Electrification of an ICE vehicle

andrew

1 mW
A way to get around the battery range limitation of a battery electric vehicle, would be to electrify an ICE vehicle, and leave the stock engine/transmission in place. If the electric drive system can be integrated without modifying the existing ICE drive, than a few batteries, motor, and controller can be added, and the vehicle would have capability to drive from battery power. There would be no range limitation, because after the batteries are discharged, than the ICE can be used.

This may be most practical for light vehicles, like scooters, motorcycles, and small cars. It would be perfect for a short routine daily commute. I think it may become more popular than doing full conversions.

Considering the availability of good quality high-energy batteries, this would be doable with a small battery pack. I noticed some new LiFePo4 batteries available from Cloud electric. There are also some SAFT NiMH/NiCad available from Septechnologies.

I may consider doing this to a scooter or motorcycle. I may be able to integrate the drive systems with a swing arm mounted motor. The batteries could be mounted to the frame underneath the engine, or possibly in saddle bags. They could be light enough to be removable. The controller could be mounted to the other side of the swing arm. I could use the left grip, or a thumb throttle to control the electric power.

Back