Effects of C rate on Cycle Life for LiPo?

emotofreak

100 mW
Just curious if anyone has any good data on how running LiPo's at less than their rated C, and possibly capping the charge and discharge voltage limits somewhat, can effect their cycle life?

A LiPo vendor has quoted me approx 300 cycles to 80% capacity at a 100% 30c discharge. I am only going to see 10c peak and 4c sustained in my application. I can also trim the upper and lower cutoff voltages a bit, maybe 4.15 and 3.00 volts respectively.

Any guesses what I might expect the cycle life to be?

Thanks!

Yes

Reducing the C rate will really help with the cycle life of lipo also reducing the max charge shut-off to 4.1V will also help (you will loose a little capacity) but dont also reduce the lower cut off as well :p you need to go up, 3.2V is considered the cut off point for Lipo some folks allow even more and never take them below 3.4V, I never normally let mine drop below 3.5V and they are still as good as the day I got them.

This practice of reducing the charge limit and minimising the depth of discharge is a practice that motor manufacturers use to maximize the lifespan of their packs, what's good for cars is good for bikes :D good luck and happy biking

Back