Fight against ebikes heating up in Ontario

http://spacing.ca/wire/2009/02/27/can-bikes-and-scooters-get-along/

February 27th, 2009
Can bikes and scooters get along?
Posted by Fred Sztabinski

AMSTERDAM - Last summer an interesting debate got underway in Toronto. Electric scooters started appearing in the bike lane and some cyclists weren’t too happy about that (Note: I may have to recant my quote in this NOW Magazine article). In fact, the discussion came up at recent meetings of the Toronto Cycling Advisory and Pedestrian Committees. There are a variety of reasons why some cyclists don’t want to share their already-scarce dedicated space, but a lot of the discussion last year focused on the distinction between electric scooters (which are currently classified as bicycles) and traditional gas-powered scooters (which are not supposed to use the bike lane). Ontario’s Ministry of Transportation will soon wrap up a pilot project to test power-assisted bicycles in the hopes of developing a policy on their vehicular classification.

In Amsterdam, the distinction between electric and gas-powered is moot - all scooters are allowed to use bike lanes as long as they don’t exceed a 40 km/h speed limit (and most scooters are already limited to that speed). In fact, even small two-person cars - not much smaller than a Smart Car - can use the lane (see image below).

I have to say, back in Toronto I was against the idea of cyclists sharing the bike lane with anything motorized. However, it seems to work here and cyclists don’t really mind. It’s important to note that the average separated bike lane in Amsterdam is wider than the average bike lane in Toronto (2-4 metres compared to 1.5-1.8 metres), so there is more room to share. Also, not all scooter drivers use the bike lane - I’d estimate about a quarter to half of them do, depending on how busy the traffic is in the normal travel lanes.

I haven’t studied the issue closely, nor have I found much in the way of professional or academic study, but I imagine the debate in Toronto - much like the bike lane itself - will resurface once the snow melts.

3311480722_266e242fb5.jpg

Its all a fuss the bikes can co-live, i love my e-scooter and i like all cyclist and powered assists, in 1992 i was forced off the hwy by a drunk driver and had never gotten back on my legs are messed up and can not pedal
The scooters that we have are great, i am back on road doing LMAO 32 km, a far cry from my F250 but you know i like it, at $1 a week who cares.

If the power assit get pushed asside its only as people are affraid of green power, and i tell you i am No hippie

I have read many posts in here on online saying things are bad, yes trees are dying our natural resourses drying up yet you want to pull a E-bike off the road....

I do not get it, its wrong to do good, its wrong to make things right, ok, i can go buy a new F-250 gass guzzler and polute the air or, i can ride my 32km an hour Escooter,

I first came to this form seeking help against NCC over the bike trails, it never came to a protest as they handed us letters sayin they will allow.

I think we e-riders will do fine, if they give up on us they are only hurting themselves.

my newfy 2 cents.

Beowolf said:
I first came to this form seeking help against NCC over the bike trails, it never came to a protest as they handed us letters sayin they will allow.

Beowolf... I hadn't heard this before... it's official that the NCC is NOT banning ebikes from NCC pathways? I poked around their web site and could find zero mention of this... I don't think Toronto Parks have declared themselves one way or the other (other than their un-official ban which only applied to me as far as I can figure :twisted: ), but I am still hearing these rumblings from the pedal bike community that e-bikes shouldn't be permitted on Parks pathways (1/8th of the area of the old City of Toronto.) This because they assume "e-bikes" are all the scooter-style "bikes" that they - some of them - haven't "gotten over" yet.
tks
Lock

philf said:
Interesting reading, here...

I just have to comment on the link that nutsandvolts posted, though, regarding quadracycles... In the very first paragraph defining "Quadracycle Legalities", the following statement appears:

"This is because bicycles include only muscle-powered vehicles that have one, two or three wheels."

I was just given pause to remember Douglas Adams - the first author I remember promoting a book as the fourth in a trilogy...
Then again, a bicycle has two wheels, one wheel is aunicycle, three is a tricycle and for a quadricycle. In many law text things they refer to pedalcycles to cover them, altho no more then three wheels usually. But then again the four wheeled things with pedals I've seen were clearly cars, steering wheel and all. I'm not sure how one could think of them as bicycles, seems like intellectual dishonnesty.

northernmike said:
How DOES one measure output Watts at the motor shaft? :roll:

Easy. There are dynos small enough to be hauled around by cops or whatever to O WAIT I C WHAT WAS DONE THERE.

