E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

proper159 said:
What do you guys think of the Shimano Saints Disc brakes for DH? My gator's are toast and when the rear axel sheared off, the top of the disc tore up the top of the gator brake (hence why I couldn't brake and my front brakes locked up resulting in my crash into luckily a pile of leaves in paper garbage bags!).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-saint-m820-disc-brake/rp-prod82461

What size brake system would I need?

Trying to understand how your front brake locked up, if I read this correctly, your rear axle broke, so you couldn't brake with the rear, causing your front brake to lock up which caused the crash? Almost sounds like panic braking came into play. Is that how your front locked up?

proper159 said:
What do you guys think of the Shimano Saints Disc brakes for DH? My gator's are toast and when the rear axel sheared off, the top of the disc tore up the top of the gator brake (hence why I couldn't brake and my front brakes locked up resulting in my crash into luckily a pile of leaves in paper garbage bags!).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-saint-m820-disc-brake/rp-prod82461

I don't think the rotors will fit, because of the center lock design.

Shimano is always an awesome bike brand but you need to buy rotors separately. Personally I'd go HOPE!
Just got my new 5404 from WHEELMAN Rix......Thanks!
Laced it up in 30 minutes or so (not bad for the first time). Gonna take it to my LBS soon to get it trued. Already have my Shinko 241 with another White Industries ENO 16T freewheel on the way and another Magura 203mm brake disc. Looking forward to trying it out.

Attachments

• 5404.jpg
    5404.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 644
Ok, I have a problem with my Fighter. When I plugged in the charger, after my last ride, the red light comes on and the fan runs. About 10 secs later the green light comes on and the fan goes out. Also, the Cycle Analyst does not come when the bike is switched into the On position. On my last ride, the bike suddenly stopped, like something switched off.

What did I break?

Today, I pulled the battery and the Cycle Analyst to do some clean up of the frame and to fix the broken side panels. The wiring looks ok. Nothing obvious, so far. Not sure what to do next. I'll probably have to wait for the weekend to get back into it.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm clueless here.

SamM

Rix said:
proper159 said:

Trying to understand how your front brake locked up, if I read this correctly, your rear axle broke, so you couldn't brake with the rear, causing your front brake to lock up which caused the crash? Almost sounds like panic braking came into play. Is that how your front locked up?
Yeah I think I double pumped the brake which made the entire bike stop too abruptly given the rear wheel issue and then I lost control because my rotor was grinding the top of the brake while I was going 50 km down a narrow hill with a car behind me. Released the front brake and put my left foot down and then swerved into a driveway of a mansion and crashed into a pile of bags filled with leaves.

Both torque screws bent.View attachment 1View attachment 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410921788737.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410921788737.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 857
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410921801201.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410921801201.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 857
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410921828040.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410921828040.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 857
morati said:
Shimano is always an awesome bike brand but you need to buy rotors separately. Personally I'd go HOPE!
Laced it up in 30 minutes or so (not bad for the first time). Gonna take it to my LBS soon to get it trued. Already have my Shinko 241 with another White Industries ENO 16T freewheel on the way and another Magura 203mm brake disc. Looking forward to trying it out.
Man I'm so jealous....the things I would do to get my hands on a Shinko SR241!

Allex said:
Those shimano are pretty good.
New Magura MT5 are interesting too.
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/team-tested-magura-mt5-four-piston-brake-review/

And here are some power charts
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345/
Allex which brakes should I go with? Shimano Saints or Maguras?

SamM said:
Ok, I have a problem with my Fighter. When I plugged in the charger, after my last ride, the red light comes on and the fan runs. About 10 secs later the green light comes on and the fan goes out. Also, the Cycle Analyst does not come when the bike is switched into the On position. On my last ride, the bike suddenly stopped, like something switched off.

What did I break?

Today, I pulled the battery and the Cycle Analyst to do some clean up of the frame and to fix the broken side panels. The wiring looks ok. Nothing obvious, so far. Not sure what to do next. I'll probably have to wait for the weekend to get back into it.

SamM

I think you have tripped your BMS if you plug the battery back in it should reset and work again!

Hugh

SamM said:

What did I break?

SamM

Did you run your battery completely flat ? Don't do that. I have had tat issue on my Bomber a couple of times. And it is most likely you have triggered your battery management system (BMS). Take of the side panel. And unplug the large fat plug from the battery an recharge as normal. And then reconnect the battery plug. If that doesn't solve the problem call Stealth.

proper159 said:
morati said:
Man I'm so jealous....the things I would do to get my hands on a Shinko SR241!

go for them , they are really fine under mostly all conditions , except real deep mud

Thanks!

I could have ran the battery flat. I was having too much fun and wasn't watching the CA readout. For most rides, I wear my motocross helmet and goggles. I can't see the readout very well with out my reading glasses. I probably used up the full charge as the bike just stopped. Tonight when I get home I will try charging and then reconnect the battery plug. The factory manual does not cover anything like this.

