eLation v3: Give this product? a big miss; even second hand

Wombat

1 mW
Give this product? a big miss; even second hand.

Unless it only costs about $20, and with a free lunch at a local pub thrown in, give this product a big miss if offered to you albeit now second hand. You won't know what's in the motor, you won't be able to repair it.

I first met A Dow at AusBike (Melbourne Australia) 2010 where he was showing off his then new v3 elation kit. It surprised me as I had been following the eLation stuff for some time while waiting to put together money for adding motor assist to my bike (genuine permanent disability, pensioned, and in my early sixties stops me from driving ever again).

The guy did not impress much but the product appeared sound IF SUPPORTED BY intelligent design "choices" (nothing but perhaps the support bracket is Aus made). Unethical actions, paranoia, and almost complete lack of responsibility and empathy towards individuals buying his product (the business's only product: that alone should have warned me off at the start) only really came to light long after the money had been paid. I should have retained my concern for the tentioner idler wheel not included on the model "3" too.

After a plea via email just before Christmas to help "an aussie battler" and receive a few tools for free for paying in full early, I still had to wait a couple of months for delivery... and when asked at eventual delivery time what was the courier tracking ID he "didn't have time to bother with that". By then I began wondering if I should continue to show reasonable respect for so little in return.

1. rear carrier-to-axle mounts missing... fair-enough, replacements were sent with an apology about the poor delivery of OS components he was experiencing (and I didn't use them in the end as I created my own much sturdier AND disk brake friendly mount method).

2. obviously not packed out of harms way the aluminum controller box was severely damaged by edged / pointed object in the packaging to a depth less than a millimetre shy of the circuit board and solder tabs (after so long to arrive I couldn't wait for a replacement - which was offered - and dismantled and repaired the box myself).

Eventually assembled and hung off ground off of a clothes line I fired up the installation and gently tested the twist control... no problems apparent and let motor run for some time to bed it all in. Great lets try it... DOH!

Lowered from its four point hanger I DID NOT get on the bike and simply turned power handle slightly expecting to have the bike ease forward under its own weight....

CLUNK CLUNK and SILENCE and NO GO; not even an inch. Oh CRAP.

FIRST RETURN to eLation; cost about $23 insured registered mail.

Received motor back bit over a week later. Great all happening again, lets test it on ground. Beaudy, it slowly crawled forward; all's well... yeaaah heard that before!!

So took it out for a ride, using throttle carefully as the originally supplied letter told us to do just like a new car... at least 200 kms. yaeh yeah alright it's crap product and you don't want us to know for a while.

Traveled almost a whole 200-300 metres and BANG... the motor chain drive sprocket fell on the road; snapped shaft.

SECOND RETURN to eLation; cost about another $23 insured registered mail.

Got motor back a week or so later again with no explanation and this time traveled almost 4 kilometres before... OH CRAP something seems to be causing some sort of rough resistance when I pedaled WITHOUT POWER. Had experienced a couple of wierd quick little bangs or thumps which seemed just like the chain was jumping (which it wasn't but that's just what it felt like). Sent A. Dow some video showing dead motor.

THIRD RETURN to eLation; cost about another $23 insured registered mail.

Never once did I get openly agro or snappy; just let the "little aussie battler" sort it.

Well next time with the trip computer I was using each time now totaling almost a wopping great 18Km since the first day MUCH THE SAME AS the previous time occurred again.

This time when I sent A Dow a video of the FOURTH failure all I could comment on it was "bloody useless". And this time the motor even stopped the bike from rolling backwards.

An even half decent business person would have replaced the whole motor after just the second failure but oh no not our Allan.

I had my own two serious health incidents to sort out and I didn't get around to being distracted by and bothering with this crap product for a few months. So low and behold what do I discover when I do, the "little s..t", sorry aussie battler had closed shop, de-registered his business, and gone unobtainable in to hiding. Obviously he just couldn't handle or cover up the poor manufacturers deliveries and bad quality any more.

If health issues did have something to do with the eLation demise (re eLation website now) that's no reason at all to not give his clients a way out when problems occur.

His paranoia over having his (heh) "ideas" copied to avoid any one manufacturer knowing what the others were making (basically his words at Ausbike 2010) was one of (of many) the rotten fundamental business decisions he has made. Along with all the bad publicity he gave himself on quite a number of forums he has left us all in the lurch with out any recourse to circuit diagrams and motor / gear box manufacturers identities etc. Why Allan? Pointless. For years heaps of businesses and privateers have been toying with the same principles. You only had something that gullible Australians thought was unique after watching a so-so TV program and your rhetoric.

The only thinga "unique" is the aesthetics of the mod "3" motor mount and perhaps the retaining of all three drive gears (if on bike beforehand). But as one bike shop pointed out if you ride a motorised bike you almost for sure won't need the third and biggest gear (which it so happens is all but useless / too much for our Aus 200 watt motors).

There was other forewarning A Dow was in trouble. He hadn't even booked at all for Melbourne AusBike 2011. A business in trouble is a business probably taking shortcuts!

DID ANYONE KNOW his so called model "3" became what should of at least been model "3Plus" or "4".