E-bike issue making noise
Posted By BRENDAN WEDLEY/Examiner Municipal Writer (Peterborough, Ontario)
Posted 4 days ago

Silent-running e-bikes are making noise with a proposed prohibition of the electricity-assisted bicycles on city trails that returns to city council on Monday.

Council endorsed the proposed bylaw at the committee of the whole meeting on June 8. The bylaw would add electric bicycles and Segways to the existing ban of motorized vehicles on city trails and parks.

The city would review the issue when the province releases its report following a three-year pilot program on e-bikes that ends in October.

Coun. Doug Peacock said he’d like to look at potential solutions, considering aspects such as the type of e-bike and the weight of the electricity-assisted bicycles.

He said he’s heard numerous complaints from residents north of Parkhill Rd. who live next to the Rotary Trail system.

Some of those complaints are about noise, but the e-bikes are silent, the Otonabee Ward councillor said.

An electricity-assisted bicycle, as defined by the province, has a top speed of 32 km/h. It’s a bicycle with an added battery-powered electric motor that can assist the cyclist. It can also be driven like a bicycle — pedal powered — without using the motor.

Riders don’t need a driver’s licence or insurance to drive an electric bicycle.

Some types of e-bikes look like regular bicycles but have a small electric motor. Other types are larger than a bicycle and look more like a scooter.

City police Sgt. John Ogrodnik told council last week that most of the complaints about electric bicycles on trails come from seniors who are concerned about the noise or the perceived speed of motorized vehicles.

bwedley@peterboroughexaminer.com

E-bikes can stay
Posted By SARAH DEETH, EXAMINER STAFF WRITER (Peterborough, Ontario)
Posted 1 day ago

E-bikes and Segways will be allowed on city trails, at least until October, when the issue may come up again in city council chambers.

After almost four hours of delegations and discussion, city council last night approved a bylaw allowing electricity-assisted bicycles, more commonly known as e-bikes, on public trails.

Council endorsed a prohibition of e-bikes on public trails during a committee of the whole meeting June 8.

In October, the province is to release information and recommendations following a pilot program that began three years ago.

Ken Doherty, director of community services, said the provincial program began when the first e-bikes cropped up. The bikes looked like mountain bikes with motors attached.

New e-bikes, resembling a scooter, have since been created. Those bikes are wider than the original e-bikes, Doherty said.

There was spirited discussion during last night's city council meeting, with 11 people making presentations against the proposed prohibition.

Zach Wynen was the only voice of opposition, arguing that the electric power of an e-bike is the only thing that separates it from a gas-powered moped.

Describing himself as an avid cyclist and frequent user of the city's trails, Wynen said the introduction of e-bikes on trails will only increase the risk for trail users.

An inexperienced rider could easily hit a dog or child if it jumps out in front of him or her, he said.

He pointed out that the province has yet to make its decision on where e-bikes should go, and told council members that they should delay their decision until they get direction from the province.

"I don't believe they belong on the trail. They are motorized vehicles," Wynen said.

But for Tom Veale, the e-bike is a great travel option.

The 75-year-old resident told council it's an environmentally friendly, economic option for residents.

Its risk factor is far less than a group of 10 inline skaters, speeding along the trail without working breaks, he said.

Veale told council it should learn more about the bikes before banning them altogether.

Problems with pedestrians on trails are problems of courtesy and education, he said, not problems with e-bikes.

Vern Windrem, owner of Green Street, a store on George St. that sells e-bikes, said the laws for e-bike users are the same as for cyclists.

The danger for e-bike users, he said, is on city streets, where riders have to deal with speeding vehicles.

Norwood resident Horst Vauth was the lone Segway user to speak.

He said his wife drops him off at Trent University and he whizzes along the trail, enjoying nature, while his wife shops downtown.

Half of the 2,000 kilometres he's put on his Segway are from riding the trails, he said.

Coun. Len Vass, an avid fan of e-bikes, rode his bike to last night's council meeting, travelling on the trails as he made his way to city hall.

He asked many delegates about their concerns on travelling the trails versus travelling on streets.

In questioning some delegates, Coun. Eric Martin expressed his concern that allowing e-bikes would open the door to other, bigger electric vehicles in the future.

E-bikes silent, great way to enjoy outdoors after hip surgery: Coun. Vass
Posted By ANDREA HOUSTON , EXAMINER STAFF WRITER (Peterborough, Ontario)
Posted 2 days ago

Two city councillors took a spin on a couple of e-bikes Saturday afternoon to make a case for allowing the electricity-assisted bicycles on city trails, especially for people with mobility issues.

