• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Emmett said:
1abv said:
Completely unrelated I've been thinking about making the bomber moire badd ass...as one does beyond the usual more power suspension etc.. I want a damn clutch! Don't care about gears just a clutch.. Who knows how long the motor would last but spinning the crap out of it and slipping the clutch a LA 125 2 stroke style would be epic! I leave it to all of you to figure it out! And go!
I thought about that a lot. Especially when I was new to the bike. But just forget that idea. Too much complexity and weight. The hub motor has some awesome advantages. Embrace it.

Learn to ride your Bomber like a small bore four stroke. Not a 125 2 stroke. Keep the throttle pinned more often and maintain momentum. Open throttle going into turns. While still using substantial front brake if you want more turn in. Do not shut off mid turn. To make it work it depends greatly on correct suspension and chassis setup, then looking well ahead and choosing the best lines. If the bike is unbalanced or unsettle through the turns this solution wont work.

If these bikes came with a working clutch I highly doubt you would take it off due to complexity and weight. It would be way too much damn fun! If one existed I would put it on in a second. Better analogy would be an automatic like a pw50.

1abv said:
Completely unrelated I've been thinking about making the bomber moire badd ass...as one does beyond the usual more power suspension etc.. I want a damn clutch! Don't care about gears just a clutch.. Who knows how long the motor would last but spinning the crap out of it and slipping the clutch a LA 125 2 stroke style would be epic! I leave it to all of you to figure it out! And go!

Not quite tracking with what you are saying. A clutch on an electric hub motor, not a mid drive? Just in case you think I am some kind of dumb$h!T that doesn't know motorcycles. Here is just a couple of the rides I had before I discovered the bomber and fighter. The Honda is still with me, the other pic is from 2011 dad and I riding KTMs.

Attachments

• KTM Ride.png
    KTM Ride.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,078
  • Sm436.png
    Sm436.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,078
  • CRF230.png
    CRF230.png
    110 KB · Views: 2,078
Rix said:
1abv said:

Not quite tracking with what you are saying. A clutch on an electric hub motor, not a mid drive? Just in case you think I am some kind of dumb$h!T that doesn't know motorcycles. Here is just a couple of the rides I had before I discovered the bomber and fighter. The Honda is still with me, the other pic is from 2011 dad and I riding KTMs.

This is more about having a clutch on my bomber than anything else. If there was a way to do it I would. I like the Idea of the throttle being used for making power and a clutch controlling that power going to the ground. In my mind that is the way to go. whether the tech exists or not wasn't really the point. I just dig revving the tits off a bike and controlling power with a clutch. :p

One thing you don't get on ebikes over motos is the slow speed stability that you get from the centrifugal action of the spinning engine at higher rpm while slipping the clutch, but ebikes make up for this in their lighter weight and otherwise all round awesomeness :)
Geared hub motors have a clutch in them that you could *technically* re-engineer to operate manually but as Rix said there's not really much point.
If you rode a bike with a bit more power and smooth torque based throttle and sine wave controller you'd never mention wanting a clutch again :)
I'd be surprised if stealth don't adopt and incorporate this tech in their future models now that it's becoming more widely available and user friendly.

Option #6 for abv1's new clamps, do a bit of frame panel beating to make room for them :lol:

If you want an electric bike with a clutch, this is the only one I've ever seen

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

1abv said:
Rix said:
1abv said:

This is more about having a clutch on my bomber than anything else. If there was a way to do it I would. I like the Idea of the throttle being used for making power and a clutch controlling that power going to the ground. In my mind that is the way to go. whether the tech exists or not wasn't really the point. I just dig revving the tits off a bike and controlling power with a clutch. :p

Okay, I see what you are saying, you miss slipping and dumping the clutch at redline and hammering the terrain :twisted: . I get that. As Jay pointed out, that isn't going to happen on a direct drive hub motor powered ebike. What would need to happen is someone would need to build a high powered mid drive, and run some kind of clutch right off the output shaft that could be manually disengaged. Brammo made a dirt bike with a 6 speed tranny and clutch, never came to production though.

1abv said:

You must be stalling your bike on hills? The answer isn't a clutch, it's just more hp. It's easy to forget we only have 6 hp peak.

Theodore Voltaire said:
1abv said:
You must be stalling your bike on hills? The answer isn't a clutch, it's just more hp. It's easy to forget we only have 6 hp peak.

