Enertionboards.com | Eboard Hand Controller Design Challange

Hi,
I'm assuming the off the shelf Wii remote parts are FCC compliant so it should be an issue for any system designed around them.

Cheers,

Peter

what about using JUST accelerometers, no trigger at all.

5FjO

I would never risk my smartphone for that use ... but it exists (it was mentionned along this topic : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62139)

Actually I was thinking a dedicated device with built in accelerometers

Interesting idea, nice train of thought. My initial reaction would be 'uuuuurgh' - not too hard to program from a 'noise' point of view, but individual riding style might be a problem....and everyone wants to look cool riding their board, so waving your arms around might not help that 8) :lol:

Hmm, also your arms are used for balance in some circumstances. I wouldn't want to hit a pothole, or drop off a kerb, stretch an arm to counter balance, and shoot off 100% acceleration. Maybe that could be tweaked out in a noise filter, or lateral versus non-lateral movement somehow.

I think weight sensing makes more sense, have you thought about that? Seeing as you have the kit already, some of those stress sensors might work into your existing product quite easily?

So the 'trigger-less' design would need a kill switch button. Once pressed the angle sensor is switched off, therefore zero throttle signal from the angle sensor.

So if you are approaching dubious terrain/obstacles you can begin to back off the accelerator by pointing the device upwards...but if you need to kill the power instantly press the button.

The brake function could also be a button that is pressed at any angle initiating the start of brake funtion from 0% & gradually increase brake as you further raise the device, pointing upwards to 100% brake.

Just like when you grab the hand brake in your car. There is a button which you press, then you pull up to initiate the brake. The further you pull the more brake.

onloop said:

5FjO

Too many combinations of movements while riding for this to work unless the only thing you move when you ride is your elbow...Then it would work awesome! -Also, the guy in the middle is going to scrape his balls on the grip tape.

the problem with accelerometers only is that sometimes you might need to move your hands to balance yourself... I hate to see what it might do to the board...

The accelerometer would be programmed to work on only one 'plane' so you can move your arm anywhere. Up down. Forward backwards. But if it points forward you go forward....also if you want to keep your elbow at a particular angle for balance etc you can also use your wrist to manipulate the device.

onloop said:
The accelerometer would be programmed to work on only one 'plane' so you can move your arm anywhere. Up down. Forward backwards. But if it points forward you go forward....also if you want to keep your elbow at a particular angle for balance etc you can also use your wrist to manipulate the device.

By assigning an action to a specific movement or position it limits freedom of movement. The same thing happens when you put foot pedals at either end of your board.

I'm going to make something like this for my hand controller. It's basically a squeeze grip throttle and when you release the grip, full brake is applied (dead man switch). The LCD would display the voltage/amps/distance/ avg speed/ mpg stuff. I wouldn't put much brains into the controller it self but instead into the receiver which would monitor all this info and relay it to the controller. The controller would log all the data and when hooked up to a PC via USB it would dump the data into a text file through a simple HID keyboard interface or HID USB Storage to eliminate host software. The buttons would be arm/disarm/and menu buttons. I would also allow upgrades to the RX like GPS module to display heading and current speed and Bluetooth for a phone interface. Another accessory would be a helmet with a HUD that could also receive this information and display it, or when Google Glasses become available build an app to transmit to the glass

P13330046354556248m.jpg

Drevious said:
I'm going to make something like this for my hand controller. It's basically a squeeze grip throttle and when you release the grip, full brake is applied (dead man switch). The LCD would display the voltage/amps/distance/ avg speed/ mpg stuff. I wouldn't put much brains into the controller it self but instead into the receiver which would monitor all this info and relay it to the controller. The controller would log all the data and when hooked up to a PC via USB it would dump the data into a text file through a simple HID keyboard interface or HID USB Storage to eliminate host software. The buttons would be arm/disarm/and menu buttons. I would also allow upgrades to the RX like GPS module to display heading and current speed and Bluetooth for a phone interface. Another accessory would be a helmet with a HUD that could also receive this information and display it, or when Google Glasses become available build an app to transmit to the glass

Looks like a good idea, but what about being able to coast? You cant really be throttled up going downhill right? Is there a large dead spot in the beginning of the throttle?