Coun. Len Vass and Coun. Dean Pappas tested the bikes by riding around the parking lot of Green Street, an e-bike store on George St. Saturday afternoon.

Vass, who recently had a hip replacement operation, said ebikes are giving him the freedom to go cycling with his children and be active again.

"I enjoy it," he said. "On the e-bike I can go out with my family and I won't be broke down physically halfway through the trip because my hip is getting too much exercise.

"So this is the appropriate way for me to go out and spend time with my children."

Council endorsed a proposed bylaw of the e-bikes at the committee of the whole meeting on June 8.

The bylaw would add electric bicycles and Segways to the existing ban of motorized vehicles on city trails and parks.

Tonight the issue is returning to city council and Vass said he is against a ban.

"If we have a knee-jerk reaction to this, we are failing the people of Peterborough," Vass said. "The majority of the complaints that have been received are about noise.

"These bikes are silent. They make no noise."

On Friday, Vass and former city councillor Paul Rexe rode ebikes from Millennium Park to Trent University using the city trail system.
Advertisement

During the ride, Vass said the pair canvassed 100 random people, asking if "mobility impaired individuals should be allowed to use an e-bike on the trails?"

"There was no one who was against having e-bikes on the trail system," he said.

"Someone like Paul, who has cancer and a heart condition is able to get onto the trail system with these. I don't think we should discriminate against people like Paul.

"Before that, Paul's never been on the trails ever."

NOTES:Some types of e-bikes look like regular bicycles but have a small electric motor. Other styles look more like a scooter... The province defines an electricity-assisted bicycle as a bicycle with a battery-powered electric motor with a top speed of 32 km/h. It can also be used without the motor.

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=1942

Ministry: Ministry of Transportation
Regulation Number(s):
Bill or Act: Highway Traffic Act
Summary of Proposal: On October 3, 2006, the Province of Ontario began a three-year pilot project to evaluate the use of power-assisted bicycles (also known as electric bikes or e-bikes) on roads and highways where conventional bicycles are currently allowed.

On April 23, 2009, Bill 126, Road Safety Act, 2009, received Royal Assent. Bill 126 included amendments to the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) definition of "bicycle" to include power-assisted bicycles (i.e., "e-bikes") and to clarify that e-bikes must have operable pedals attached and must be capable of being propelled only by muscular power. The current pilot’s minimum age of 16 and the requirement that everyone operating/riding an e-bike must wear a helmet is also reflected in the legislation, as well as a Ministerial regulation-making power.

Before the pilot expires on October 3, 2009, the ministry is proposing a regulation that would further define operating and equipment requirements to address safety concerns associated with e-bikes.

For details of the Ministry’s proposal, please see attached. We invite you to submit your comments on the proposed changes. These will be taken into consideration, only with stakeholder comments received at a recent consultation session, in formulating the regulation.

Further Information: Electric Bicycle Proposal

Proposal Number: 09-MTO006
Posting Date: June 18, 2009
Comments Due Date: July 9, 2009
Ministry Contact Address: Road Safety Policy Office, Vehicles Room 212, Building "A", 1201 Wilson Ave., Downsview, ON, M3M 1J8

There is a link at the bottom of the page where you can comment on this proposal

Electric Bicycle – Summary of Proposal

INTRODUCTION:

This government is a strong champion of initiatives that expand mobility options for Ontarians, improve air quality, and promote green technologies. Safe integration of new vehicle types with pedestrians and other vehicles is a key consideration before any new type of vehicle will be permanently allowed on Ontario roads.

On October 3, 2006, the province began a three-year pilot to evaluate whether power-assisted bicycles (“e-bikes”) could be safely integrated with other vehicles and pedestrians. Since that date, e-bikes have been able to legally operate, unless prohibited by municipal by-law, on Ontario’s roads and highways where conventional bicycles are currently allowed. This three-year pilot test treats e-bikes like conventional bicycles with two important exceptions, namely, that riders must be 16 years of age or older and all riders must wear an approved bicycle helmet.

Overall, the feedback received to date on the e-bike pilot has been positive. The main safety concerns raised to date have been related to the weight, width, braking and pedal-less operation of certain types of e-bikes. To minimize these safety concerns, a new regulation is needed prior to the pilot’s expiry to specify additional equipment and operating requirements.

