E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

arcticfly said:
My Bomber has been injected with steroids from Russia! My goodness it goes like a rocket. Allex brought me a Max-E and after two days of swearing it is now up an running.

Oh YAH!!! Please let us know what happens with your 5405 on it.

For any NSW Australia Stealth owners, the exhibitor list for the Hunter EV Festival this weekend at Cameron Park is getting impressive. I'll be there exhibiting but placed right next to Tesla :mrgreen: Mercedes - might be a bit hard to focus on you if I get a bit swarmed, but by all means, swing past and say g'day, hope you enjoy the festival. Should be an awesome couple of days. I might ask you to stick around on occasions if people are after independent owners advice, rather than from a dealer.

You can find out more about the festival at https://www.facebook.com/hunterevfestival and http://www.hunterevfestival.net For any of you on FB, if you can spare the organisers a 'like', I'm sure they'd appreciate the support in pulling this fantastic event together. They work hard to pull this together each year, but its growing, year on year. Entry is free, but a gold coin donation would be appreciated. The school kids race on Sunday is worth coming along to support, they're really at the heart of this event, working as teams to create and race their own bikes. We've got some guys making a massive journey right across Australia from WA to come and participate.

Hyena, look forward to catching up with you there. Hope you enjoy your track time and keep it rubber side down. :D I'll be fronting up with a couple of busted ribs (thanks to some play time on my sons BMX), so might not be riding at silly pace..don't need more. Please hold off on the funny jokes.

If any of you are business owners interested in backing next years event and getting some kudos for it, take a look at http://www.hunterevfestival.net/become-a-sponsor.html

Ironic that I'd go if my LEAF could make the distance :?

Sounds like a great event! Hopefully there'll be a DC Fast Charger on the freeway for next year.

It was great riding my Bomber to school tonight. I rode the Tomos to school Saturday, and the thrill was definitely gone. It was like going back to the Flintstone mobile.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Villain said:
Theodore, can you check something for me? Once you have your swing arm pivot bearings back on, disconnect your shock. Then check the smoothness of the pivot bearings by moving the swing arm up and down by hand. Let us know what you find.

Villain, after tightening the end caps and undoing the shock, the swing arm moves perfectly smooth, like velvet. There's zero side to side play too.

That's great news T.V.
On my personal bomber my bearings are not "velvet" smooth. I just wanted to see what yours were like.
Thanks for checking.

Theodore Voltaire wrote:
Villain wrote:

Theodore, can you check something for me? Once you have your swing arm pivot bearings back on, disconnect your shock. Then check the smoothness of the pivot bearings by moving the swing arm up and down by hand. Let us know what you find.

Villain, after tightening the end caps and undoing the shock, the swing arm moves perfectly smooth, like velvet. There's zero side to side play too.

That's great news T.V.
On my personal bomber my bearings are not "velvet" smooth. I just wanted to see what yours were like.
Thanks for checking.

When I read this I knew exactly where you were going Villain. After having my VBoxx serviced recently I found my swingarm was not velvet smooth either! Initially I found that the previous owner must have over-tightened the swingarm pivot bolts which had deformed the swingarm pivot clamp causing it to "pinch" the bearing (it was hard to even position over the bearing not being circular any more). I managed to "bend" the clamp back into the right shape before re-attaching the swingarm, but the swingarm has the slight "clicking" feeling when moved up and down. This shows that it is vital that you do not over tighten those pivot bolts! The design is to have a small gap between the clamp piece and the swingarm itself on each side. I found the 10Nm quoted earlier (and recommended by Stealth) far too tight, closing the gap completely and deforming the bearing. I think my bearings are also half dead. I guess once Stealth decided to go with the VBoxx they were locked into using these bearings. They will be replaced next time I take off the swingarm.

Villain said:
Theodore Voltaire said:
uh oh, I accidently found a problem. It looks like my right side swing arm bearing has lost all it's bearings. All I see are the inner and outer races. Has anyone replaced this bearing before?

The bearing is a 6808-2RS.
Tighten the swing arm pivot bolts to 10Nm with some loctite.
When you remove the part on the vboxx that holds the sprocket be very careful not to move the shaft going into the box. If you move it from side to side you may put the shifting mechanism out of alignment. The only fix for this according to Dlogic is to pull the whole box apart and realign everything. You don't want this!
Goodluck.

Villain, you saved the day by telling me the part number of the bearing. Without that I'd probably still be sitting on my ass waiting for Stealth to send me replacement parts. Thanks again.

