin-apgar-announces-stealth-electric-bikes-one-his-primary-sponsors-daytona-200#28YHXiGoDezEm65s.99

Oh heck, I'm wrong. You don't think I'd actually read the whole article before I started bad mouthing it do you? It says in the article that Dustin Apgar rides a Hurricane 4.5, Plate #1 for Stealth Electric Bikes.

A hurricane is an electric motorcycle. Duh, I forget Stealth makes them. Just move along, nothing to see here.

in my opinion all stealth bikes are mopeds (w/ or w/out pedals)..
and all mopeds are motorcycles.. (albeit not the most super powerful, see above)
but you know what they say about opinions.. :wink:
but its all good i like mopeds! 8)

Theodore Voltaire said:
Oh heck, I'm wrong. You don't think I'd actually read the whole article before I started bad mouthing it do you? It says in the article that Dustin Apgar rides a Hurricane 4.5, Plate #1 for Stealth Electric Bikes.

A hurricane is an electric motorcycle. Duh, I forget Stealth makes them. Just move along, nothing to see here.

My son has an app on his phone that when he rides his bicycle it records, and graphs his speed, and altitude, and other statistics like ave speed, and top speed. He showed me a graph where he rode 45 minutes. Half was straight against a light wind, and half was with a tailwind. His average speed was about 10 mph, and top speed was 25 mph.

The graph confirmed what I thought I was noticing, that wind is better than downhill, framed in such a way as riding one direction against the wind, and then riding home in the opposite direction.

Uphill with the wind, is better than downhill against the wind.

Downhill against the wind, isn't as good as uphill with the wind.

Obviously if there's this big a difference at bicycle speed, there's a even bigger difference above 40 mph.

in my opinion all stealth bikes are mopeds (w/ or w/out pedals)..
and all mopeds are motorcycles.. (albeit not the most super powerful, see above)
but you know what they say about opinions.. :wink:
but its all good i like mopeds! 8)

You have to understand, laws aren't make by people with common sense. Moped, is a made up term to describe a certain type of narrowly defined motor vehicle. No Stealth model, either restricted, or unrestricted meets the definition of a moped in Texas.

In Texas there is a state statute that describes a vehicle such as a Stealth Fighter, or Bomber, that's restricted to 20 mph on it's own power, on level ground as an Electric Bicycle. The state insists it's an Electric Bicycle. But not a car, not a motorcycle, not a scooter, not a motor powered cycle, not a moped

A hurricane otoh can't be an Electric Bicycle, because they don't have pedals. There's no way a Hurricane could be ridden legally on the street here, but because they both have working pedals, and come from the factory restricted to 20 mph, a Fighter, or Bomber is legal to ride the streets. Any bike that can't be legally ridden on the street is useless to most people.

That's why I'm always so touchy about people referring to an electric bicycle as something it's not.

sorry to hear that..
in my state stealth is legally a moped.. w/ or w/out pedals..
unless your caught speeding.. then its a motorcycle..
no way it should be considered a bicycle (my opinion;)
but if you can get away w it more power to you!
personally I prefer offroad riding so road laws dont mean much there.. :mrgreen:

Theodore Voltaire said:
You have to understand, laws aren't make by people with common sense. Moped, is a made up term to describe a certain type of narrowly defined motor vehicle. No Stealth model, either restricted, or unrestricted meets the definition of a moped in Texas.

In Texas there is a state statute that describes a vehicle such as a Stealth Fighter, or Bomber, that's restricted to 20 mph on it's own power, on level ground as an Electric Bicycle. The state insists it's an Electric Bicycle. But not a car, not a motorcycle, not a scooter, not a motor powered cycle, not a moped

A hurricane otoh can't be an Electric Bicycle, because they don't have pedals. There's no way a Hurricane could be ridden legally on the street here, but because they both have working pedals, and come from the factory restricted to 20 mph, a Fighter, or Bomber is legal to ride the streets. Any bike that can't be legally ridden on the street is useless to most people.

That's why I'm always so touchy about people referring to an electric bicycle as something it's not.

sorry to hear that..
in my state stealth is legally a moped.. w/ or w/out pedals..
unless your caught speeding.. then its a motorcycle..
no way it should be considered a bicycle (my opinion;)
but if you can get away w it more power to you!
personally I prefer offroad riding so road laws dont mean much there.. :mrgreen:

So what you're saying is Stealth's are illegal to ride on the street where you live? That would explain it.