You could use the one way bearings that others have used and you could implement a disc brake, which I've also seen on these forums. Then could put a thumb button on the controller which would switch it into braking mode that would be controlled by the same throttle mech (squeeze for brake). The button would have to be a momentary switch in order to maintain the dead man switch.

Other idea would be "Coast Mode" where the controller has a double squeeze mechanism like a pipette, where when you squeeze past a certain point it switches to coast mode. There would have to be some kind of encoder on the wheel so you could match the speed on the motor to the speed of the wheel to prevent acceleration.

Pediglide said:
US Federal Communications Commission. http://www.fcc.gov

I think you would have to get certification from them to make sure your signal does not interfere with other communications device, if you are going to build one from scratch that is.
From what I recall of my old ham radio days:

There are some portions of the RF spectrum that are reserved, and can't be used at any power level.

Other portions may be used by anyone for broadcast of various RF signals types, as long as they are under a certain power level.

Some types/designs of transmitters aren't very good at staying within a specific band of the spectrum (causing harmonics outside their intended spectrum), and not only could violate the FCC rules, but also waste power since the receiver usually is tuned to pickup only that spectrum (to ensure no interference from other similar signals on other frequencies--RC planes/helis/cars are a good example of that).

You can just go to their site at fcc.gov and find out what frequencies are available for you to use and at what power level, without a license.

I don't know if an unlicensed RF-broadcasting product being sold is going to require actual certification before you can sell it or not, but that info ought to be on their site, too.

onloop said:
I believe I saw somewhere some code for the wii Nunchuck that uses accelerometers for throttle in rc.
you can try and code this option in austindavid's source code and try it. the Nunchuck has all the buttons you would need. c to activate the accelerometer control, releasing the c acts as a dead man switch. z can activate the trigger control. no button gives you break function.
I think that only after trying this control method you will be able to know if this is the way to go.
I don't mind testing it if you want.
yossi

If it can be tested using wii that would be awesome....
Most people I mention my concept to think it's stupid... but I just can't get it out of my head....i belive it can work... it might be amazing....or it might duck. . it might suck.....

I was doing an experiment last night... i was pretending my phone was the controller... i was holding it in my hand and pointing it forward (100% accelerator) then I was standing on my board... jumping. Twisting. Bending.... everyone should try it.... it was actually very easy to hold the romote forward... also applying the brake like pulling a hand brake... or if easier bending the wrist....it seemed natural.

:idea: what about fixing it to the shinbone/tibia (lean forward - accelerate / lean back - brake) - kind of fake "weight sensing control" :wink: but would be quite natural and hand free then, especially if you consider we keep leaning forward against drag while riding

HBYrtBo.jpg

Combination of a safety glove and a controller.
A bit of a challenge for the scripters to make it work with a arduino.
With the multifunctional keys you can set cruise speed, lights on off, horn, special light effects etc...
Kevlar with abs plastic, waterproof, wireless through blue tooth, one cel LiPo with usb charging.

onloop said:

5FjO

I tried this on my very first build you just use the RC controller app and an Iphone but it was very dangerous.... :shock:

i cannot remember exactly it was nearly 2 years ago now,..i think it was one the rc car apps.. I used it on my dual 63mm and when you moved your arm to balance it throttled up..very dangerous....

I don't have an electronic setup yet, but I'd imagine there would only need to be two buttons to cover four controls. I can't think of any more controls that would be needed.

Hold(+), Release(-)
-------------------
A- | B- = coast
A+ | B+ = accelerate
A+ | B- = maintain speed
A- | B+ = brake

Seems like a trigger/thumb button combo would be easiest...any hand control will limit your ability to put your hands down in a slide though.

Back