From the first couple of batches of this crappy quality model "3" in well under a year he has changed the motor and gearbox TOTALLY. I discovered this on these forums where some photos show the latest versions. AND IN THIS SECRECY HE REGRESSED JUST BEFORE MID YEAR TO NYLON GEARS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THOSE OF ANOTHER MANUFACTURER LONG WELL KNOWN FOR GEAR MUNCHING. WHAT THE...

In the gear box of these original model "3"s I discovered catastrophic failure of the free wheeling gear clutch and the point of what appears to be the latest? primary failure is a design fault that even a 12 year old should pick up. So if you have one of these models and have been successful so far good luck and don't put on any weight. It just needs clutch pins to swivel with force at just the right place and bang; fragmented outer clutch ring and damaging bits of steel all over.

The Pedal Drive Gears are made of rubbish metal and I'm not the first to comment on that. Leaving them on the bike 'till now even while without the motor I've had to straighten teeth a number of times. Also another reported weakness is the free-wheel gear added to the pedal gears but I did not have that problem.

TO TOP IT ALL OFF
The original model "3" gears had THREE gears driving off the motor spindle, two identical and opposed sharing the power load to the main out put shaft, BUT I DISCOVERED NOW OPENING IT ALL UP ONE OF THOSE TWO IS COMPLETELY MISSING bearings and all!!!... so, used as a replacement on some one elses buggered motor or because it was damaged and he couldn't afford to replace it or perhaps and so BADLY STUPID to try to make the gear box quieter, whatever that's the work of a scammer.

Note it's not guesswork. The missing gear is evidenced by bearing wear in the well the shaft fits in, top and bottom, PLUS a visual comparison of a simple diagram of the gear box in a .PDF file created and supplied by eLation.

Over the last few years or so I have only been able to manage 30-40 nights of casual work per year. I cannot work any more. The last shifts I did were for events during the second half of 2010. That's where I got the money to pay for an Alan Dows eLation ebike kit. But all I've got for it is a $1250+ bunch of useless bits and pieces and without any support for tracking down the REAL manufacturers. What a smuck, what a poorly designed product. Don't get caught out with a possible soon-to-be dud purchase.

I hope A Dow never attempts business ever again especially for anything in manufacturing; he just doesn't have a clue and the eLation v"3" is proof of that.

(moderator edit: Moved this separate review to it's own thread out of someone else's review thread (http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31674).)

Hi Wombat, Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with your V3 kit.
I had a problem with the used V2 kit I bought off eBay and Allan was very helpfull and did the repair for free when I went down to his workshop.

Yes well with the older v"2" it was a better more honest product (still with a few faults but no "shortcuts").

Note I did buy the v3 kit new plus I'm in Melbourne. I am just warning others contemplating buying a second hand v3 eLation kit ESPECIALLY now the business is defunct. I realize some may think that works against it for both me and others like me wanting to offload faulty v3 bikes / kits but A Dow's practices over last year at least are inexcusable.

48 VOLTS... eh! 48 volts (and extra weight) is not warranted for low watt motors.

Just another important point / warning to make about these v3 kits.

I have discovered it is almost impossible to find any "200 WATT 48 VOLT" motors one could use as a replacement (reliably at or under 200 / 250 watt). Why eLation used just the one high volt system for all v3 models I can only surmise with hindsight it had all to do with A Dows inability to pay for and bring in various stock for the lower wattage systems (usually gotta buy lots of 10 or more minimum from Chinese manufacturers). When I ordered mine A Dow said the 250 watt motors wouldn't be available for quite a while... DESPITE continuing to advertise them.

So the more I look the more it seems I and others, now or future, with similar probs are stuck with irreplaceable junk... oh why didn't I just commit to the old 24volt v2 before this v3 rubbish came out?

These days there is even a similar mid drive kit available through a mob in Murrumbeena, Melbourne, and for nearly half the price too but it is of course lower voltage also so I would still have to dump the 48 volt system completely.

I'll avoid using the motor and battery for door stops for a while in the hope I might find a local engineer who can do reasonably low priced single job lot recreation of the gears. But even there the geared clutch out put shaft will be a problem.

Have you seen this thread Wombat?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32408

Dunno if it is of any help i know nothing about these kits but
i did see the gears mentioned as being an issue for you, the link
i posted also has elation gear issues mentioned whether the v2 and v3 gears are interchangeable
i don't know, thought it might be of interest anywayz...

Welcome to the forum albeit in not so happy times for you...Have you considered
a cyclone kit perhaps as a replacement? Paco from Cyclone Taiwan supplies 200watt stickers on the motors
prior to sending if required...