Nope I'm not stalling on hills. T.V. You mostly ride street correct? Dirt is a little different. Having a clutch is just not for more revs on hillclimbs. Can't stress this enough: The throttle is for managing the power. The clutch is for controlling how much power goes to the rear wheel. Check out any vids of trials riders.. I was just flat tracking at a mini track today and if I had a clutch it would have been unreal! I'm not bitching about our bikes just sayin it would be cool if it existed. Man with one word "clutch" it really go the thread pumpin! I do like this fourm for the varied opinions and expirerence on it! Keep it commin!!!

On another note the new spring is in the mail and should be to me shortly!

You need to rev a regular combustion engine so it can deliver its full power. With electric, you have all the power from zero rpm.
Try an electric bike with a mid drive, and you will understand how it feels.
Look at Electric Trial on youtube.

1abv said:
Having a clutch is just not for more revs on hillclimbs. Can't stress this enough: The throttle is for managing the power. The clutch is for controlling how much power goes to the rear wheel. Check out any vids of trials riders.. I was just flat tracking at a mini track today and if I had a clutch it would have been unreal!

I know what you mean, I agree to some extent, and think it's an interesting discussion which you've raised. But I still suspect there's something you're missing about these hub motor e-bikes and how to exploit the most fun out of them.

For sure just avoid technical trials type riding on your Bomber or my Fighter. There is no point. No clutch - as you say! And having 8+ Kg in the rear wheel makes that type of riding pointless anyway. The hub motor has some awesome benefits. Just embrace it. Like having no moving parts in contact that wear out and constantly need replacement. They also look stealthy, and if I do the rigft things, most casual observers don't notice I'm on my Fighter.

I'll say the same thing again ... on your Stealth Bomber or my Fighter, if riding MX tracks, mini supercross tracks, or flat tracks, if the bike setup is right, then you don't need a clutch. You hold the power on more often and maintain speed and momentum. If you want to break traction on flat tracks or anywhere, then it's simple if you shift your body weight, but only if your bike setup is right.

If you have shitty forks or a jack-hammer for a rear shock, then I can understand why you'd wish for a clutch. Because at mid corner with crap handling and too much speed you or I will certainly commence a crash, and it could be a big one. If you get on the power early in a corner on your Bomber with wrong spring, then it wont put that power down, so you will delay throttle until the exit, and wish for a clutch. With crap handling, if you want to break traction on either end, then shifting your weight around or adjusting the brakes or throttle is going to cause other undesirable side-effects.

When I'm done on a ride on my Fighter, I often stare at it and think how little maintenance there is. Yes I've worn out my suspension, tires, brakes and grips, but that's it really. Charge it up and it's ready to go. It's nothing like that with my other bikes. As a bonus on my e-bike I can change my fork oil in under 30 minutes and shock in less than an hour.

If you are used to small bore or badly tuned 2 strokes with narrow power, then I can understand why you slip the clutch all day on those bikes. But as Allex wrote, these e-motors have extremely broad torque. Just use it more often.

I do understand what a clutch is for. I have friends with trials bikes and have had a few rides and loved it, while being on the clutch all the time for that technical stuff. Also I use my clutch constantly on my dirt bikes which I ride 100 to 150 hrs per year. In particular using lots of clutch on MX tracks to smooth out the power delivery. I have a YZ295 and a KX450F and a few mm of throttle turn can upset the bike a lot in a technical corner, so I do what all riders with powerful bikes do and I hold the throttle constant and meter the rear wheel power with the clutch. When I had slow bikes with narrow power bands or if I miss a gear shift then of course I'll use clutch to increase RPMs and power. I had some 125s which were crap and very slow and needed clutch all the time.

Edit: Do I wish for a clutch on my Fighter? Ans: Yes! But I don't ever expect to have one. Not without a huge penalty in cost, weight and complexity. It's not worth it to me. I have too many ride options where I don't wish for a clutch.

I'm thinking a properly calibrated throttle on an electric, will beat the feel of a clutch every time. The only reason that might not be true at this time is only because throttles for electrics haven't had over a hundred years to be perfected, but I don't think it's going to take very long to catch up. It's just a matter of software design, and the possibility's are practically unlimited.

In the future to guy who gets to the top of the hill first won't be the guy with the best clutch hand. It'll be the guy that can program his computerized throttle the best.

quoteWhen I'm done on a ride on my Fighter, I often stare at it and think how little maintenance there is. Yes I've worn out my suspension, tires, brakes and grips, but that's it really. Charge it up and it's ready to go. It's nothing like that with my other bikes. As a bonus on my e-bike I can change my fork oil in under 30 minutes and shock in less than an hour.

