Fitting freewheels to splined freehub drivers

Spinningmagnets, you can easily capture the freewheel by putting bolts onto the sprocket valleys. I did this to a shimano freewheel. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11542 So size becomes less of an issue. Better to choose one that people plan to use the most so we can get more of a group discount.

I agree, I can use two of the 16T ENO's if need be, to get the ball rolling on a group discount. It it easy for a garage mechanic to make an Extron adapter disc (here's an 18T to 47T chainring adaptation)...

Hi,
liveforphysics said:
Gary- You mind giving him a call and seeing if he just happens to have stock on hand to send me 10 of the 16t units, and 10 of the flanged units? I can just put that on my credit card. That should be enough to get 10 people setup to start with, and when folks see the advantages of total drive system isolation at the rear hub, it's going to build a lot of demand.

GGoodrum said:
Yes, I will call him Monday morning. I'll also see if we can have our own flange version, maybe with 4 or 6 holes, instead of the 5 used on the Sickbikes variant.

-- Gary

I think its worth asking about flanges but I bet the simplest cheapest solution will be toothed units with his stock sprockets (probably 16t and 22t). Then have Miles do the CAD work for an adaptor from the 22t sprocket to to the proper BCD for the Extron 219. Then Gary's friend can easily and affordably make a small run of adaptors. In a small quantity I think having a small shop do a small run will probably be cheaper and easier than having WI do it.

I'd also ask him (can't hurt to ask) about getting the FW's with no treads and possibly no shoulders.

I have been checking around for the best price for the Sram Dual Drive disc hub for this project and this is the best I could find.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=HU2597

I am assuming others may be doing the same search and if they come up with a better deal please post.

Barrie

Wonderful piece of work there. I was reading your conversation about dealing with the bike shop, we have a BMX specific bike shop near boulder, joes bikes. I went in there trying to solve the drive problem explained my situation and it was if I was talking a foreign language. I really think most folks even in bike shops have never tried to work out an engineering problem.

I love the solution you are coming up with but I went with the custom adapter plate that is bolting to the 16tooth sprocket... after I destroy the 3 speed maybe I will switch to this.

The progress bikes have made here at ES has been incredible and the future is just awesome. The caveman timing idea is awesome. I think it would be great to see full custom motors and controllers that can be switched from delta to wye in the controller, stronger 3 or even 7 speed internal geared hubs and batteries for the common man. (not that I can't deal with batteries but) Although most this stuff is really over the top... I sometimes wonder about the stability of my little bike above 20mph :) I will be enjoying watching the progress from the sidelines and planning the upgrade or next build once I actually finish one :) keep up the amazing work and remember there are many lurkers that can't keep up but are planning and scheming based on these posts.

http://www.ebikestop.com/sram_dual_drive_hub_36h_135mm_no_clickbox-HU2595.php

J Barrie Wilkinson said:
I have been checking around for the best price for the Sram Dual Drive disc hub for this project and this is the best I could find.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=HU2597

I am assuming others may be doing the same search and if they come up with a better deal please post.

Barrie

It "appears" the
$266 SRAM-DD has the 6-hole disc brake flange (part # HU2597), and the
$238 model does not (part # HUY2595), both 36-spoke, can't see any other differences....

Are these SRAM 3 speeds any more robust than your run of the mill 3 speed hubs? There has been a discussion on 'rear end' gearing options and 3 speed hub strength has been discussed, the discussion (with the exception of Thud...) didn't attract some of the more...uhm...lets say 'expert' members I am interested to hear what the other engineering gurus think of the 3 speeds strength and capabilities to handle higher powered setups, which lets be honest here, is what 99% of these freewheels will end up being used on with or without a 3 speed hub.

KiM

The Nexus-3 hubs have been proven. People have thrown everything a big E-tek motor can dish out at them, and not had any failures or issues.

I don't know how proven the SRAM hubs are, but I bought one used just a few hours ago for $100 with the shifter setup. I will take it apart and post up pics of the internals, and let you know if I see anything that looks girly.

sramv.jpg

Damn good price on the second hand Dual drive hub. I cant seem to find them for sale second hand anywhere let alone in that sort of price range :cry:

Your not too worried about losing your rear disc brake? I suppose the front brake is the critical one.

boostjuice said:
Your not too worried about losing your rear disc brake? I suppose the front brake is the critical one.

