Fairly new LI battery problems

Grant

1 mW
Dear peeps..I am a newbie here and thank you for having me :p
I built a couple of Elec bikes 10 years ago now for myself and wife and use them constantly..I love them, they are both the same 500w motors in the front wheels running on 52V LI Batteries,

The first batteries we had were 10amp/Hr ones that had the little flat batteries like the mobile phone batts, my one soon chose to cut out so quickly, so I contacted a chap I know who sold me all the parts to do the build and he said it sounded like the BMS was playing up and cutting out too early and it would be safe to by-pass it because it had a LV cut-out in the controller, I think from memory they cut-out at 48v(I could be wrong, but that it what I have always had in my head), I I by-passed the BMS leaving it in situ but just connecting/Bridging the thick Neg wire that goes in and out of the BMS and leaving all the other wires in the BMS as is, it made my bike go so far before cutting out I was amazed at the distance I got.

I then done the same to my wifes battery at the time and we used them for the next 5 years or so and they were great, in the end my battery cut out and wouldn't charge after all that use and so I purchased another new one that was the same but 15amp/hour. I immediately done the same with the BMS bypassing the BMS in the same way, my wifes battery that I replaced a few months after I did the same to that too, so now we both had new batts with same BMS bypass and they have been great, I did notice that these new ones were 18650's as opposed to the last flat type batts, but now only a couple of years on one of the batts has lost its long range like the other one has still got, I did notice that when they were left for a couple of months between uses that one of the batts would always take a charge where as the other never seemed to need charging, it always seemed to have retained its charge after being left, now its the batt that used to not hold its charge so much that now has lost it's range, it still works well from off of the charger but after a few hills and use the bike will cut out when given full power, I can get it to cut back in again by un-plugging and plugging back in and the controller will re-set and I can use it again to get home, but if I give it full throttle/power on an incline it will cut out like LV cut-out again. Sorry for all the blurb but I wanted to set the picture of the situation, now my question/query is this..I have read some stuff on here and I know there are different ways of by-passing BMS's but that is where I have some confusion, because people talk about using the BMS for drain/balancing etc and so I wanted to ask and have a look inside the battery and see what I can find wrong, but I don't know if I should completely remove the BMS with all the wires to it or if maybe I have a dodgy cell pack that I can replace, but I also didn't want to do anything wrong and cause damage to anything if I shouldn't remove the BMS due to battery balance etc :|

Many thanks to anyone that be able to shed some light or thoughts on this for me Chaps/Chapesses :) ..
...... With my kind regards..Grant :p

PS..god we love these elec bikes, we have them on the island of Ibiza and use them constantly and love them, they speed along very quickly as we have them connected up for off road use!! :D ..Grant :p

TL;DR

Big Ol' Wall o' Text

Would get better / more responses inserting a few extra hard returns whitespace in there

Agreed on the wall of text, but the gist of it is that you haphazardly bypassed the BMS, ran the packs down much further to (unknown) controller LVC, never balance charged, and left the packs charged and discharged for a couple of months. That's a textbook list of all the conditions that will kill batteries, so no: there won't be a dodgy cell -- the whole pack is dead. You're lucky they lasted as long as they have.

If you don't want BMS, get a pack without BMS and balance charge regularly. Otherwise, don't hack up a new pack.

Ok Chaps..sorry for the long text :( ,,I was just trying to give all the info.. Well I believe (was told by the chap I got all my parts from) that the LV cut off in the controller was the same (48V that the BMS cuts off at) so I listened to him to link across the NEG thick wire of the BMS as mine was cutting out originally within 1 mile (original batt), I then done the same with the new batts.
So are we saying that by doing what I have done with the link on the BMS that it wont balance charge the batts?.. Just to confirm all the little wires from all the cells are still connected into the BMS..Thank you for your help so far ...Grant :)

Just another thought chaps..the battery pack that still seems Ok at the moment..do you think I should take it apart again and remove the link in the BMS and put it back how it should be, or would that be a silly thing to do this far down the road..a couple of years on..it still seems to work fine on one of the bikes, but maybe I shouldn't do that now..what do you think please?

