• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

allrighty.. pic of the 2 stands in action..

14999823127_ae5720a5db_z.jpg

Pic of the MT4 rear brake. Note the rotor has been spaced out so i could move the caliper out to not hit the bolts especially when turning right. Took me 2-3hours to get the bugger perfectly inline. Almost Every bolt required a different thickness spacer. Im sure as soon as it heats up all is for not..... Also I removed the lockwashers on the motor cover to give me more space. Gonna go for a ride in the morn and see if they loosen. if it gets too bad perhaps some threadlocker blue is in order...

14999714400_6a85716c2c_z.jpg

Theodore Voltaire said:
Proper on his last bike, before he bought a Bomber.

Yep lol...ah I'm fortunate to be alive today. Stealth is gonna fix the axle for me since the bike is still under warranty. Turns out that Axle lock is what I really needed (earlier models didn’t come with them).

Cowardlyduck said:
Rode through a pretty deep stream the other day on my Fighter.
[youtube]iMIEGfayg30[/youtube]
(Video still uploading at time of posting...give it an hour or so)
This was on my commute to work to...so had to cross it one way or another.

Cheers
Video is private...

My latest vid. Hope you guys enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSiBsL0nvU

Attachments

• Desert vid.jpg
    Desert vid.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3,349
Hey Rix,
I'm thinking about installing a Cromotor V3 in my Fighter. Would that be a good choice? I think Greyborg sells them. Also, the LBS doesn't think that I need a rear gear set on my bike. I guess they didn't want my money. What would be a good set to use? I did order a RockShox adjustable seat post. Should be in this week.

Sorry! Noob alert!

SamM

SamM said:
Hey Rix,
I'm thinking about installing a Cromotor V3 in my Fighter. Would that be a good choice? I think Greyborg sells them. Also, the LBS doesn't think that I need a rear gear set on my bike. I guess they didn't want my money. What would be a good set to use? I did order a RockShox adjustable seat post. Should be in this week.

Sorry! Noob alert!

SamM

No worries about the Noob stuff, we were all there once :mrgreen: . Read some of my old posts, you will see what not very enlightened at all. Thanks to patient guys like Hyena, Kepler, and others, I learned the good stuff along the way. [quoteI'm thinking about installing a Cromotor V3 in my Fighter][/quote] I haven't tried cromotor yet, but I did recently try the 5403 on my Fighter which is what the Bombers come with. Similar in weight to the cromo with about 1.5 pounds more. Went faster top speed, no acceleration advantage at all, but that was because the 5403 has a 3 turn stator vs the H4080s 4 turn stator. Anyway I felt it in the handling as it handle a little slower, which is what would most likely happen with the Cromo. The Cromo has a 4 turn so it would no doubt accelerate harder than the 5403 and 4080 with less top speed than the 4080 due to its wider stator. All in all, I liked the smaller H40 our motors come with much better in terms of handling and every where else. I even contemplated putting a 5404 on my Fighter, but after comparing the 4080 to the 5403, I don't want to mess with Stealth's perfection combo on the Fighter. Don't get me wrong, if you want flow huge current through the most durable set up out there, and you want speed and power like no other hub motor that a free wheel can be mounted to, the 5403, 5404, 5405, and Cromotor are the very best options currently available. This is one of the reasons why Stealth uses the 54xx on the Bombers. I think the sweet compromise is going to be the TC4080 when they come out with the standard spoke flange instead of the straight pull that's available now. Then I can lace one of those to a MC rim of my choice. Hopefully that day comes soon so I can find out. As far as your free wheel goes, yah the LBS was correct, you don't need a new one. The fact that they steered you away from purchasing something you didn't need is a good sign. This tells me these guys are looking out for their customers. I would continue to do business with them. That said, I just picked up a White Industries 16t Free Wheel. It is the best piece of bicycle jewelry I have ever seen. No doubt that will be on the TC4080 when I get one for my Fighter. Only the best for my mean green machine.

Rix,
Thanks that helps a lot. The Cromotor is much wider and as you mentioned heavier. I agree with your assessment. It's likely to be too much of a compromise and in the end, I'd not be happy.

