First ebike ride today!!!!

snowcrow

100 W
I final got the kit installed and took it out for a short test drive across town. WOW...Biking will never be the same after that :D The 408 with a 48v 25 amp controller and SLA batteries is fast enough for me. I used 8 awg wires between batteries thinking it would help to increase performance when hill climbing. It seems to have helped, I could go up a 10% grade with ease, and power to spare, total weight 250 lbs. I'm thinking that the cheezy little foam and plastic brain bucket I have now is not going to cut it :roll: time for an upgrade!! I'm hooked now, cann't wait to take it out for a longer spin tomorrow 8) Blessings, Snow Crow

Yahoo! And thanks again for the help with the magnets. The motor runs ok now, but I think it has some burnt winding insulation as it still only goes about 18 mph. Fast enough for the trike though. The motor had been going a bit slower each week as I gradually fried it this summer.

Vermont is great for a bike this time of year! Used to live there, Snowcrow!
otherDoc

Thanks guys for all the help getting me started!!! It is nice riding up here in Vermont WHEN ITS NOT RAINING, like it has been since June. I'm going to try getting an hour or two of riding in this morning before the rain starts again. Do a few more hill climbs and see how it does. 8)
dogman said:
Yahoo! And thanks again for the help with the magnets. The motor runs ok now, but I think it has some burnt winding insulation as it still only goes about 18 mph. Fast enough for the trike though. The motor had been going a bit slower each week as I gradually fried it this summer.
No problem dogman. As long as your coil wires aren't black in color and crusty looks, they should be fine. That coating on the wire is pretty tough and good up 200 degrees C :oops: The steady loss of speed over time still makes me think the magnets got baked :cry: Blessings, Snow Crow

Something got baked, that is for sure! Oh well, It still runs good enough for the trike. And now we know what the upper heat limits are on a BD36. I need gears for that hill, but for now, I put the bike on the bus for the last half of the ride home. The other motor, that did the same climb at under 95 F is fine. They both climbed the hill about the same number of times, but the other motor did it hauling a trike, and about 60 lbs of sla's.

Hi snowcrow I'm thinking of building a bike with the same setup you chose, everything the same except the wheel position, I mean I'd like the hub motor to be in the front wheel.

My idea is to use the bike to commute thought the city of Madrid in Spain 8mile/13km and then 8mile way back (total 16mile/25.7km). It's a bit crowded city at certain hours and it has several stops and traffic lights along the way.

This is how the route looks like

file.php

And this is the unique hill the route has, it is just 1000fet/300m log

file.php

As you are already using the setup I want, I have some questions for you if you don't mind to answer them:
1) Do you think your setup will be fine for me?
2) Would I have enough power to start from the stops and traffic lights?
3) I'm thinking of buying a 48v 15AmpH, do you think I'll handle the expected range (16miles, with a bit of margin... 2 miles or 3 miles in case I'd choose an alternative route or something).
4) Is the start powerful with no pedaling at all?
5) What's the speed you reach with no pedaling at all? (as you can see my intention is not to pedal).
6)Do you get braking battery regen with your controller?

Thank you

PS: Sorry because of my English, I'm not native speaker (not even a speaker) :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2009-12-27 a las 03.14.32.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 1,084
maesitos said:
Hi snowcrow I'm thinking of building a bike with the same setup you chose, everything the same except the wheel position, I mean I'd like the hub motor to be in the front wheel.

Hi maesitos, glad to help :D

1) Do you think your setup will be fine for me?

Answer: The best way to choose a setup is to find a bike shop that is willing to let you take a test ride! It's always good idea to try before you buy, if at all possible!

Answer: It depends on the total weight of bike and rider :? I've found it best to assist with some pedalling for a dead stop. Your system will draw a lot loss power from the battery pack and will give you greater range :mrgreen:

3) I'm thinking of buying a 48v 15AmpH, do you think I'll handle the expected range (16miles, with a bit of margin... 2 miles or 3 miles in case I'd choose an alternative route or something).

Answer: If you're planning for no pedalling and lots of traffic lights, a 15aH battery is not going to be enough :shock:

Answer: Not really! It's slow to get up to speed from a dead stop without any pedalling :|

5) What's the speed you reach with no pedaling at all? (as you can see my intention is not to pedal).

Answer: Crusing speed is about 25mph on flat pavement with no wind at 250lb total weight.

6)Do you get braking battery regen with your controller?

Answer: No, the stock controller that comes with the hub doesn't have regen :cry: Other people have tried modifing the stock controller and have not been that successful :| If you want regen, it's best to buy a controller that has it already 8)

I think you will be needing something a bit bigger for the performance you are looking to get. Test ride a few bikes first before making your final choose and you will be a happy camper in the end :lol:

Blessings, Snow Crow

oh yeah, they are great aren't they and so quiet !! I was hooked too. If you want, you can look up my 5303 review of the first time I rode it. It's in either the "reviews" section or "photos and videos" section.

I got one of these on the way for riding in the rain. I should have bought one of these earlier...

It's a Bec-Tech Waterproof Balaclava. It'll keep you dry.

33bb_3.JPG

maesitos said:

You need about at least 75 nm/lb of torque to get a good acceleration on a stop from my experience. I have a Forsen hub with not much torque and it struggles in traffic. When I got my 5303, which I think has around 75 nm/lb of torque at 48v, then it really took off without pedaling very easy and I could keep up with traffic.

You might try the 2805 from Nine Continent. It's brand new and is supposed to be a carbon copy of the 5303. Look at the graph at 48v....plenty of torque. The Ezee at 26" rim has 100 nm of torque. That might be a good option for you. The Ezee at 26" has 100 nm of torque but peaks at 50 for the power with a 35 amp controller and the 2805 power peaks at 60 and torque at 75 nm with a 35 amp controller. Maybe someone on here who has an Ezee can tell you about the acceleration from stop.
The 408 with a 35 amp controller only gets 62 nm of torque so the 2805 is about 10 nm of torque more with same battery and controller. Here is the simulator if you want to try out different stuff

http://ebikes.ca/simulator/

2805m.jpg

408opy.jpg

snowcrow said:

Answer: If you're planning for no pedalling and lots of traffic lights, a 15aH battery is not going to be enough :shock:

Will it be enouhg if I peddal a bit?

I don't have the chance to try a bike like that in my city. In europe that power and speed on a bike is not legal.

morph999 said:
oh yeah, they are great aren't they and so quiet !! I was hooked too. If you want, you can look up my 5303 review of the first time I rode it. It's in either the "reviews" section or "photos and videos" section.

Thank you, I'm following you know :wink:

maesitos said:
snowcrow said:

Will it be enouhg if I peddal a bit?

I don't have the chance to try a bike like that in my city. In europe that power and speed on a bike is not legal.

morph999 said:

Thank you, I'm following you know :wink:
Yes, you should be ok with the 15aH battery pack if you do some pedalling, and using the 408 hub 8)

Back