Grant said:
I have read some stuff on here and I know there are different ways of by-passing BMS's
Yes, there are many ways of bypassing BMSes. They are all bad for the battery. Your BMS is WORKING - it is protecting your battery from overdischarge and dangerously low voltages. Since your battery has been so badly abused, it has very little capacity left and a lot of series resistance. This allows cell voltages to drop into a dangerous operating region.

You can certainly bypass the BMS. The battery will then be dead within a few cycles, since you will overdischarge it and start dissolving the copper cell anode. When you overdischarge it then charge it without a BMS, you risk dendrite formation and subsequent fire.

Short answer - you need a new battery.

There are thousands of solid performing LFP banks out there that work perfectly well without "a BMS"

really the term is just a collection of functionalities

all of which can be handled by individual DIY or OTS circuits / gadgets,

and many of which can be replaced by a careful and knowledgeable owner with a small collection of decent instruments.

Once you know the goals, have the skillz & tools, there are many many ways to ensure 5000+ cycles out of a set of quality cells, and possibly double that given the right conditions

Grant said:
Ok Chaps..sorry for the long text :( ,,I was just trying to give all the info..
Paragraphs would help

Grant said:
Well I believe (was told by the chap I got all my parts from) that the LV cut off in the controller was the same (48V that the BMS cuts off at)
If both LVCs were the same, then bypassing the BMS would have no effect

Grant said:
so I listened to him to link across the NEG thick wire of the BMS as mine was cutting out originally within 1 mile (original batt), I then done the same with the new batts.
Bypassing the LVC to utilize the last capacity of a dying pack is quite different from un-protecting a new pack.

Grant said:
So are we saying that by doing what I have done with the link on the BMS that it wont balance charge the batts?.. Just to confirm all the little wires from all the cells are still connected into the BMS..
Almost no BMS actively balance charge, and few balance at all. If it were balance charging, the pack probably wouldn't be in such poor health.

Grant said:
Just another thought chaps..the battery pack that still seems Ok at the moment..do you think I should take it apart again and remove the link in the BMS and put it back how it should be, or would that be a silly thing to do this far down the road..a couple of years on..it still seems to work fine on one of the bikes, but maybe I shouldn't do that now..what do you think please?
It may protect the pack from further damage, and protect a short from burning down your house, so yes, you should.

Really the balancing topic should be discussed in threads separately from the actually protective functions of a BMS

fatty said:
Almost no BMS actively balance charge, and few balance at all. If it were balance charging, the pack probably wouldn't be in such poor health.

What do **you** mean by "active" balance?

Why would you think that to be advantageous?

99.999% of BMS do balance, they just do not do it well.

Just as an exercise (for anyone), what are the attributes of those that cause them to do it well? balancing circuitry in general, not just BMSs.

No BMS does any sort of charging,

only balance chargers do so, and if you're using them, then the BMS should not be used for balancing.

Many thanks for your thoughts, explanations and suggestions...I will now go and connect the BMS's in both back to how they should be and I'll replace the Batt that seems to have lost it's range now, I will learn from my lesson as we do in life :) thank you all :)

Yes sounds like you've worn out your packs by bypassing the BMS without replacing the LVC functionality

nor balancing, even manually.

If you want to get better longevity out of your next set of batteries

learn how to care for them better first.

john61ct said:
Yes sounds like you've worn out your packs by bypassing the BMS without replacing the LVC functionality

nor balancing, even manually.