This is Luke we is talkin boutz here man! Brakes are for dress wearing tree hugging lentil eaters not
psychotic mofos with no fear and a death wish...brakes pfffft..thats what the soles of his sneakers are for

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously though...nice find on the hub their buddy, you will be up and running soon i imagine now you have
your broached freewheels happening!!! Make sure you get some video action before you toast soemthing this time
Luke :lol:

KiM

:lol:

for sure let us know how that pans out Luke, i know Gary has told us that the 3 speed hubs are great but the articles ive read do not recommend them for dh'ers or freeride, i'm happy that one will go under the kosch in more ways than power applied so i can get one reassured their Luke proof ;)
if i could use it it would save me a big headache as i could revert to single up front complete with bash guard, that would save no end of arsing with triple and deraileur leaving me more room to figure out my re-jig, nice one, and score on the price!!

D

AussieJester said:
boostjuice said:

This is Luke we is talkin boutz here man! Brakes are for dress wearing tree hugging lentil eaters not
psychotic mofos with no fear and a death wish...brakes pfffft..thats what the soles of his sneakers are for

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously though...nice find on the hub their buddy, you will be up and running soon i imagine now you have
your broached freewheels happening!!! Make sure you get some video action before you toast soemthing this time
Luke :lol:

KiM

If you do want to run brakes in the rear using an SRAM dual drive, you still can. It is available with and without 6 bolt.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU407C05-Sram+Dual+Drive+Hub+06.aspx

Attachments

• hu407c05_____36___disc.jpg
    hu407c05_____36___disc.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2,448
Luke,

lets be having your home addy and pp adress by PM - eno's on the way :)
by the way do any of the three speed hubs come in black :twisted:

D

Saw this SRAM Dual drive setup on ebay. Would have kept this find to myself except the seller wont ship internationally. Most E-buyers would want to relace the hub into a different rim, also it's the non-disc brake version. Even so you get the hub, deraileur and shifter. Maybe the reserve price isn't silly...? Worth a shot for someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-Dual-Drive...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca7f5eed4

At $50 UPS ground shipping (to me here the USA), that's not such a great deal, to me, since I'm sure the reserve is nowhere near as low as I'd like. :(

Luke,

is the broaching happening now? i pm'ed you and posted for your addy to send some eno's but no reply?

D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
maybe he's burning up fuel like a jet in his civic?
come on LFP tend to your bitches here first ;)

D

the man has some projects under way from what ive seen, trying to spread the ebike affliction to his parents. We may as well just sit back and enjoy the holidays. i have very little interest in shipping anything back and forth this time of year. something tells me it would go smoother after the holiday rush.

What i would like to know is what can i send in the box to help him out/compensate him for his effort ? canadian whiskey ? i dont think he likes spirits if i remember correctly . i dont think one of my alternator rotors will really be usefull for his builds . so lets have it man ? what kind of things can we stick in a box liveforphysics ? money ? women ? whats your poison.

I got a box of these little oranges from the orient ? fruit cake ? :wink:

looks like the heavy duty front freewheels are selling well (at sickbikeparts) - as they are out of stock - last time I looked..
Much broaching by many people perhaps :)
Still they are due more in on the 11th Dec.

deecanio said:
Luke,

is the broaching happening now? i pm'ed you and posted for your addy to send some eno's but no reply?

D

lol, sorry about missing PM replies! I always seem to check them when i don't have time to reply, and then once it stops saying "x new PM's", then i totally forget about them. lol I will send both of you guys my address right now. lol

I did 4 freewheels today in the 20-25deg F weather today, and that's all for today, because the damn propane regulator for the generator freezes up every 30mins of running and kills the gen, and i even ducted the exhaust to blow onto the regulator and the bottle all ready! lol

A day above freezing point will be much nicer to work without the damn gen shutting off mid stroke with the broach. lol

:shock: jeez and i was moaning about it being 10c here in blighty!!!
no worries Luke, thank you for the addy, and time, and skills, :mrgreen:
hope you included your pp addy there too :wink:

D

Back