Fat Luck

Zoot Katz

100 kW
le Béte rolls 2.35" Big Apples and I love 'em. Fender clearance is tight but the ride is sweet.
The cushion and Kevlar layers are nice too.

Riding today I noticed a funny noise coming from the rear wheel so stopped to investigate.
Something was hitting the fender somewhere.
There was a nail sticking out of my tire and catching on the fender's duct tape repair.
It was 1-5/8" painted paneling nail with a ringed shank penetrating at a low angle.
I pulled it out expecting to hear air escaping but nothing happened. Figured it's probably a slow leak so if I ride fast I'll get where I'm going before it goes flat.
nada. Made it home too.
I think the Schwalbe Kevlar Guard saved my bacon.

Any day you don't have to change a tire, eat asphalt, or put out a fire is a good day.
Today was great.

send a picture and your story with the nail to schwalbe and see if they will give you another set for the publicity.

bent nails or screws are the worst. you should never ride on streets that lead to the construction debris recycling yards, never.

when i was returning from wood dump run, there was a sheet of plywood laying in the street with 4 or 5 nails sticking straight up, and people just drove over it. amazing. i stopped and threw it on the curb, it was only there about 15 minutes but i bet it ruined a dozen tires, the people who drove over the nails and had to repair or replace their tires likely never even put 2 and 2 together.

Zoot Katz said:
I think the Schwalbe Kevlar Guard saved my bacon.

Any day you don't have to change a tire, eat asphalt, or put out a fire is a good day.
Today was great.
Amen to that, I hope your luck stays 'fat'!

Having dropped a few of those boards when headed to the dump myself over the years, I know what you mean. :oops: Always figure a peice of panel or plywood has nails in it. Panel and sheet rock nails are the worst, they fit nicely through the crack in the tailgate. So the caprenters drive all over town sprinkling those. Roofing nails tend to hang up there. Out on the street, areas off to the side at intersections collect the loose gravel, and are always full of nails. So don't drive or ride through those patches either.

dnmun said:
you should never ride on streets that lead to the construction debris recycling yards, never.
Or ride on streets here in the valley. :lol: So much debris in random places; just never know when you'll wind up in a patch of tiny sharp pokey junk fallen off a salvage truck or trailer, or off a construction crew's truck, etc.

deserted warehouse streets can be tempting to detour around traffic but I've learned they've usually got a large number of pallet staples looking for a new home.

Back