El Niño in the newz. Again.

Dry high pressure air dominating the west coast

We’ll see what the future holds

Last edited:
Increased precipitation forecast for the next week. There are some large areas in the 5-7" range. There will likely be some flooding. Also high winds associated with the front, so a real storm. Satellite shows a nice feed coming straight from Hawaii.
Pineapple Express time.

Meanwhile, the local water district officials just reported that all reservoirs in the district (Marin County) are currently at 100%, so we should be good for a couple of years. But they raised the water rates quite a bit during the drought and they have not come back down (and I suspect they never will).

1706635483973.png

Here’s what all the bandying about of terms like Atmospheric River on the news leads to:
Now it’s “ARkstorm”. The public needs to educate themselves and recognize media sensationalism for what it is. Some don’t have sense enough to get out of the rain.
As that great meteorologist B. Dylan said:

“You don't need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows”

NWS says we're due for up to an inch on Thursday. Didn't get anywhere near as much as predicted the last several times, so we'll see.

Detailed Forecast​

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 51. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. South wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Wednesday Night
Rain, mainly after 4am. Low around 46. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Thursday
Rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 10am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 56. East wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Thursday Night
Rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 10pm, then rain likely. Low around 43. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Friday
A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Friday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 54.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Sunday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 57.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Monday
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57.
Monday Night
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Tuesday
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56.

Up to 3.0" over the last 12 hours. Still raining.
All this will be moving southward and hitting southern California next.

4.2" since yesterday and there are still spots of rain around. Looks like the LA area is getting it now.
I guess I won't need to water the yard for a while.

We got 20% of our yearly total in 12 hours last night. 🧐. And yes no watering for a while. However there are barrels of leaves to rake up. The leaves from last year and this year will be going into the 5 compost bins I just got so the upside is that I will have somewhere between 80 and 90 cubic feet of organic compost before the end of the year.

:D
⚡

Just started here, nothing measurable overnight.

El Nino Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
********************************************************************************************:)

Last edited:
Showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening, then a chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Breezy and cooler. Lows 46 to 52. Southwest wind 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the evening. Chance of rain near 100 percent. Rainfall up to an inch possible, except locally higher in thunderstorms.
1706839235078.png KIWA_loop[1].gif

Another 0.25" overnight and finally getting a little break. Still some spots of showers floating around.

Neighbor's gauge says only a bit more than half an inch, but a big trashcan I had left (empty) in the yard has about three inches of water in it. Nothing near it that could have run off into it, so...?

The next storm forming to the north. Doesn’t look like much now but it’s expected to build into quite the gully washer.

Nice and sunny today. Calm before the storm I'd say.

🧐
⚡

Back