I'm Kike Ming brothers. Look at my Phasor. ever evolving. 100v Crown, can't help myself. California monster! :twisted:

Rix, Change the motor does cost more than changing the controller.
Why did you choose to swap the motor to gain torque and loose speed instead of swapping the controller to gain more torque and hold the same speed? Is it because you will loose loose travel distance(more amp draw)?
Thanks
Alex

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

Stealth wouldn't let something like this effect their pricing for us, the consumer. The more likely explenation is this racer at Daytona is a Stealth Bicycle owner and enthusiast. Also, the article notes that Stealth is the primary sponsor for this guy and his ride at Daytona 200 and references Darin Brin, the primary US Stealth Importer with DTR Motor Sports, which by the way, sell motorcycles ATV and pretty much all types of motorcycles. The sponsor ship may only entail entry fee and racing supplies such as fuel tires, salary for the pit crew, stuff like that. Ronnie Renner isn't Stealths only famous rider. I know of a Nascar racer, an actor, couple of football players and other celebrities that own and ride a Stealth bike. At last years arena/endurocross in Vegas, there was a team using a Bomber as a pit bike. Stealth keeps their high profile celebrity customers ID's private.

Rick

I think it is a good marketing move to associate themselves with motorsports, it is all about impressions VS expense, and for Ebikes it is all about awareness and getting people on the bikes to try them. There will be a lot of people at the Daytona 200, if Stealth is able to set up the display in conjunction with the sponsorship, they will be in front of thousands of people, and if test rides are available.. success! I believe you will see Stealth even more involved with motorsports, auto, motorcycle, etc.. it is a good fit. I race cars myself and approached them last year when I bought my Bomber, no luck at that time, but the premise was the same- imagine a Stealth tent set up next to our semi truck where the race cars are pitted, thousands of potential customers are able to come by and test ride one of the Stealth models over the 3 day period we are at the track.....Keep in mind the potential customer too, these are well to do folks, spectators coming in there sports cars to watch auto racing, drivers and teams who are always looking for the next cool pit vehicle to bring to the track with them, turbo charged side by sides, Segways, tricked out scooters, modified lifted golf carts, this is a great audience to get their bikes in front of. I wish I would of had the chance to throw my hat in the ring.. but like Rick said, they have some big name followers and celebrity owners a NASCAR racer, and that status usually trumps the lesser known guys in our sport. I enjoy my Bomber and the other brands of Ebikes I own and ride, hopefully I can put a deal together with one of the manufacturers this season, I really believe Ebikes are poised to take off here in the US, and I really enjoy talking with prospective new owners and sharing my enthusiasm for all Ebikes. "Raise the tide and we all float.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsaI04LnSP0

Hiring racers and sponsoring racers is a traditional way bike manufacturers have used to increase sales for ever, and ever, and that's a good thing. I'm just trying to point out that if Stealth wants to increase sales it's going to be better to cater to street riders, because there's 5 times more of us. In addition to that I believe that in the u.s. there's a huge practically untapped market for electric bicycles, that's starting to develop. That wasn't the case in the past, but now, because of advancements in battery technology electric bicycles are becoming a very practical, and desirable form of transportation in the city.

For many years Dallas has held the dubious honor of being considered the least bicycle friendly city in America. Now because of federal initiatives using phony baloney federal money, paved walking/biking trail are going in all over the city at a breakneck pace. Hundreds more miles are planned too. Same with bicycle lanes being added to existing streets. I'm pretty sure this is happening all over the country, and not just in Dallas. This is going to prime a potential electric bicycle explosion. Federal law says if you use federal money to build a trail, you have to allow electric bicycles to use them. It's one of the few examples of when our politicians ever got anything right.

Allex said:
Rix, Change the motor does cost more than changing the controller.
Why did you choose to swap the motor to gain torque and loose speed instead of swapping the controller to gain more torque and hold the same speed? Is it because you will loose loose travel distance(more amp draw)?
Thanks
Alex

Thats it, the motor is less demanding on the controller and battery. My battery is starting to get tired so I probably added 50-75 charge/discharge cycles on to its life. But there is a bigger part of this equation, I am not looking for top speed, just lots of off the line hill climging power. I could happily ride any ebike as long as it had lots of hill climbing power and goes at least 25mph. One of the power plants I am contemplating down the road for a custom mod is either the 5404 or Cromo running 12s (50v) @ 200 phase amps on an 18" MC rim running a 2.75x18 SR241. This would give a top speed around 27-28MPH and a metric ton of hill climbing power :twisted: . The point is, for me, ebikes are not about top speed.

It's understandable for anyone to custom tailor their bike to suit the type of riding they like to do best. I do the same thing, check my streamers lol.

Theodore Voltaire said:
It's understandable for anyone to custom tailor their bike to suit the type of riding they like to do best. I do the same thing, check my streamers lol.

Yah, you got it. Even though I don't fancy your streamers, you may not like it if your Bomber lost 13MPH at the cost of being a better hill climber. But for me, the Bomber is perfect, goes 39MPH, climbs steep stuff.

Rick

Back