Sigmacom said:
When I read this I knew exactly where you were going Villain. After having my VBoxx serviced recently I found my swingarm was not velvet smooth either! Initially I found that the previous owner must have over-tightened the swingarm pivot bolts which had deformed the swingarm pivot clamp causing it to "pinch" the bearing (it was hard to even position over the bearing not being circular any more). I managed to "bend" the clamp back into the right shape before re-attaching the swingarm, but the swingarm has the slight "clicking" feeling when moved up and down. This shows that it is vital that you do not over tighten those pivot bolts! The design is to have a small gap between the clamp piece and the swingarm itself on each side. I found the 10Nm quoted earlier (and recommended by Stealth) far too tight, closing the gap completely and deforming the bearing. I think my bearings are also half dead. I guess once Stealth decided to go with the VBoxx they were locked into using these bearings. They will be replaced next time I take off the swingarm.

I just checked my bearing races of my failed bearing, and they're not deformed. I remember when I first removed the clamps on the swing arm, the bolts didn't feel overly tight. When I installed the clamp, I used a Allen wrench that's only 4" long. It doesn't seem like I could even put enough force on the bolts to deform the bearing with it. My clamp doesn't touch the swing arm, there's about a 1/16" gap at the top and bottom on both sides.

For the bearing to get deformed I would suspect the swing arm opening to be the culprit, more than the clamp. I expect the clamp to deform before the bearing, but the swing arm is a different story. If the size of the hole in the swing arm is too small diameter I can see how the clamp would squeeze the bearing into it, causing it to deform.

This is probably an area that everyone should check on their Bomber, I know I'll be keeping a closer eye on it from now on.

proper159 said:
Anyone have an extra Stealth rim they want to sell?

I got a brand new grey rim, that came off my Fighter when I went to the MC wheel. It the same as the Bomber. Pm me if interested.

Had something in the works for a while now on the Fighter and got it up and running. I have an almost brand new stock Fighter battery for sale. Its the standard 18ah battery that comes with all Fighters, has 32 cycles on the battery. Its just been sitting around, I won't use it again. PM if intersted.

Personally I would never buy a stock Stealth rim, because they're too narrow. A better rim would be at least 50mm wide. The stock one is only about 30mm.

Rix said:
proper159 said:

I got a brand new grey rim, that came off my Fighter when I went to the MC wheel. It the same as the Bomber. Pm me if interested.

Had something in the works for a while now on the Fighter and got it up and running. I have an almost brand new stock Fighter battery for sale. Its the standard 18ah battery that comes with all Fighters, has 32 cycles on the battery. Its just been sitting around, I won't use it again. PM if intersted.
Tried looking for something in that spec, where could I find something like this?
Theodore Voltaire said:
Personally I would never buy a stock Stealth rim, because they're too narrow. A better rim would be at least 50mm wide. The stock one is only about 30mm.

Shop here.. Exactly like Stealth without the stickers.. http://sun-ringle.com/, On the inside of the rim does is state manufacture?

proper159 said:
Rix said:
proper159 said:

Tried looking for something in that spec, where could I find something like this?
Theodore Voltaire said:

I thought you were going to buy motorcycle rims. There should be all kinds of choices of those.

Here's the one's I like in 24". These are 50mm wide.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2014/Parts/Cruiser/Wheels/24-Cruiser-Wheel.aspx

Theodore Voltaire said:
proper159 said:
Rix said:
proper159 said:

Theodore Voltaire said:

I thought you were going to buy motorcycle rims. There should be all kinds of choices of those.

Here's the one's I like in 24". These are 50mm wide.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2014/Parts/Cruiser/Wheels/24-Cruiser-Wheel.aspx
Yep in the process of doing this but need a rim replacement for the time being since I ride everyday. The rear rim that is cracked is beginning to wobble and I thought I bought one on Ebay but the seller cancelled the order since he only has white rims.

bikerloosey said:
Shop here.. Exactly like Stealth without the stickers.. http://sun-ringle.com/, On the inside of the rim does is state manufacture?
Those are some nice rims but the Stealth rims have been modified in order to accomodate the larger spokes around the motor. The larger holes is the reason my rim cracked along each hole.

proper159 said:
Yep, I'm in your city too Morati. Steve told me about your 888s....look awesome. I drempt of riding from December to April...I stopped riding December 15th and was back on the bike in early April but right away had some set backs with a broken torque plate and now a broken seat frame, shocks etc. Did you ask Bike Zone to see if they can fix the vboxx?

Broken seat frame too here todat after 1500 km (2012 model as well) :roll: ...Could you detail me how you got it fixed? Do you need a special wield?

courcheval said:
proper159 said:
Yep, I'm in your city too Morati. Steve told me about your 888s....look awesome. I drempt of riding from December to April...I stopped riding December 15th and was back on the bike in early April but right away had some set backs with a broken torque plate and now a broken seat frame, shocks etc. Did you ask Bike Zone to see if they can fix the vboxx?