Vulnerable Road Users in Ontario:

This government takes the safety of pedestrians and cyclists very seriously. The Ministry has undertaken many initiatives to improve the safety of vulnerable road users – mandatory bicycle helmets for children, stricter driver licensing for moped users, higher fines for failing to yield to pedestrians, and demerit points for school crossing violations. MTO partners with more than 100 community groups across the province, including police and municipalities, to promote road user and bicycle safety.

Despite these, and continuing efforts, Ontario’s Road Safety Annual Report (2006) indicates:
Cyclist fatalities increased from 21 in 2005 to 32 in 2006, up 52.4% (total injuries decreased over the same period).
Ontario’s cyclist fatality rate was 0.24 per 100,000 population (5.6% higher than the national average of 0.22).
Pedestrian fatalities increased from 105 in 2005 to 126 in 2006, up 20% (total injuries increased slightly over the same period).
Ontario’s pedestrian fatality rate was 0.99 per 100,000 population (up from 0.84 in 2005).

E-bike Benefits:

Environmentally friendly
Reduced commute times, fuel costs and emissions
Increased mobility
No insurance, licence or registration requirements
Relatively inexpensive alternative mode of transportation
Expand cycling opportunities for Ontarians who are not able to or are concerned about using conventional bicycles that are solely muscular-powered.

E-Bike Safety Concerns:

E-bikes are silent (conventional bicycles generate noise from pedalling and chains);
Ease with which maximum motor speed can be increased through modifications;
Absence of standards/requirements for e-bike electrical components;
View that e-bikes can be operated by those with suspended licences to circumvent impaired driving penalties;
Sharing roads and bicycle paths with pedestrians and cyclists, given that some e-bikes are wider, longer and heavier than regular bicycles;
Inadequate braking systems, particularly those found on the larger/heavier e-bikes;
E-bikes resembling scooters cause confusion as to where they fit within the regulatory scheme on the part of law enforcement, municipalities and the general public;
No requirement for licensing/registration/insurance; and
Maneuverability and stability compromised due to small tires.

Potential Regulatory Options to Address E-bike Safety Concerns:

* Highlighted text has been already been addressed through Bill 126, Road Safety Act, 2009.

** The Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA) is a non-profit organization comprising representatives of the provincial, territorial and federal governments of Canada which, through the collective consultative process, makes recommendations to its members on administrative and operational matters dealing with licensing, registration and control of motor vehicle transportation and highway safety.

Further Questions for Comments:

In addition to comments concerning the potential regulatory options to address e-bike safety tabled above, we welcome feedback on any or all of the questions below.

1.Do you have a preference amongst the CCMTA, European Union (EU), or status quo options?
If not, is there a hybrid option you would like to propose? And if so, what would your position be on each of the potential regulatory items (e.g., maximum weight, braking distance, etc.)?

2.The CCMTA and (EU) options would likely make most scooter-style vehicles ineligible for use as e-bikes. However, they may be permitted under the Limited-Speed Motorcycle (LSM) rules in Ontario, pending speed/equipment modifications and compliance.
Do you feel many of the scooter-style e-bikes available could meet LSM equipment standards? If not, how would you propose the Province address them outside of the e-bike program?
What kind of impact would regulations that essentially removed scooter-style vehicles from the e-bike program have on your business?

3.Are stakeholder concerns related to weight/size/braking of some e-bikes, particularly scooter-style ones, justified?
Are there any additional benefits/safety concerns that you feel we did not address?

4.What is a reasonable estimate of the number of e-bikes on Ontario's roads?
Of these, what proportion resemble scooters?

5.What kind of questions/feedback are customers providing you?
Do you feel that customers were fully aware that e-bikes were permitted under a pilot project and that there was no guarantee as to the outcome prior to their purchase?

6.Is there any recent published data/research on e-bikes that you feel we should be aware of, and that could be shared?

7.Are there emerging e-bike technologies/designs/configurations that we should be aware of?

More information on the current electric bicycle pilot can be found on the Ministry’s website at:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/index.shtml#power

Thank you.