This is so true Emmett.

hope this is no re-post,
the russian army is now equiped with something like a bomber

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,857
My next bike will probably be this one:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57668&start=275#p968202
10704360_10152869926214617_8812877458552111110_o.jpg

dh-paule said:
hope this is no re-post,
the russian army is now equiped with something like a bomber

Yah Paule, it showed a while back, this was my response to it. :lol:

Attachments

• War Fighter.jpg
    War Fighter.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,825
Allex said:
My next bike will probably be this one:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57668&start=275#p968202
10704360_10152869926214617_8812877458552111110_o.jpg

Thats a sick mid drive. Could be a game changer among mid drives. I realy like the fact that its not using MTB chains and sprockets to deliver power from the motor to the wheel. Its using a seperate chain for that. NIce.

Yeah it's a cool concept. Pity it'll be
A: Years before we see the necessary infrastructure here in Australia and
B: You have to look like a dork cruising around on one of those scooters :lol:

Easily removable modular power cores like this may well be the future. Atleast it is according to every second hollywood scifi movie!
Certainly for light electric vehicles like these scooters, motos and small cars the likes of the Renault Twizy it'd be a very viable option to use something like this. As we know the price of batteries makes up a chunk of the cost of an EV so they'd be able to be manufactured a good deal cheaper less the battery, then you pay an ongoing subscription for the batteries like these guys are suggesting. It's already wired into peoples brains to have weekly fuel bills for petrol, it would be a very minor sideways step for this to be taken up. In fact it's a wonder the big oil companies aren't getting behind it to maintain a big stake in this market sector given the inevitable day when we turn out backs on fossil fuels is fast approaching.

Hyena said:
Yeah it's a cool concept. Pity it'll be
A: Years before we see the necessary infrastructure here in Australia and
B: You have to look like a dork cruising around on one of those scooters

Having belted around cities on the obligatory postie bike option in Uni days, I'd be delighted to try and give one of these an urban caning. Looking at the team behind it, I'd be careful to not underestimate what they're about to do. The exploded views of the drivetrain and complete bike are worth a closer look at http://www.gogoro.com/#/faster

Their biggest issue for AU will be ADR compliance and negotiating the mind numbing processes involved in their innovation antipatterns. They'll need some troll-spray.

Sorry folks. Completely offtopic aside from my musing on how to jam one of their batteries into a Fighter frame. As you were. Resuming lurk mode.

Nah who needs to swap batteries when I can charge up my bomber in 30minutes? Or top it off for a few minutes so I can get another 10miles to get home.

Allex said:
Nah who needs to swap batteries when I can charge up my bomber in 30minutes? Or top it off for a few minutes so I can get another 10miles to get home.

I'm with Allex. I totally wouldn't care to have to find a battery station, and probably wait in line. I'm much happier being totally independent of outside attachments. I think that concept makes sense for todays technology, but will be obsolete by the time it can be implemented. The cost of battery's will come down, and capacity will increase, which will kill that concept.

I think the point of QR's link isn't applicable so much for our Fighters and Bombers, but as a means for EVs to travel great distances with these charge stations for battery exchanges. Whats the weak point for the average person going totally electric with vehicles? Its road trips or long work commutes. Once this issue is resolved, the days of gas/deisel vehicles will be numbered or limited to super extreme HP/KW to weight ratio vehicles and collectors. I am predicting that some of us, the 30 somethings and under on ES, and for sure our children will see the end of fossil fuel burning transportation in their life times.

Rix said:
I think the point of QR's link isn't applicable so much for our Fighters and Bombers, but as a means for EVs to travel great distances with these charge stations for battery exchanges. Whats the weak point for the average person going totally electric with vehicles? Its road trips or long work commutes. Once this issue is resolved, the days of gas/deisel vehicles will be numbered or limited to super extreme HP/KW to weight ratio vehicles and collectors. I am predicting that some of us, the 30 somethings and under on ES, and for sure our children will see the end of fossil fuel burning transportation in their life times.

I agree. I don't know how much longer it will take, but it will happen very quickly after some unseen battery storage advancement happens. I don't know how much longer that's going to be, but probably not 20 years. Even 10 years is probably too long. Once the breakthrough happens, ice will be over in 10 or 20 years. A hundred years later people will say it happened overnight.

Back