FLYING with electricity

Lithium really is changing the world eh?
Pic here from the *really* early daze of electric flight LOL
ePPG_EarlyDaze.jpg

Seen here:
http://www.ojovolador.com/eng/paramotor/?show=298

"H-E had a flyable prototype of electric paramotor, of 52 kg of thrust for 32 kg of weight and 1 hour autonomy"

"H-E" would be H&E Paramotores:
http://www.he-paramotores.com/index.php

Pic of the prototype:
Candelas_2009.jpg

(OK, just kidding about the pic)
tks
LoC

Bitta news from Yuneec International Ltd.
http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/index.html

Their eplane had it's maiden flights on June 12, seen here:
http://www.airventure.org/news/2009/090617_yuneec.html

...and it looks like their eparamotor is in production now as well. Looks like a sweet motor:
Yuneec_2009.jpg

"‘Power Drive 160’ Motor
Yuneec’s ‘Power Drive 160’ out-runner brushless motor is sensor controlled for optimum performance and reliability. Smooth running, precise speed control, instant response and zero vibration make it the most user friendly power source available. Internal sensors also monitor key areas such as temperature and rpm. "

Motor weighs 3.8kg but don't see any other info about it other than it is direct drive w/no gearing...

Other components look interesting as well:
Yuneec1_2009.jpg

Battery Pack
"‘Plug and Play’ battery pack make E-PAC simple and easy to use.
Aluminium cased for cooling and damage protection, the E-PAC Lithium Polymer pack has internal ‘safety’ protection.
A special electronic circuit board measures the maximum output and maximum temperature and shuts down the pack should either maximum be reached.
The 30Ah pack has 54 individual 10Ah cells which are assembled to give 66.6V.
E-Pac can be fitted with an additional pack to give 60Ah capacity."

"‘Power Block’ Speed Controller
One of the most difficult parts to design of any electric drive system is the speed controller with reliability being the key issue. Yuneec’s ‘Power Block’ controller has been matched with the ‘Power Drive’ motor to give maximum performance and efficiency with total reliability. Internal temperature feedback with software protection, in case of overheating, enhances reliability.
The power block has been flown in testing for the last 9 months without a single failure proving that this controller meets all the demands made of it."

"Hand Controller
E-PAC’s lightweight, easy to hold hand controller uses an RS232 data cable connection to the motor unit. This feature packed controller is left or right handed and gives a smooth and positive, throttle response, ideal for training and precision flying.
The controller LCD data screen shows constantly updated information on Voltage, Amperage, Motor and Controller Temperatures, Rpm, and Running Time. The user can ‘toggle’ between different screen layouts in flight.
The hand controller also features ‘Cruise Control’ and a ‘Vibrating’ Alert system for low battery voltage and peak motor temperature."

"Charger
Charging is the most critical time for any battery pack and Yuneec’s engineers have designed the E-PAC charger with safety as the main priority.
The E-PAC charger monitors all 54 cells in the battery pack at the same time balancing them within .03mv. This charger was specially designed at Yuneec and is the only charger of its type in the world at present. No other commercially available charger can do this and it represents a huge breakthrough for electric power systems.
It is this charger that makes E-PAC battery charging so safe and in turn ensures that each pack is at its maximum capacity for use. It also maintains the batteries in a better state and so ensures the life cycle of the batteries is maximised."

tks
lLok

Flightstar of Connecticut makes sport planes and an ultralight as kits:
http://www.flyflightstar.com/default.htm

From here:
http://eaa.org/news/2009/2009-07-19_espyder.asp

Flightstar e-Spyder Makes First Flight
Fully meets ultralight regulations
View attachment e-Spyder_2009.bmp
View attachment e-Spyder-motor_2009.bmp

July 19, 2009 — Flightstar’s newest ultralight, the e-Spyder, powered by a Yuneec International electric motor, made its first flights over the weekend of July 17 to 19, and company president Tom Peghiny, who flew the ultralight, described the machine’s flight characteristics as “the best of any Flightstar I’ve flown.”

“It feels like Christmas to me,” Peghiny said with obvious enthusiasm for the project. “This little machine flies very well. Without the bulk of a two-stroke engine out front, there’s much less drag.”

Peghiny said the machine meets ultralight regulations. “We did some redesign work on the airframe to reduce weight so we could accommodate the weight of the battery pack, converting some parts to carbon fiber versus older materials, and we meet Part 103. It feels good to be working on an ultralight again,” he added.

The propulsion system includes a 20-kilowatt motor (approximately 27 hp), two 28-pound battery packs with lithium polymer batteries, and a controller. Peghiny described the recharging system as “very sophisticated.” “The Yuneec designers developed a very safe recharging system that balances the batteries via computer monitoring.” He noted that it takes about three hours to recharge the system, plugging it into a 220-volt circuit. Estimated flight time on a fully charged system is approximately 40 minutes.