Broken seat frame too here todat after 1500 km (2012 model as well) :roll: ...Could you detail me how you got it fixed? Do you need a special wield?
I took photos of the cracks abs sent it to Stealth. They'll send you a new one within a week. I'm waiting for a thicker version that will take them a month to produce. On my second seat frame that cracked, the body of the bike frame also cracked and I had to get that welded. My bike shop where I got the Stealth offered to weld the seat frame and reinforce it, so it can be done.

I recommend that you stop riding immediately and contact Stealth support.

Sucks to hear about another seat post sub-frame crack...I hope it doesn't catch on, for Stealth's sake at least. My replacement is holding up well. :)

What are others doing for front mud guards these days?

My flimsy Defender M3 snapped the other day. The 3mm thick steel literally snapped after 2+ years of flapping over every bump. :lol:

I was about to pull the trigger on this one to replace it:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/topeak-defender-front-mudguard-xc1/rp-prod74887
topeak-defender-xc1-mud-guard-front-TC9625.jpg

But then I saw they are only recommended up to 2.6" wide tires, so not sure they will be ok on my 3" wide Duro's.

I'm keen on the idea of guards that mount like the one's above as the other type, mounted under the down tube, tend to be less effective and seem to break more easily. Does anyone else run front mud guards in this style?

Cheers

Results are in for the Hunter EV Festival held today at http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3221472

Enjoyed my meal of smoked Hyena today. Delicious. :D

Couple of fun images from yesterdays practice session at https://flic.kr/p/otcHzn and https://flic.kr/p/oKzvCE.

Amazing what you can do with a standard Stealth Fighter. If you ever get the chance to enjoy a moment on a go kart track with one, grab it, you won't regret it.

Any takers now for the 2015 Hunter EV Festival? Was great to see a few other Stealth owners turn up out of the blue at the event and to share some time to chat, compare notes.

Cowardlyduck said:
What are others doing for front mud guards these days?

My flimsy Defender M3 snapped the other day. The 3mm thick steel literally snapped after 2+ years of flapping over every bump. :lol:

CD,

Been using the QMS front Mudguard on the Fighter(Front) and Bomber(Front and Rear). Holding up well and looks like this:
http://www.fareinc.com/Fighter-Kirk-077/Frame_failure/content/CN1Q1767_large.html

Here it is on the Bomber:
http://www.fareinc.com/Bomber_Kirk-065/QMS/content/IMG_0414_large.html

Both bikes use a Fox Van front fork-easy mounting of fender. Ask QMS for price of just the front fender.

QMS: http://www.quigleymotorsport.com/accessories.html

Jim

QuietRush said:
Enjoyed my meal of smoked Hyena today. Delicious. :D
I'll make sure my kids pay closer attention to the important life lessons imparted by the author of 'The tortise and the hare' :p

Couple of fun images from yesterdays practice session at https://flic.kr/p/otcHzn and https://flic.kr/p/oKzvCE.
Great pics! I noticed more photographers around the track today so hopefully there's more good pics to come.
Here's a few quick ones that my crew snapped that you were in too and also one from yesterday of our 2 bikes.

raptor and fighter.jpg

HEV-0.jpg

HEV-3.jpg

Amazing what you can do with a standard Stealth Fighter
Absolutely, and those new ones have got some real sting. Stealth have certainly come a long way from the old 408 powered stealth fighter!

Any takers now for the 2015 Hunter EV Festival?
I've got 364 days to clear my schedule!
Enjoy that first place trophy my friend, you won't be getting another one next year :p :mrgreen:

proper159 said:
courcheval said:
proper159 said:

I took photos of the cracks abs sent it to Stealth. They'll send you a new one within a week. I'm waiting for a thicker version that will take them a month to produce. On my second seat frame that cracked, the body of the bike frame also cracked and I had to get that welded. My bike shop where I got the Stealth offered to weld the seat frame and reinforce it, so it can be done.

I recommend that you stop riding immediately and contact Stealth support.

The beauty of cromolly that Stealth uses in their frames is that it doesn't let go all at once. There is no danger of riding and all of sudden, the frame completely breaks and your are sitting on the tire. I rode my Bomber with the cracked seat post for quite a bit before I welded it up. Stealth was in the process of making new ones which I got a replacement for, but I didn't want to wait. Agree that couch should contact Stealth about a replacement and have a welder tack his up for the time being if he doesn't want to wait to ride.

Back