..Don't know why that jpg snapshot of possible proposed changes doesn't show right so here is a text table:
............................CCMTA BEST PRACTICES**....ONTARIO STATUS QUO...European Union
Minimum Age...............................14.....................16*......................--
Maximum E-Bike Weight (kg)............50.....................No.......................--
Maximum Speed (km/h)..................32.....................32.......................25
Power Cut-Off Speed (km/h).............No.....................No.......................25
Maximum Power (W)....................500....................500......................250
Pedal-Assist only (P),
Throttle (T), or Both (B)...................P.......................B.........................P
Municipal by-law power
to prohibit.................................Yes.....................Yes.......................--
Prohibit Removable Pedals...............--......................--........................Yes
Brake and Lighting Requirements......Yes.....................Yes*......................Yes
Braking Distance Requirement..........Yes.....................No........................No
Prohibit speed tampering...............Yes.....................--........................--
Electrical wiring Req’ts.................Yes.....................No........................Yes
Battery Recharge Req’ts.................--......................No........................Yes
Bicycle registration.......................--......................No........................--
Minimum Wheel Width/Diameter (mm).35/350..............No........................--
Compliance label........................Yes....................Yes*.......................Yes
Helmet..................................Yes....................Yes*.......................No
Licence Requirement...................--.....................No.........................--
Other?....................................--.....................--.........................--

BTW... with regard to pedelec (ebike motor doesn't work unless rider pedals)

Transport Canada considered pedal-assist only or separate power, when they first studied power-assist bikes in 2000.

Basically at first they had proposed legislation for pedal-assist only, then amended that to permit power separate after their study. Summary page here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/innovation/tdc/summary/13700/13732e.htm

From that page:
"The findings demonstrated that the two e-bike systems – electrically propelled and electrically assisted – were equally safe. Therefore, the new regulations should not include restrictions on the motor’s operating apparatus. In addition, users also noted that e-bikes encourage users to obey the Highway Safety Code more strictly (for example, they are more likely to stop at mandatory stops) because the bikes’ motor power makes standing starts easier. "

So on this point alone I would ask the wizards hiding behind their curtains at the CCMTA where they get the idea that pedelec is the better option... Show us their studies?
Tks
Lock

With regards to the proposed minimum wheel size of 35cm, this is still smaller than the Toronto By-Law that limits bicycle wheel sizes to a minimum of 61cm on sidewalks... :wink:
...are there really ebike designs out there with wheels less than 14"?!!! Where do they come up with this stuff????

So Ontario (population over 11 million) requires helmets on ebikes (though not for adults on pedal bikes) while the EU (population almost 500 million) does not?
Perhaps the CCMTA would like to suggest knee and elbow pads required as well?

It's interesting to see how the Ontario government is trying to wrap themselves in the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA) flag...

When they refer to the CCMTA "Best Practices" guidelines, it appears they are referring to this CCMTA document developed from a survey (Well, what do *you* think?) made over eight years ago:
http://www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/power_assisted_cycles.pdf

This (dated?) document makes no reference to a power limit except to suggest that "Jurisdictional regulations should be consistent with federal statutes concerning power assisted bicycles."

The document also states "Jurisdictional regulations should not accommodate the on-road use of stand-upon, kick and push type of motorized scooter."
...while I am aware of NO research studies about stand-up powered scoots that have found them any more dangerous than pedal bicycles...

The CCMTA document makes NO REQUIREMENT for pedelec only. What it ACTUALLY states is:
"The motor of a motor assisted cycle must cease to function or be disengaged when the operator stops pedaling; or when an accelerator or a motor control
switch located on the handlebar is released; or when a brake or brakes are applied."

Oh yeah... and with regards to bike paths (bike lanes?) the document states:
Bike Paths
Operation of power assisted cycles on bicycle paths should be permitted, except for areas or specific paths that have been specifically prohibited by provincial or territorial regulations or by municipal or regional district bylaws.
Rationale - power assisted cycles are regulated to operating characteristics that mimic regular bicycles and as such should be afforded the same privileges as given to regular bicycles, and it provides simplicity for enforcement.

Tks
Lock

Interesting that China had the same ban ebikes reaction until they actually took off the blinkers and looked at the issue
http://www.scribd.com/doc/1960031/Electric-Bike-Use-in-China-and-Their-Impacts-on-the
The study was made on behalf of two city governments in China that were leaning towards banning the eBikes from bike lanes... as it turned out because they didn't have all the facts and were reacting to anecdotal complaints from conventional bicyclists.
(emphasis mine)

Lessss said:
Results of tht survey
Thanks Lessss... the narrative responses are interesting...
On the question "5. Where do you think this type of vehicle should be allowed to operate?" while the prior question ("Bikelanes Y/N?) reports about a 1/3 yes 2/3 no split the narrative replies are closer to 3/4 no and only 1/4 yes...