KiM

Years ago I became interested in the eLation kit after stumbling upon it on the internet. I entered into a email conversation with Mr Dow trying to establish just how effective a 200 watt motor would be at climbing hills. The conversation dragged on for a long time, getting more and more rediculous as said Mr Dow did everything he could to avoid answering the question. His replies would make a good script for a comedy show. He eventually told me to f**k off - something I was very happy to do. Conversation with this man was one of the lowest points of my life.
I am glad I did not donate even a single cent to this obnoxious person, and frankly am over the moon to learn he has gone out of business. If ever anyone deserved to go out of business its him. I feel sorry for his ex-customers, but certainly not for him.
Ive no real idea what the product was like. You would gain little idea from the awful web site, which spent most of its time attacking the opposition, and which treated the eLation product like some kind of state secret. I can understand him not wanting to hand his ideas over to his competitors - Pablo of Cyclone bikes in Taiwan has a similar attitude too - but keeping the product secret from the potential customers is just absurd - especially when you consider how easy it is for a competitor to simply order the damn product and examine it in the flesh. Even Cyclone at least show pictures of the product - lousy pictures most of the time, but pictures none the less. And lets face it - an electric motor driving the chainwheel via a chain is hardly rocket science.
What is it about Australians and doing business? They just don't have a clue, do they?

Wombat said:
These days there is even a similar mid drive kit available through a mob in Murrumbeena, Melbourne, and for nearly half the price too but it is of course lower voltage also so I would still have to dump the 48 volt system completely.

Hi Wombat, sorry to hear about your woes. It's a pity about the elation V3 because it did seem to have potential. Who is the mob you mention in Murrumbeena with a similar kit? I was surprised when I got three hits on google for electric bike shops in that suburb!

Hangdog98 said:
stolennomenclature said:
What is it about Australians and doing business? They just don't have a clue, do they?
Well that's a big call. What other nations should we avoid based on your experience? :roll:

Nearly all companies these days treat customers as wallet fodder, regardless of nationality. I would say Australia is the worst in many respects. Australian companies are the most amateurish, probably US companies are the most professional. But there is hardly a single company on the planet that I know of that would win any accolades from me. Their focus is almost entirely on making money, and customer service has declined to a point where it is now virtually non-existent.

Mr Dow's attitude seemed to be that his products were so obviously wonderful, there was no need for the customer to know anything but the barest minimum about them. When I pressed him about his unwillingness to provide any details about his product, his response wss that no one else seemed to need any, so why should I. I have had more or less the same response from Pablo of Cyclone, who stated that he had sold thousands of kits to customers who did not need to know any additional information about his products.

TO give you an example of what happened between myself and Mr Dow, the first question I asked him him was if he could sell the eLation kit without the battery. His response was "Sorry we sell total package to ensure total control of quality. However will make you a deal. You get BMW to accept to install Daewoo motors in their cars and I will do same". The reply seems slightly hostile given this was the first time he had ever spoken with me, and given that the request to get the kit without the battery seems quite reasonable. Interestingly I note that later on he started selling the kits without a battery, which implies that either he ended up agreeing with me, or that BMW must have started supplying their cars with Daewoo motors.

How about Belgians, are they OK? Oh and what about those pesky Canadians, not the real ones, the French speaking ones, they're terrible too right? :roll:

Just a sorta footnote thingy...

Years later I know (well, 2 1/2 years since first receiving A Dows rubbish) but I have finally reverted to going for a hub drive.

There are some generic crank drives around now and boostebike.com.au also sell a decent and attractive kit, but they all lack front Derailleur changes so a decent less troublesome gear-less hub seems OK to me.

"Golden Motor" "Smart-Pie" like their big brother MagicPie 3 accept 24, 36, and 48 volt batteries (LifePo4 preferred of course and that's what my doorstop!!! is). That is, batteries are readily interchangeable for the one motor.

Controller is internal and includes PAS and cruise control and regen braking. Have read the free-wheel gear-less retardation is minimal and special internal fan design keeps motor cooler than most.

Most of all the controller is PC USB programmable for a range of options so even a larger voltage battery's power can be throttled to make bike legal (Windows software). Ideally of course buy a 24volt for latest default Aus limits.

Heh. Just think, kit will still be ok in fifty years when some politician has the guts to tell the pub servants to up the anti to at least 350 watt limits!!!!

Hope I'm not speaking too soon (touch wood) but I've been watching stuff for quite a while. Seems Golden Motor kits are gaining popularity. Will order without battery tomorrow probably from local Melbourne dealer (cheaper than importing from China myself).

This is of course mostly just my opinion. Hopefully I can return in the future and report on the GM SmartPie kit.

Regards.

Ive never tried the GM products, but the only ebike guy in town here that knows anything (there is another shop that does bionx and full bikes, but knows nothing about his products) swears by them (specifically: Golden Motor Canada).

I do know that the motors themselves can take a real beating and never really seem to fail or die. I am unfamiliar with the controller though and other parts.

r3volved said:
Ive never tried the GM products, but the only ebike guy in town here that knows anything (there is another shop that does bionx and full bikes, but knows nothing about his products) swears by them (specifically: Golden Motor Canada).

I do know that the motors themselves can take a real beating and never really seem to fail or die. I am unfamiliar with the controller though and other parts.

Friend of mine here on Maui has a fleet of rental ebikes all running MP2 and MP3 DD's. He swears by them because even the tourists cannot kill them; easy to service if needed; and a built-in controller that can be re-wired, replaced, or bypassed relatively with ease. Enough power for Maui's hills and wind, though the tourists mostly stick to the flatter coastal resort areas where he rents them at.

Back