Evolution of Skill....

Swing arm pivot tube is welded in. Reassembled pivot tube with bearings, axle and mock up.

Dscn2065.jpg

View attachment 2

this pic shows how tight everything gets when you have to screw with pedal -chains and pivots on rear suspension bicycles. just about 10-12mm from the chain ring to the drive-side pivot axle clamp..

Dscn2068.jpg

thar she sits...

Dscn2069.jpg

So now comes the joining of the two halves of the bike. The swing arm clamps get welded into the main frame. Then she needs the all of the seams finish welded. Mike, you're on soon baby..... :mrgreen: Once that phase is over, then shock mounts get fab'd and welded in, then seat post/seat post supports.

Len

Heading in to work shortly. Starting getting a sense for where the seat tube supports and shock mounting points are going to be:

Dscn2070.jpg

Lower shock mount will move closer to the back tire to increase the regression rate of the suspension....I hope...

later,

Len

different rake and trail than im used to :? .looking forward to a faux ride :D .

Looks superb, really starting to take shape bet your getting a lil more excited about it now too ;)
Rake looks about perfect for this style of bike, latest downhill bikes have very similar degree of rake
i believe, looks around 24-26 degrees?

KiM

AussieJester said:
Looks superb, really starting to take shape bet your getting a lil more excited about it now too ;)
Rake looks about perfect for this style of bike, latest downhill bikes have very similar degree of rake

KiM

thanks AJ - I'm sure you are well aware of how exciting things can get once a build gets to this stage, especially after fiddle f!@#$king around with everything since last November.... Very cool to see the vision in my head come out so close in real life.....

Those late night mock - ups are the little pick me ups that help me to stay the course.... I literally drag everything upstairs every night after completing a piece and prop it up in the living room, staring until the next time I work on it. My better half will be very happy once this thing gets out of the house... I will be happier!!!!

Regarding rake, right now the head tube angle is at 66 degrees - I can't imagine that I will slacken any more than 2 degrees once the rear suspension sag is set. Maybe not any at all. Regardless, you are correct, 24 degrees of rake...

Although I figure about a month before she's powered up and in ride tune stage, the plan is to do so with my 72/40 crystalyte digital controller @ 74 volts while she gets dialed. Then I am planning on running at least 88v of lipo with a 65 amp peak. Thinkin one of those Infineon 18 fet jobs from Lyen or Methods will do the trick...Should be fun!

Len

Lenk42602 said:
AussieJester said:

KiM

thanks AJ - I'm sure you are well aware of how exciting things can get once a build gets to this stage, especially after fiddle f!@#$king around with everything since last November.... Very cool to see the vision in my head come out so close in real life.....

Those late night mock - ups are the little pick me ups that help me to stay the course.... I literally drag everything upstairs every night after completing a piece and prop it up in the living room, staring until the next time I work on it.

Welcome to my world LOL...I know EXACTLY how you feel, i mock my bike up whenever i can during fabrication, not just to perve on it but also to get ideas
and workout the next move...it truly does get exciting though when your this far in, but as you have also said, will still be sometime away from completiion ;)

Wish you well in the following weeks of fabrication and assembly, will alll be very very worthwhile when it6s done, its a great looking frame :)

KiM

=

Looking very nice! I wish I would have gone that route with my build using the square tube, it makes the fitting SOO much easier and will make for a cool final look! Are you planning to use rivnuts to secure the body panels? Would really make it easy! I got some and I LOVE them for stuff like that... Also, is that one of those rear shocks from a mini dirt bike? I was wondering how they worked for something like this...

Whiplash said:
Looking very nice! I wish I would have gone that route with my build using the square tube, it makes the fitting SOO much easier and will make for a cool final look! Are you planning to use rivnuts to secure the body panels? Would really make it easy! I got some and I LOVE them for stuff like that... Also, is that one of those rear shocks from a mini dirt bike? I was wondering how they worked for something like this...

Thanks Whip,

Exactly why I used square tube...Easy to keep everything aligned...Haven't yet figured what I am using for the panels, but they will attach at the corner gussetts of the frame. Got a few more miles to go before I get to that stage...

fast ace pit bike shock:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120727736594&viewitem=#vi-content

Later,

Len

Yep, that's what I thought. How heavy is it? Never mind I just saw it! 2.5lbs is not bad at all, the bike ones are only like a pound more...

Decided to re-fab the swing arm axle clamps before welding to the main frame.

1st attempt on left, final design/version on right. Will have to weld the clamp into the tube and cap off the ends.
Dscn2074.jpg

I think the first attempt version of the clamps would potentially increased the likely hood of swing arm/mainframe misalignment..... Angles, tube mitres, and welding those tubes square to the clamp are all opportunities for a frame to go wonky...

I'll be posting more pics this week end.

Len

quick update - frame is back from the TIG welder.

Except for the welds near the pivot axle, she looks good. He didn't want to go over my hack work....structurally they're fine, just need to clean em up a bit. They'll disappear when she gets powdercoated..Next up I have to 1.) cut, fit, and tac weld the last few cross braces in the frame, 2.) cut,fit, and tac weld the gussets on the main frame, and 3.) cut, fit, and tac weld the seat tube/supoorts onto the frame. Then she goes back to my pal Mike for the final pass with the tig welder. Here's a shot with the cross braces near the head tube junction mocked in.

Dscn2081.jpg

Getting antsy. Just read LFP's overnight build prior to willow springs race day. Dude did more overnight than I have since last november. Gonna quit the machine shop on my regular days off so I can crank away at this thing. Time to get this damn bike rolling.

Also looking for some leads/input on either composite or carbon fiber panels (flat) for the main frame panel inserts.

Lunch break, head tube braces tac'd in. Also got the upper rear shock braces in. After lunch the seat tube supports get cut, fit and tac welded together. If that goes quickly, which I doubt, then I move on to the gussets for the frame. .

A few pics:

Once those 4 steel sleeve/spacers get completely welded in, I am going to grind them down flush with the cross braces. This gives me some adjustability with my upper bracket design depending on conditions. Just planning on using some .125" angle steel cut and drill to my needs....

Dscn2082.jpg

Cross braces at the head tube juncture. this frame is going to be quite stout.... :p
Dscn2083.jpg

later,

Len

johnrobholmes said:
Wow man, looks good! You are really close here. How are you going to finish the frame?

Considering how painfully slow this has been, I was thinking a fog machine, book Ted Nugent for my garage that day, etc.....

^LOLOL! I know how you feel!! :roll:

JRH,

The frame and swingarm will be powder coated. I have a guy that does a pretty good job on my MC stuff. Here's a frame and wheels he did for me in a satin/matte black finish:
khsebike_054.jpg

The main frame panels are going to be carbon fiber. If I can source some decent quality stuff, that is. If not, probably abs sheet or hdpe.

I'm sitting here "perving" on my bike in the living room (Aussiejester term). Here's another mocked up shot:

Dscn2087.jpg

I am now taking suggestions for frame/panel color combos.... :mrgreen:

Len

I really want to see what happens when you lock the hookers and the midgets up together in the garage...

Back