The last question "6. Please add any other thoughts/feedback you have about this type of electric vehicle." have more interesting responses... Here are a few:

I'm both a cyclist and a motorized scooter rider, so I have a LOT of opinions about these. I realize that the speed allowance on these electric types is quite low, and that may be why they are not encouraged to be out in the road with traffic. I'm pretty sure the technology is there to give them enough speed, and that would be the best solution. As a scooter rider I am furious that these scooter-looking things are riding at the side of the road with bicycles, because it trains drivers to see scooters as vehicles that don't belong on the road, and that perception puts my life at risk.
As a cyclist, I find these fake scooters problematic because they do not travel at the same speed at I do, and they take up too much room in the lane.
Personally, I think they are for lazy people who don't have the guts to get out in the road on a real motorized two-wheeler.
As for parking - well, I always support dedicated motorized two-wheeler parking as distinct from both car parking and bike parking - as in Europe, which puts them either at the edge of a wide sidewalk, or along the curb near car parking. The e-bikes should be parked in these places, but they don't exist. Yet.

the people who ride electric scooters are not likely to be converted to the bicycle, they have probably already considered it and have chosen a motorized vehicle. It is essential that we enable these folks to stay out of cars. Once they are sharing our space, they will think more like cyclists, and eventually demand the kind of infrastructure that benefit cyclists.

bike lanes are not sufficient for them, so as they grow in number they will demand more space and safety on the road. These people are new allies and we have to support and encourage them until they can take their own piece of the road.

The more non-cars on the road, the better. Let's do all we can to get cars off the streets downtown.

They are not dangerous like automobiles and create less congestion on roads. They should be allowed to use the bike lanes, but not the Martin Goodman trail (for example). I believe that many individuals who are not physically able to cycle but would benefit from this 'style' of transportation should be welcomed into the cycling community. They quite likely have the same issues with car culture as most cyclists.

Being religious about the 'human power' aspect of the bicycle serves no one. What we need is paths/lanes for slower more vulnerable vehicles and the more people that are using the current ones the more new ones we'll get.

I believe the biggest issue is the speed and acceleration differential between these vehicles and other vehicles in the same lane. If the speed and acceleration of these vehicles is similar to bicycles (which I understand to be the case), then I don't see a problem with them operating in the bicycle lanes. In fact, I think they are able to help the fight for additional bicycle lanes by showing that the lanes are being used and reducing the amount of car traffic.

I do not understand why anyone would want one. My bike gets me there and I get exercise!

The more people using bikelanes - whether cyclists or people on e-bikes, the more ammunition we have for asking for better cycling infrastructure. E-bikes are just as vulnerable as regular cyclists when riding in car traffic. Cars and trucks are the danger, not e-bikes.

The questions in this 'survey' were very leading and biased. I have met several disabled people who wish they could be cyclists but are limited by mobility issues. They enjoy cycling for the same reason we do: it's kinder to the environment, more affordable and a more joyful experience. However, they don't get to enjoy the sense of community and camaraderie that we enjoy due to some really nasty prejudice. Many of these cyclists pedal when they are able and use the their battery as a back-up. The power assisted bike provide relief when needed, and helps when climbing inclines.
I met one of these such individuals at the Bells on Bloor ride. She was out riding in support of the implementation of bike lanes, yet was being shouted at left and right by other cyclists and was actually told to leave. Over the course of the ride, she was forced to explain her situation over and over again. She calmly explained that she wanted more than anything to be a cyclist. She cares about the environment - in fact she traded in her car for her power assisted bike -she's doing the best she can, but she is still treated with disrespect from cyclists. I feel like it's pretty silly to turn away a large and growing group of people who support our cause. They're in the same boat as we are, they just want safer less car-monopolized streets.
I'm a cyclists Union member, and a cycling advocate. Can we discuss something more productive now?

I have been unnerved to see them in the bike lanes; i question my hesitation. hmmm, i guess the width and weight of these are my concerns. As someone who endured the onset of snowboards at ski resorts, and witnessed kiteboards mixing with windsurfers, it looks like the same growing pains. We need to look at our expectatiions of these vehicles and their users, and look at any best practices analyses that might be available the world over in looking at how these mix with bikes. Calling one of these eBikes a 'bicycle' is like calling a snowboard a pair of skis. But those users' do share the mountain. Let's be cautiously open-minded toward eBikes.

at red lights the rapid acceleration and then regulation of speed causes these scooters to pass cyclists, then forces cyclists to pass them. This causes two dangerous moments in traffic. Having them in bike lanes is a hazzard.

