• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Me, and Allex are city riders. We need a high top speed to keep that lady, texting on her cell phone from running us over with her suv. :roll:

Heheh, Actually I am a country boy, prefer the woods and fields over the Concrete :)
I like the 50mph, sure don't need more, but more torque and acceleration would definitely not hurt! When I got the bike I had my jaw way down, but now I am used to it and need more.
But you'll see, I will pimp it up :)

Allex said:
Heheh, Actually I am a country boy, prefer the woods and fields over the Concrete :)
I like the 50mph, sure don't need more, but more torque and acceleration would definitely not hurt! When I got the bike I had my jaw way down, but now I am used to it and need more.
But you'll see, I will pimp it up :)

Yes, Pimping out Stealth Bikes is one of most simple pleasures in life. :mrgreen:

Top speed isn't my main concern, range is more important to me. A high top speed is fun, but useless if you can't get there, and back.

Cautionary tale (water ingress) -

I live in a rainy place. Late last year I found myself riding during an increasingly rainy period during which I decided that it was too wet to use an electric bike. Due to a major problem with my garage door, I left my Bomber outside under a waterproof sheet and didn't ride it too much. What happened is that its motor took in a significant amount of water through the phase wire ingress (probably during riding) and when I stopped riding it the motor stayed cold and did not evaporate the water sitting in it. This water had a chance to start corroding the motor rotor's magnets in the lower/downmost part of the rotor, and these lifted and began to contact the steel bars on the stator hub, eventually shattering the magnets and seizing the hub.

I now have a motor needing new magnets.

Anyone else experience this problem? I'd like to hear from you...

Rix said:
MAFIA said:
Allex said:
Theo - 76V is the correct value, even tho the pack itself is 72V. Good job on tranforming your bike to a 50's machine. The tire should have a red band around it.
Mafia - when the battery is fresh of the charger, you should see more than 69Volt when you hit the throttle. If not, than the battery is getting tired, probably some cells are sagging behind. See what Stealth Support have to say about that, you still have plenty of time on your warranty :)
i climb a street big hill full throttle all the way and my battery do not get down to 71.9V i dont know what is wrong :( but i feel my bike ok i feel more fast than the CA says i feel my bike torque good and the acceleration feels good too so what i can do ?

That is wierd, climbing a big hill wide open throttle and not seeing your volts drop below 71.9 volts hot off the charger is a good indicator that your battery is healthy. But that fact that you said you can't get over 47MPH when you used to go over 50MPH is strange as well. When you noticed your speed dropping, was it over the exact same terrain as before? Did you change your wheel size setting in the CA? Are you running different tires now? Was the drop in speed instantly, or gradual over time? A while back, I talked with another guy that noticed some speed loss and when he removed his stator from the hub motor, it was corroded as hell. Maybe that could slow things down.

Rick
well and what about my bike die at 15.9 ohm when i remember that complete used a 17.8 ohm i remember my bike doing 52mph without pedaling i never change any setting on my CA i am running 24x3 duro razor right now and i remember my bike doing 50mph in any street and i loss 20 pounds of weight, when i look at the CA now when i go fast i look and see 44mph i says WHAT T F@#$! anyway i will put my gopro looking directly to the CA while riding and posted so stealth great community help me by the way thanks again Rix

MAFIA said:
well and what about my bike die at 15.9 ohm when i remember that complete used a 17.8 ohm i remember my bike doing 52mph without pedaling i never change any setting on my CA i am running 24x3 duro razor right now and i remember my bike doing 50mph in any street and i loss 20 pounds of weight, when i look at the CA now when i go fast i look and see 44mph i says WHAT T F@#$! anyway i will put my gopro looking directly to the CA while riding and posted so stealth great community help me by the way thanks again Rix

Well I'm no expert, but if your battery goes flat at 15.9 ah then it sounds like your battery is getting weak.

ManxE said:
Cautionary tale (water ingress) -

I live in a rainy place. Late last year I found myself riding during an increasingly rainy period during which I decided that it was too wet to use an electric bike. Due to a major problem with my garage door, I left my Bomber outside under a waterproof sheet and didn't ride it too much. What happened is that its motor took in a significant amount of water through the phase wire ingress (probably during riding) and when I stopped riding it the motor stayed cold and did not evaporate the water sitting in it. This water had a chance to start corroding the motor rotor's magnets in the lower/downmost part of the rotor, and these lifted and began to contact the steel bars on the stator hub, eventually shattering the magnets and seizing the hub.

I now have a motor needing new magnets.

Anyone else experience this problem? I'd like to hear from you...

Jim had the same problem in Florida. Here is a story, when I first got my 5404, I didn't vent it and after 6 months when I took the stator out to vent it, there was rust all over the inside hub shell flange, and magnets. My vented 5403 with a heavy coating of T9 Boeshield showed zero signs of corroding. I really think that venting the hub and coating with T9 is the hot set up for anti corrosion. When the stator is warm from riding, those vent holes allow the water to evaporate. I trully don't know why hub motors dont come vented.

