eCars - Compared! - 2017 update

Attachments

• FocusElectric_01_HR.jpg
    FocusElectric_01_HR.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,946
Nice, sounds promising. Finally we have multiple big-name vendors competing in the EV space again! :D I like the new, more powerful charger, and love the interface, but one thing does worry me...

In a related announcement Ford also announced today that Best Buy will sell the charging stations for the Focus Electric, and then install them using the Geek Squad—all for around $1,499.

...soo...basically it's going to cost twice as much as it should and be installed by people who don't know wtf they're doing half the time... :evil: I wonder if they'll sell them through any other vendors and if not how hard it will be to convince Best Buy to sell one without the installation...and how much that would knock off the cost (I'm guessing a few hundred). I mean, come on, how hard can it be to install? ...unless Ford was deliberately obtuse when they designed it and didn't just put a 220V plug on it... :roll:

anyone else notice the similarities between the Focus front end and an Aston Martin ?
DB9-11MY-040.jpg

Great resource page for comparison of all available EVs.
Multiple points of view helps give a more "complete picture".

http://www.allcarselectric.com/

masthead-bg.jpg

First the bad news - Many experts project gasoline prices to reach $4.50/gal by mid-Summer.
The good news - electric prices projected to remain stable. (USA)

First the bad news - Many experts project gasoline prices to reach $4.50/gal by mid-Summer.
Up from $3/gal in December, for a 50% increase in 7 months.

So ... Electric Vehicles, charged at "off peak" rates, previously rated at, 300 eMPG will be attaining 450 eMPG.
450 miles on electric, that costs the same as 1 gallon of gasoline!

equivalent, or, evaluative, or, electric - MPG = 450!

eMPG = electric to gas equivalent, fuel cost, based on 30mpg gas vehicle vs Electric Vehicle.

Good thread

DrkAngel said:
Not for us here In British Columbia Canada. B.C. Hydro anounced a couple weeks ago they are raising their rates 50% in the next 5 years.
I am not to afraid because I can make my own electricity but it stil will suck for almost everyone else.

Arlo1 said:
DrkAngel said:
Not for us here In British Columbia Canada. B.C. Hydro anounced a couple weeks ago they are raising their rates 50% in the next 5 years.
I am not to afraid because I can make my own electricity but it stil will suck for almost everyone else.

That's odd!

I point out that gas prices are projected to increase 50% in the 6 next months ...

And you whine about electric increasing 50% in the next 5 years ... ?

DrkAngel said:
Arlo1 said:
DrkAngel said:

That's odd!

I point out that gas prices are projected to increase 50% in the 6 next months ...

And you whine about electric increasing 50% in the next 5 years ... ?
You also pointed out electric prices to remane stable. Lol

DrkAngel said:

I feel sorry for myself and every other person from the UK. TODAY the prices i would have to pay at todays currency conversion rates are as below.

1 gallon of Gas - $9.32
1 kwh electricicty - $0.27

Im beginning to wish i lived in America. Luckily for me i dont drive a car... my olny mode of transport is an Ebike and the only fuel i use in my home is Electricity (and i have my own small solar installation which reduces that somewhat) so im relatively unscathed by this... 99% of the UK population dont get off as luckily as me.

fury, how much do you pay for natural gas? also i wanna add to your distress. i saved 10 gallons of gas from before christmas that i got for $2.84/g in some gas jugs, bot on credit card because it is cheaper to pay the credit cost than the increase in the price of gas. currently 3.15 here. (ouchee!)

do you guys have to heat water and cook or heat the house with electricity or gas? BOL, dm

dnmun said:
fury, how much do you pay for natural gas? also i wanna add to your distress. i saved 10 gallons of gas from before christmas that i got for $2.84/g in some gas jugs, bot on credit card because it is cheaper to pay the credit cost than the increase in the price of gas. currently 3.15 here. (ouchee!)

do you guys have to heat water and cook or heat the house with electricity or gas? BOL, dm

Hey Dnmun,

I don't use Naturan Gas in my current home but i just checked local tariffs for British Gas and the current rate is $0.13 per KWH of natural gas. I do everything wth Electricity in my home, heating and cooking are no exception.

I dont blame you for buying the gas in jugs if its cheaper, even at the prices your paying over the water for gas its still alot of money. Over in England i cant help but feel that if Electric cars were is the same price bracket as ICE cars, masses of people would switch over and SAVE alot of money. I really like the progress that has been made in the last 2-3 years with electric cars but it just get under my skin how they think that they can charge $38,000 for an electric version of a car that costs $15,000 for the ICE equivelant.

When a decently priced eCar (that has the build quality of a standard ICE car) comes along then ill buy one, until then ill stick with my ebike lol.

E-bikes will always be the answer. It saves so much energy which saves you money now and saves everyone money because the total grid demand is lower there for the price stays lower.

Arlo1 said:
E-bikes will always be the answer. It saves so much energy which saves you money now and saves everyone money because the total grid demand is lower there for the price stays lower.
Well ... my eBike, (brush, geared, non-hub motor), only gets about 4000 eMPG. But I plan on an AmpedBikes brushless, hub motor build, should be ready by Spring. I estimate 6000 eMPG, 9000 eMPG if gas price increases, as anticipated.

Hillhater said:
Electric retail prices in Australia are pretty much certain to double in the next year or two :cry:

And largely because no-one has been investing in the poles and wires for the last 25 years. Each day a new suburb is hooked up and the ageing infrastructure is struggling to take the extra load. They can try to blame rooftop solar as much as they like but it has little to do with it. All the more reason to go off-grid if you can help it! NiFe batteries for the win!

Peterp said:
Well at least there are a few electric vehicles on the road now, and from the sales of them looks like they will become a very popular choice for everyone. Hopefully they can ramp up the production of these pure electric vehicles as id love to stop riding my electric bicycle everywhere and find a more viable alternative. And as production continues, and popularity continues the price will become great.
I've been re-building, modifying, upgrading ebikes, for 3 years now.
Next step will probably be an electric motorcycle conversion.
ETEK made a nice motor, and I have sources for plenty of cheap Li-ion, maybe Lipo, too.
Will do an eCar conversion, just haven't found affordable components ... yet!
Looking for - permanent magnet motor (30-40hp) w/controller and - aerodynamic sub-compact w/manual steering and brakes.

DrkAngel said:
The major range limiting factor, with electric cars, is the cost of the batteries. You could double the range, for the weight of 2 passengers! (And $10,000).

Things will get better!
Reasonably informed sources predict a 10% price decrease, per year, for Lithium based batteries, combined with a 70% increase in capacity, over the next 10 years, based on currently available technology.

Mass production will drive the price down. (I predict!)
I'm sure it will. But range and battery capacity would be irrelevant if the EVs were supplied while in motion. There are some inductive power transfer systems that have the sender cables embedded in the pavement. Apparently, a frequency of 20 kcps is efficient.

`~- Nehmo

Back