Nice to see that the LBS is looking out for me. I may have to look at that White Industries 16T freewheel though.

The controller is probably what I will change out first. I don't like the jerky or sometime finicky on or off throttle.

Thanks again!

SamM

Rix said:

Nice vid Rix. Your editing is getting better and better.

16T free wheel? I assume taller gearing? I might be interested in one of those.

anybody looking for a cheap bomber ?

http://fischer-electronics.com/index.php?id_product=182&controller=product

Take care !!!
Dont buy, there must be something wrong

Allex said:
Good price, even cheaper than the Ugly Optibike
http://fischer-electronics.com/index.php?id_product=180&controller=product

It's in Scotland. If I lived near there I would have to trot on over and check it out.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Rix said:

Nice vid Rix. Your editing is getting better and better.

16T free wheel? I assume taller gearing? I might be interested in one of those.

Thanks Allex and Theodore, learning little bits here and there, they will continue to improve, I hope. For some reason, my GP will let me speed up the frames but not slow mo them. Maybe an excuse for an upgrade, way down the road. [quoteNice jumps Rick! So you had equal acceleration with the 5403, that is good to know! I need to go with 4turn route as well...][/quote] Yah, the 5403 felt the same as the 4080, and I was running a 17MC wheel with the HF307 2.75-17 trials tire on the 5403, which is 3/4" smaller diameter than the 2.75-18 TR1 I have on the 4080. The 5403 would go a few MPH faster though, even though the hub is bigger diameter than the 4080, the 3 turn stator offsets that. No doubt in my mind a 5404 would have pulled a bit harder.
16T free wheel? I assume taller gearing? I might be interested in one of those
yah the white bros free wheels are pricey, but worth it. You will see when you get one.

Allex said:
I heard that White industries are very noisy, true?

noisy ?
is the american v8 aound a noise ?

the same for white industries and chris king at bicycles ;)

Rix did you upgrade your Fighter to 4080 as the sock is a 4065?

As a lord of the RIMs, have you or some one pysicaly tried these two motors? There must be some trade offs between the 2 and would love to hear more experiences out there.

Its been said the 4080 is more efficiciant at higher speeds so if your riding style is majority speed demond then this is good for battery range.

Runnining 540X and cromotors on a Fighter swing system will weigh down the rear end which might not result in good swing / suspention performance unless you ride on pavement and flats only.

TC4080? is this speculation or is there more known about this? I have heard the Crown TC series is moving away from straight pull spokes.

And as Alex has pointed out, MXUS 3000 should not be over looked.

cut cat said:

As a lord of the RIMs, have you or some one pysicaly tried these two motors? There must be some trade offs between the 2 and would love to hear more experiences out there.

Its been said the 4080 is more efficiciant at higher speeds so if your riding style is majority speed demond then this is good for battery range.

Runnining 540X and cromotors on a Fighter swing system will weigh down the rear end which might not result in good swing / suspention performance unless you ride on pavement and flats only.

TC4080? is this speculation or is there more known about this? I have heard the Crown TC series is moving away from straight pull spokes.

The TC 4080 isn't a rumor. Here are some pics from Kenny, and looks like for certification ID, they are classing the TC40XX as TC5X. As far as my motor goes, I don't think its a 4065. Stealth hasn't actually told me what it is, and I haven't asked, I based it on the fact that I am getting 41-43 MPH (66-69KPH) off 55 volts which is my sag WOT hot off the charger. WOT Wheel off the ground I am hitting 51MPH or about 82 KPH, on 57 volts. I think this is too fast to be a 4065 with those numbers and I don't have over% programming selector. And my speed is really accurate, 1MPH faster than my radar reads.
will weigh down the rear end which might not result in good swing / suspention
With you on that, when I tried the 5403, its handling wasn't as lively as the 4080 is. I didn't have enough time to really challenge/evaluate the rear MTB shock. It seemed to be okay with the heavier motor though. Kepler or Hyena, do you guys know if the Fighters are actually 4080s or 4065s? The other thing I have seen are some companies import the 40xx and call them something different based on another voltage parameter. HPC has a 4065 that will go 40-45MPH on 104 volts a true 4065 will hit 50 on 100 volts, as Hyena proved. So HPC 4065 is most likely a 6 turn stator motor.