Rick

I noticed that the magnets on the 5403 rotor are not attached with any epoxy/glue - just magnetism.
Has anyone any knowledge or experience with gluing these into place? Is it even necessary in a well-vented and lubricated hub?

I thought, I was even 100% sure that Stealth Reglued every single magnet when they got the hubs from the manufacturer. Maybe yours were glued but released after the corrosion?

ManxE said:
I noticed that the magnets on the 5403 rotor are not attached with any epoxy/glue - just magnetism.
Has anyone any knowledge or experience with gluing these into place? Is it even necessary in a well-vented and lubricated hub?

my magnets have been loose too (motor was moving while bike stands still, strange experience)

have done the re-glue together with dLogic, we used j-b-weld to glue

some pics are available here in this thread

Allex said:
I thought, I was even 100% sure that Stealth Reglued every single magnet when they got the hubs from the manufacturer. Maybe yours were glued but released after the corrosion?

No sign of any glue anywhere in mine, unfortunately :(

ManxE said:

That's not right. If they weren't attached, with glue, they would break loose like DH-Paule's did in his video. Literally the magnets would be spinning around the stator and inside of the hub and the wheel would move. Is that what yours was doing? The other part is your hub shell is aluminum, or should be, aluminum not being magnetic would mean that your magnets are only sticking to each other.
Rick

Hi Rick, no no...

In my motor all magnets have been loose, but I was able to ride the bomber. Except the motor was warm/hot and some more torque is needed (uphill). The hub shell is magnetic. This is needed that it works as a motor and it holds the magnets in position (if there is no glue anymore ;)

About the hubmotors, I cleaned the inside, applyed heat resistant rubber paint to the stator and magnets and I added a bag of sicagel with a ziptie. Changed the bearings and used some vaseline around the bearing and axel.

I will probably do that to when I open up the motor for the first time.
Anyone changed phase wires to bigger ones yet? I saw Dlogics video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y87_3CQKhw
But it did not mention what kind he used...

Theo, check it out. Some one took your pics:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stealth-Bomber-Electric-Bike-4500-Watts-9-Speed-50-MPH-Zero-Emission-BRAND-NEW-/121259039777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3b9a1c21

dh-paule said:
Hi Rick, no no...

In my motor all magnets have been loose, but I was able to ride the bomber. Except the motor was warm/hot and some more torque is needed (uphill). The hub shell is magnetic. This is needed that it works as a motor and it holds the magnets in position (if there is no glue anymore ;)

My bad, what do that have under the magnets on the hub shell, a peice of metal strip? I checked the outside of my hub shell with my magnet pocket screw driver, its aluminum and not magnetized.

Rick

Allex said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stealth-Bomber-Electric-Bike-4500-Watts-9-Speed-50-MPH-Zero-Emission-BRAND-NEW-/121259039777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3b9a1c21

That's the store where I bought my bike, but I got free shipping.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Allex said:

That's the store where I bought my bike, but I got free shipping.

Looks like they're not offering free shipping anymore. I'm glad I bought mine when I did. I got it for 9/9, free shipping, no sales tax, no nothin to my door.

I went on a bicycle ride yesterday. Of course I had the only electric. These were casual inner city riders, not spandexers. The ride was only 11 miles. What I found interesting was several of the riders rode the train to and from the ride. I never thought about it much before, but in Dallas you can take your bicycle on the train for no extra charge. Electric bicycles included, but no gas bikes. If I was across town and got a flat or some kind of breakdown I could theoretically hop the train and get to within 2 miles of my house.

Rix said:
Sounds like Dallas is becoming a bike friendly metropolis.

I'm happy to report that all of Texas is very motor bicycle friendly. In many states with virtually identical wording to Texas motor vehicle laws people riding gas powered motor bicycles are being harassed off the streets. Florida is a good example. Their statutes have almost identical wording to Texas, but they're waging war on china girls. Texas authority's don't bother us in any locality's anywhere in the state. The only difference between Florida and Texas is the way authority's have decided to interpret the same wording it their statues.

So I had a bit of a fail today, collected a rock at high speed and buckled my new back rim and wrecked the tube. 1.5hrs walk from home I soon found out :x
Anyone had to leave their stealths behind while they hoof it for parts/rescue vehicle ?

I hid mine near where I came unstuck and while it was pretty bloody unlikely anyone would come across it there's always a chance I guess.
Mind you with a dead flat rear tyre it's no fun to push any distance over rough terrain so they'd have to be pretty determined :lol:
I took the key and battery isolator loop just incase. And it was stashed a few metres off the track in pretty thick bush (pic below from the track) Not surprisingly it was still there 2 hrs later when I returned. Easy to miss in miles of bushland where it all looks the same though, so S marks the spot :p

Off topic, but I saw this pic today TV and it made me think of you :lol:

1888638_2143980342323872_62848370_n.jpg

Back