If you want to get better longevity out of your next set of batteries

learn how to care for them better first.
Yes..lesson learnt John, but I like to understand things..this is still my confusion here >>
1)The LVC is the same in the controller as the BMS, so, with that, it shouldn't have been a problem should it?
2) Am I correct in my understanding that the charging (when the bms is not by-passed) will charge all cells and balance them as much as can be possible with the certain BMS that has been installed by the manufacturer?
3) If they are left for 2 months that the batteries discharge somewhat, but with the BMS connected this is not an issue? but with the BMS bypassed(the way I did it , connecting NEG straight through) then they discharge more?

goatman said:
have you measured the voltage of each of the parallel groups yet?
you might be able to salvage that pack with an active balancer instead of a bms
Hi GoatMan :thumb: ..I am about to take it apart right now, so I will take some readings, I'll report back..not sure what an active balancer is, does that make sure the cells get charged evenly GoatMan please?..I'll be back with some readings real soon :) ..Thank you for your help Ole Chap :thumb:

Well..some good news, I thought I had bypassed the BMS in both the new batteries I had purchase a couple of years ago, but I must have confused myself..the one that still has a good range on it had the BMS bypassed from new(which I realise I shouldn't have done and will now connect it back to how it should be) and the Batt that is cutting out with a shorter range now does not have the BMS bypassed, so that is some sort of good news really..I am going to try to get to the cells of the one cutting out to see if I have a dodgy cell..I'll report back ASAP :thumb:

an active balancer will balance your pack for you
https://www.amazon.com/Li-ion-Lifepo4-Battery-Equalizer-Balancer/dp/B07X91MXC5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=equalizer+battery+active+balancer&qid=1624923865&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMVpLOVhaVkoyRVhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjI2NjI2MVNaOEVWV002NVZWQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzgzMTk4MkM3N1A4VURISFU2VSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

you can still bypass the bms if you want to and run your charger through the bms for balancing

heres an active balancer on youtube , Vortecks has alot of good content

https://youtu.be/KEnz7Um0xjg?t=368

goatman said:
an active balancer will balance your pack for you
https://www.amazon.com/Li-ion-Lifepo4-Battery-Equalizer-Balancer/dp/B07X91MXC5/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=equalizer+battery+active+balancer&qid=1624923865&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMVpLOVhaVkoyRVhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjI2NjI2MVNaOEVWV002NVZWQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzgzMTk4MkM3N1A4VURISFU2VSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

you can still bypass the bms if you want to and run your charger through the bms for balancing

heres an active balancer on youtube , Vortecks has alot of good content

https://youtu.be/KEnz7Um0xjg?t=368
Thank you very much GoatMan..I'll have a look :thumb: :wink:

Peeps, I know this has been spoken about previously as I found this info on this forum, but I am slightly confused when reading the other threads, so I wondered if anyone can confirm for me, this drawing here below, the 3rd image on the right hand side(bypassing BMS), will this still balance the cells whilst/and or/after(if left a while) charging? >>
>>
bms-variants.svg.png

Many thanks in advance :) ..Grant :thumb:

Dedicated non-BMS active balancers work that way, but not a BMS. Might work if you reconnect only black B- input.

But again, why?

fatty said:
Might work if you reconnect only black B- input.
But again, why?
I was looking for a solution using what I have here on the island and my LVC on the BMS has gone south, so was looking to find out if the cells would balance using this method you see, but you feel it may work if I connect the B-, I guess it wouldn't do any harm to try :? , but in your view it definitely wouldn't work at balancing without the B- connected?

goatman said:
Hi again GoatMan :thumb:, I was just picking up on this as I am alittle confused, some say yes and some say no, but your feeling is if I bypass my BMS like this pic (Pic 3, bypassing BMS), you feel it will still balance the cells on charging do you please? >>>
bms-variants.svg.png

picture 3 is the way you would do a cheap active balancer

you dont know if that bms you have is why the pack is out of balance, your cells could be fine and the bms could be your problem

easiest way to bypass the bms would be to run 2 new leads (battery positive/negative) to the controller

you would still use the existing charging port to charge/balance the pack

personally id toss the bms and just plug an active balancer on the old bms plug, like plug and play

Back