Attachments

• TC40 Dimensions.pdf
    484.9 KB · Views: 126
  • TCXX regular spoke flange.jpg
    TCXX regular spoke flange.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,792
  • TC 5X & 5400 CE YEC_1.pdf
    330.9 KB · Views: 57
cut cat said:

I've tested them all, they're both the same motor, just different windings.
As you pretty much said if you're going to do alot of slow speed offroading and climbing the 65 is the way to go as it's more efficient down low. If you want a top speed over 60 then the 80 is the way to go. If you exercise some self constraint and aren't super concerned about efficiency (ie squeezing out maximum range) then the extra mid range acceleration that comes with a higher top speed is nice with the H4080 (assuming you have a high current limit)

cut cat said:
As Rix has said the the new crown (TC) motors DO have the modified cases for a normal style paired spoking arrangement.
I tested the 45mm stator MXUS about 18 months ago. It was quite a slow wind which only did around 45km/hr on 72v so would have been a great high voltage offroader. I assume from the above mention of it they're now making it in a faster winding. I found it to be a bit underwhelming in performance but perhaps because of it's low top speed it spinted straight to it then had no where else to go. Quality wise the didnt seem quite as good as the crystalyte so I figured the H40 was the better way to go (and at the time offered better winding options). Does anyone know more about these new models ? Do they have a stamped stator or a cast one ? If they have a cast stator they'd be worth seriously considering, otherwise they fall between a H40 and TC40 in terms of performance.

Rix said:
Kepler or Hyena, do you guys know if the Fighters are actually 4080s or 4065s
As I've mentioned before crystalyte have a bit of a whacky naming convention.
The 40 relates to the stator width (ie 40mm) and the second number relates to the speed in a 26" wheel and a given voltage.
When crystalyte first started making the H series they were available in H3525 and H3540. These did either 25 or 40km/hr in a 26" wheel on 36v (ie a standard mountain bike sort of package) Then stealth started using them in the older fighters and specced them to run on 48v. Crystalyte then changed the naming code to suit running on 48v, and the fighter motors because known as H3548 (which were probably just 36v HS3540s run on 48v) Then when they announced the H40 motors I asked them to be specced to run on 72v and they came out with the H4065 and H4080 - meaning a 40mm stator that does 65 or 80km/hr on 72v in a 26" wheel.
The crowns used to be just TC80 or TC65 as they only had a 40mm variant so they dropped that part of the name. But they now have thinner models of the crown as well, hence the name is now TC4080 etc or TC35 for the thinner ones.

Hyena said:
Does anyone know more about these new models ? Do they have a stamped stator or a cast one ? If they have a cast stator they'd be worth seriously considering, otherwise they fall between a H40 and TC40 in terms of performance.
According to Samd on the MXUS 3000 thread, it is "just stamped".

Pretty sure stock Fighters are 4065's. I have a 4080 with similar top speed to Rick's bike - around 43 mph. I agree that the 4065 is best for trails, especially climbs. I remember riding a local trail a while back where I hit a steep, rocky climb. No way the 4080 was going to make it so I pushed it up...the 4065 would have made it easily. I've tried the new Fighter and it's probably the best choice for most riding conditions, especially for twisty technical trails and big climbs.

The 2014 Fighter is listed as having a 3700 watt motor. My 2012 Fighter has a 3000 watt motor. The only difference in the specs that I can see, is that the range has increased from 60km to 80km. If the 4065 climbs better than the 4080, I should probably stay where I am with the 4065, since I live in a mountainous region. On the steep dirt road loop that I ride, the Fighter does a good job but looses power on two very steep climbs. If I gear the Schlumpf down and petal the bike will easily make those climbs though.

I think my first modification will be a higher powered controller. Thanks everyone! I am learning a few things.

SamM

Back