...Anyway, end of a few quotes. There are a lot that express concerns about ebike riders "sneaking up" on them. The sense I get is that there are "ebike" retailers out there selling product to cycle noobs without educating them a bit about cycle etiquette.

Tks
Lock

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Egan Scooters cyclists over right trails/1882926/story.html

Scooters, cyclists war over right to use NCC trails

OTTAWA — It is persuasively evident the National Capital Commission needs to rethink its recreational path system in the capital.
Before we start killing each other.

At peak times, the best-used sections can’t safely accommodate the volume of eclectic traffic: pedestrians, baby strollers, toddlers, senior citizens, dog walkers, joggers, rollerbladers, wheelchairs, Canada geese and, especially, speeding cyclists.

If you live near the busier stretches, you will know firsthand that at commuter times only sharp eyes and ears keep you from being roadkill. The leisurely stroll on Her Majesty’s pathways is, in fact, dead. The NCC, surely, needs to think about twinning the paths — one for cycling only, perhaps? — or restricting slow-moving two-footers to certain hours.

Now add to the mix the use of electric scooters, which, for the moment, are permissible on the 180-kilometre system.

Jaimie Houle, 30, a single mother in Aylmer, has felt the wrath of sanctimonious cyclists on the NCC paths.

She bought a $1,400 scooter last summer, partly on the premise she could safely commute with her three-year-old daughter to day care in the Hull sector, a 25-kilometre run.

No sooner had she turned the key and silently wheeled away, but trouble began.

“I’ve had people actually block my path,” said Houle.

“They shout at you, shake their heads. One cyclist, every time he sees me, he barks at me, makes animal noises. He even pointed his finger at me, like it was a gun.”

The electric scooters are a relatively recent arrival on area roads. Technically, Ontario considers them a bicycle, though the designation is under review.

They require no licence or insurance and are limited to a top speed of 32 km/h. They look very much like gas-powered scooters, which are prohibited on bike paths. Therein, perhaps, lies the confusion.

They come equipped with pedals, but are intended to run on batteries, for up to 100 kilometres between charges.

“In my opinion, about 90 per cent of cyclists don’t follow the rules of the road, yet they’re comfortable claiming I’m illegal,” said Houle, who is saving $75 a month in bus fares by using the yellow scooter.

Because of the constant harassment on the Quebec portion of the NCC path, she now takes an alternate route to Hull, carrying her daughter in a special harness.

Charles Jonah is a manager at Jademark Technologies Inc., which sells electric scooters from its outlet on Roosevelt Avenue in Ottawa.

He, too, has felt the wrath of cyclists, possibly confused because the NCC originally said the e-bikes were banned.

“A gentleman threw a 7-Up bottle at my bike,” said Jonah, recalling an incident on the NCC path near the Champlain Bridge this spring.

Startled, he said he nearly drove into a woman pushing a stroller. Heated words were exchanged.

This may be the handiest barometer of all. Heated words being exchanged. Talk to anyone who uses the paths on a regular basis and you will hear tales of near-misses, arguments, threats or stories of avoidance.

(I’ve pretty much given up walking the dog there in the morning. Too nuts, especially with a leashed animal who won’t stick to his lane.)

Much is known about usage on NCC paths, but much is not.

The commission does not keep track of how many accidents occur on its pathways, a spokesman said Tuesday, or injuries. Nor does it know how many electric bikes are wheeling about.

It has a sometimes-posted 20 km/h speed limit for cyclists, but admits this is a rule without legislative force. It does not ticket anyone for speeding. And, frankly, how could the Crown agency expect an accomplished cyclist to go that slow?

The paths are a victim of their own success, with traffic steadily climbing.

According to surveys conducted for the NCC, there were 17 million trips on NCC paths (including a portion of Gatineau Park) in 1998, but 31 million in 2008.

The proportion of pedestrians, meanwhile, is shrinking: from 30 per cent in 1998 to 24 per cent a decade later.

Similarly, the share of cyclists has grown over the decade, from 56 per cent to 64. In other words, almost two-thirds of users are now cyclists. With greening attitudes, more central infill, a broadening path network, that ratio will probably rise.

Two wheels now rule. It is a point worth discussion: Is the safest long-term option to kick everybody but cyclists off the paths?