SamM

proper159 said:
Allex said:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/how-we-test-hydraulic-disc-brakes-24345/

Ive just fitted saints to my bike and no regrets. Go the 203mm rotor with the ice discs if you're doing a lot of down hill. No regrets single finger braking and the lever is adjustable on the handlebars. The other reason why I purchased shimano is that I can walk into most bikes shops and buy pads.

Rodney64 said:
proper159 said:
Allex said:

Ive just fitted saints to my bike and no regrets. Go the 203mm rotor with the ice discs if you're doing a lot of down hill. No regrets single finger braking and the lever is adjustable on the handlebars. The other reason why I purchased shimano is that I can walk into most bikes shops and buy pads.
Amazing thanks.

morati said:

That lace job looks great. If you haven't yet, you may have to true when mounted on the swing arm, you can even do that with the tire on. Were any of the spokes too long? That's always a concern I have when I get spokes for others. I use the Justin's Grin Cycles spoke calculator, which hasn't let me down yet. But some times, they come out just a bit long because I calculate ERD with 18mm long nipples instead of 14 or 16. If I recall your spokes should be right at the top of the nipples inside the rim with maybe one or too on the verge of protruding. Can't wait to see it mounted and running. What I noticed between the 5404 and 5403 was more snap on take off from dead stop to about 39-40MPH (57-60KPH) then the 5404 starts slowing to its 45MPH top speed where as the 5403 pulled past 50MPH, let us know if that's the same for you.

SamM said:

What did I break?

SamM

Lets rule out something first, pop your covers off, plug the charger in powered up and disconnect and reconnect the battery to the controller, this should reset the BMS, if that's the case, then it will start charging. Its possible that this isn't the issue as your charger runs for 10 seconds or so before tripping again. But start with this. Then the next to check is the battery wire charger connection with the XLR plug on the inside of the frame. With the covers off and charger plugged in, where the charge wire from the battery connects to the XLR plug on the bike, gently wiggle while pushing in towards the XLR plug just a little and see if the charger toggles on and off, or the better to check would a volt meter touching the red lead to #1 pin and Black lead to #2 pin and see if there is any reading. When I started having problems with my Bomber charging, I couldn't figure it out at first, tried BMS reset, new charger, nothing, then when I popped the covers off, I was moving the charge lead on the battery so I could disconnect it for battery removal and my charger turned on, then I moved the battery charge lead again and charger went off. By accident, I diagnosed my problem which was the XLR plug. Two XT150 6mm bullet plugs later, problem was solved. This method of checking is the homey the clown ghetto technique I used, there are smart guys here that know how to do this better, I just described the way I found and remedied my charging problem.

Nice lights super cheap.. Perfect for ebikes.

http://www.litesportshop.com/collections/cycling-headlights/products/bl200-cool-white-led-beam-mountain-bike-light

http://www.litesportshop.com/collections/cycling-headlights

Hi

Now that winter is approaching here in the Northern hemisphere. And for those that live in a colder climate like me, and would like to use their Stealth Bike, and don't like to frees their ass off doing it. This just might be for you. I bought a Bosch Heated Jacket a short vile ago. And this jacket is just brilliant. It is powered by a 10.8 V battery also known as a 12V Max in the US market. It is also water resistant and very wind resistant. And you can also charge any USB powered device with tis jacket. The jacket have 4 settings off, Hot, hotter and very hot. I can really recommend this Jacket to all Stealth owners out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDaTAdVN9I

Rix said:
morati said:

That lace job looks great. If you haven't yet, you may have to true when mounted on the swing arm, you can even do that with the tire on. Were any of the spokes too long? That's always a concern I have when I get spokes for others. I use the Justin's Grin Cycles spoke calculator, which hasn't let me down yet. But some times, they come out just a bit long because I calculate ERD with 18mm long nipples instead of 14 or 16. If I recall your spokes should be right at the top of the nipples inside the rim with maybe one or too on the verge of protruding. Can't wait to see it mounted and running. What I noticed between the 5404 and 5403 was more snap on take off from dead stop to about 39-40MPH (57-60KPH) then the 5404 starts slowing to its 45MPH top speed where as the 5403 pulled past 50MPH, let us know if that's the same for you.
Rix, LBS agreed to true my wheel for me (I used to race XC for their team). Only thing they wanted was a spoke wrench. I took an old Park Tools version and opened it up with a Dremel. No worries with longer than normal spokes as I can use that same Dremel to remove any excess. I'll let everyone know the results after my first ride.

Hi

Now that winter is approaching here in the Northern hemisphere. And for those that live in a colder climate like me, and would like to use their Stealth Bike, and don't like to frees their ass off doing it. This just might be for you. I bought a Bosch Heated Jacket a short vile ago. And this jacket is just brilliant. It is powered by a 10.8 V battery also known as a 12V Max in the US market. It is also water resistant and very wind resistant. And you can also charge any USB powered device with tis jacket. The jacket have 4 settings off, Hot, hotter and very hot. I can really recommend this Jacket to all Stealth owners out there.

Looks nice! How much?

SamM

SamM said:
Hi

Looks nice! How much?

SamM

Yes and feels Nice when it's Cold. Here in Norway About 1200 KR or 200 USD With out Charger and Battery.

Back