EV 0-100km/h in under 1.0 sec ..

That's totally nuts, little land rocket!

Im fairly sure that the “car” was geared and set up (battery size etc) just to run for that 100km/h speed and only a few seconds ( heat build up ?)..so unlikely it would make it very inpressive over a 1/4 mile run.
However, there are others that can , and are not far behind on the 0-100kmh

Why do they attach a human to it?

It compromises the speed objective, and the publicity one is better served by a dog behind the wheel.
Because a human driver is what makes this a "car". There are plenty of rc drag cars that could smash these numbers.

Im fairly sure that the “car” was geared and set up (battery size etc) just to run for that 100km/h speed and only a few seconds ( heat build up ?)..so unlikely it would make it very inpressive over a 1/4 mile run.
However, there are others that can , and are not far behind on the 0-100kmh
.95 and 1.4 seconds aren't even in the same ballpark concerning 0-60 times. That McMurtry thing is obviously pretty impressive for a road car, but most cars going faster than that swiss car are getting their engines rebuilt every couple runs.

Last edited:
I want to build the electric velomobile equivalent of this.

If AMZ would sell us its 7 lb 50 horsepower hubmotors with matching control systems, it could be done if set up for AWD and had a pack of Lonestar Sleeper Cell batteries(100C continuous). Maybe a Quattrovelo modified accordingly would do the trick.

Im guessing there is some tricky balance between weight and power to manage for this…
…..with traction being another limiting factor.
Most certainly. Anything that does 0-60 mph in under 5 seconds and is usable on the street would be a major "win" in my book.

The traction provided by the tires will be the limiting factor. AWD plus slip detection, would allow the maximum acceleration possible for the set of tires chosen. There would be almost no wind resistance to reduce acceleration as speed climbs. With solar car tires, a sub-150 lb vehicle able to run 11 second 1/4 miles and which is mechanically robust enough to handle the top speed reached within that distance is probably doable without too much hassle using off the shelf parts. Which would be crazy enough in and of itself, considering the size of the proposed vehicle and considering that it would still be pedalable.

You also wouldn't need more than about 3 kWh to get range comparable to a modern electric car.

It won't be 0-60 mph in under 1 second fast unless there was a massive leap forward in tire technology or the vehicle was modified to take race car tires(which would make it unpedalable due to rolling resistance). And then you're going to have to consider further modifications to the chassis to be able to make use of all of the torque necessary to achieve this. Not impossible, but not easy either. Theoretically doable.

Anyone know how to calc the g-force of that acceleration?
0->100 km/h
0.956 Seconds
Using an online calc I get 2.96g
So only 3x the force that I experience just standing up out of my chair? That can't be right. Can it?

Depends on how fast you stand up.

More like if you weigh 175lbs now, upon acceleration you would weigh ~518lbs
Point taken, but it still seems like 0-62mph (I'm on this side of the pond) in less than a second would be a lot rougher. Maybe I'm just letting my experience with the force of a crash (60mph to 0 in a tenth of that time) influence my intuition too much.

More like if you weigh 175lbs now, upon acceleration you would weigh ~518lbs
Only in one direction. You still have force gravity pulling downward at a 90 degree angle. It would actually be like weighing ~547 lbs, but applied at an angle.

Back