Houle and Jonah would like to see improved signage about e-bikes on the paths themselves, clear information on the NCC website and perhaps an education campaign. The NCC, meanwhile, has a 2006 strategic plan for pathways. Shared use and courtesy are big concepts. Twin, separated paths are not.

“I think the NCC has a good record of being attuned to what the people in the National Capital region want,” said spokesman Jean Wolff.

He said conservation agents do patrol the pathways. “They’re all over the place and their work is about educational awareness and safety.”

Well, safety is a noble goal. Trouble is, on the capital’s recreational paths, too often it means get the hell out of the way.

Contact Kelly Egan at 613-726-5896 or by e-mail, kegan@thecitizen.canwest.com

The Observer (Sarnia, ON)

July 23, 2009

Sarnia may consider restricting the use of electric bicycles on some walkways and trails.

City officials have been fielding questions and complaints about scooter-like eBikes as they grow in popularity and number, said Mayor Mike Bradley.

"If you look at fuel prices, the positive environmental aspects and the benefits for people who perhaps aren't physically fit enough to cycle, it's great. There are a lot of reasons to support them," he said.

"There are just some places they are not appropriate."

Some eBikes look like scooters but have pedals and operate on muscle-power and a rechargeable electric fuel cell. They can travel up to 32 kilometres per hour, a speed that worries some trail walkers, Bradley said.

"You could make the case that a good cyclist could beat these vehicles in a flash," he said. "They're allowed on the trails."

Ontario's Ministry of Transportation is running a three-year pilot to determine how eBikes should be regulated. That period ends Oct. 3.

The vehicles are currently regulated under the Highway Traffic Act and can travel anywhere a bicycle can.

"Staff will probably bring something forward as it pertains to the Howard Watson nature trail and the waterfront," Bradley said. "My preference is to wait until the pilot project is done. I would be very surprised if Ontario did not move forward to allow these vehicles status."

Bluewater eBike Club member Jeff Lacroix said instead of spending time telling eBikers where they can't go, the city should create more dedicated lanes for all cyclists.

"It's illegal for people to ride bikes on sidewalks but the city overlooks it because we don't have enough bike paths," he said. "That's really what we need, more bike paths."

Lacroix said public education is needed so eBikes are accepted as a positive, environmentally- friendly vehicles. That would help the community become comfortable seeing them on local roads and trails.

"Legally, people can't really say they are too big for the trails because from handlebar to handlebar they are the same size as a bicycle," he said. "They're just a little wider down below. It's just that people aren't used to seeing something like that on the trail."

Current events:

Media release from the Niagara Regional Police Service:
http://www.nrps.com/news/details.asp?id=mr937
During a recent project involving e-bikes members of the Special Enforcement Unit stopped 21 e-bikes. In all cases warnings were issued with respect to one or more of the following: moving violations, safety equipment violations, or modifications that effectively changed the status of the e-bike to that of a motor vehicle. In addition to the above, 4 Provincial offence notices, and 5 summonses were issued.
Date Submitted: 7/18/2010

Article in the National/Financial Post:
http://business.financialpost.com/2010/08/10/ont-cops-crackdown-on-illegal-bikes/
Ontario cops crackdown on illegal bikes
Postmedia News August 10, 2010 – 3:33 pm

Police in southwestern Ontario are trying to nip the problem of illegally modified bicycles in the bud before it gets any worse.

London Police reminded residents in the area that home-modified bicycles that use gas- and electric-powered motors are most likely illegal as Ontario has firm restrictions as to what types of vehicles can ride on residential streets.

“The only gas-powered device on two wheels is a motorcycle or a (scooter), which has lots of regulations applied to it,” said Sgt. Tom O’Brien of the London Police Traffic Management Unit. “Any motor-assisted bicycle that’s not a (scooter) in Ontario has to be electric.”

O’Brien was quick to point out, however, that only certified e-bikes are permitted for street use, so electric motor kits — commonly purchased online —would likely not be legal.

While he could not confirm the number of charges laid as a result of illegal bikes, O’Brien said it was likely “no more than half a dozen,” but added many officers are more prone to spread awareness of the rules.

“A lot of time officers will use their discretion and educate the person and not lay any charges and warn them,” he said.

“E-bikes are a bit confusing to some police officers because they look very much like a limited-speed scooter, which is gas powered and needs a licence and needs insurance.”

O’Brien said in Ontario, adults over the age of 18 can ride a standard bicycle without a helmet. In the case of e-Bikes or any other motorized bike, however, helmets are required by law.

Back