Flightstar will display the ultralight at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh. “We hope to fly at Oshkosh,” said Peghiny, “and possibly confirm prices at that time.”

e430.jpg

Extra-long wings (25:1 glide ratio) for flights lasting up to two and a half hours between charges. Deliveries expected to start in 2011, with a price of about $89,000. (+44.0.1707.66411)

[youtube]Vxfsz95XHb0[/youtube]

tks
L0c

Attachments

• YuneecTrike.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,042
Thanks for the pics Lock!

Fantastic stuff! I would make an electric ultralight, and I think about it almost daily. It's great to see the designs moving forward and developing into realistic and useful forms.

Also... I think the EV motocycle guys should be jumping on that giant RC brushless motor/controller combo. Yuneec made decent quality low priced RC heli's and planes for a long time. I bet this setup isn't too excessively expensive to be used on motorcycle builds or wild e-bikes. :)

So what kind of power do the Yunee motors make? I'd love to put together a proper sports e motorcyle, maybe based on a Yamaha R6. I think that futuristic shape would be great for an e motorbike.

liveforphysics said:
I bet this setup isn't too excessively expensive to be used on motorcycle builds or wild e-bikes. :)

Don't forget twin pusher props as Florida-style airboat :twisted:
tks
Lock

EDIT: Nevermind. These appear to be the gas versions.

http://www.flyflightstar.com/pages/fspricing.htm

It looks like they come as kits. It seems like the small one is priced around 16k and the larger one is somewhere around 26k.

Anyways, I wonder... how does this compare to the efficiency of ground travel? A 120 mile range with ground travel seems like it'd entail a battery pack a heck of a lot more expensive than $7500 (*retail price). Assuming $.8/wh and $7500, that seems close to 9kWh which at 250 wh/mi. is about 36 miles?

More specs from the Yuneec site:
http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/

For the paramotor:
Motor
Make: Yuneec ‘Power Drive 160’
Type: Direct Drive
Diameter: 160mm
Control: Internal Sensor
Voltage: 66.6V
Output: 10KW
Cooling: Integral motor Fan

Speed Controller
Make:Yuneec ‘Power Block’
Voltage:59 ~ 80V (Max)
Amperage: 250A / @80V (Max)
Audible Alarms: Power On / Start
Start Protection: 5 sec. Slow start (Initial activation)
Battery Protection: 59V Auto Cut

Hand Controller
Functions: Start, Stop, Throttle, Cruise
Display: 128 x 64 Pixel LCD
Connection: RS232 Data Cable (Detachable)
Alarms: Motor temperature, Low battery
Data Information: Voltage, Current, Throttle Position, Time, Motor/Controller Temperatures

Battery Pack
Style: Plug and Play
Type: Lithium Polymer (LiPo)
Voltage: 59 ~ 75V
Pack Info: 1 x 30Ah Pack (54cells/Pk)
Total Amperage: 30Ah (Standard) (60Ah with Additional Pack)
Weight: 12kg per 30Ah pack
Battery Protection: Internal PCB - Max Temp / Max Output

Charger
Make: Yuneec E-Charger
System: Cell Monitoring / Balancing
Data Display: 115 x 65mm LCD
Protection: Charger shut down on fault detection
Input: 230V AC

Flying Time: 25 ~ 30mins (Depending on rpm, weight and wing)

FAQ as well here:
http://yuneeccouk.site.securepod.com/paramotor_faq.html

Battery Protection
Each E-PAC battery pack has an internal circuit board. This measures the voltage and temperature of the pack and should the pack exceed set current output or a temperature in excess of 80C the pack will shut down.

Battery Type - Lithium Polymer
Lithium Polymer (LiPO) currently offers the most commercially affordable, high density, power source available today.
With a power density of 170 (this is 170W per Kilo)...

An internal processor will monitor the charge and output history of the pack to ensure that no abuse has taken place. The pack will also have an internal fuse system so that is case of damage or severe discharge the fuse will blow. This fuse will only be service replaceable.

The E-PAC balancing charger monitors all 54 cells in 3 battery packs all at the same time. This charger was specially designed at Yuneec and it is the only charger of its type in the world at present, capable of handing this number and capacity of cells. During charging it monitors all the cells holding back high charged cells whilst bringing up any lower cells. In the balancing charge cycle each cell is charged within 0.03Mv of each other. No other commercially available charger can do this and it represents a huge breakthrough for battery powered systems.

Charging Times
Following an increase in specification E-PAC now has two charging systems. One is a full balancing charger which operates as described in the charger section above. A full charge with the balancing charger takes approximately 3 hours.

The other is a standard charger. This charger can be used for quick charging and takes approximately 1.5 hours.

Yuneec’s LiPo battery packs require balance charging approximately every 5~10 charges charge’s and so the quick charger is used for normal charging in-between balance charges. Both chargers are required.

Fault Detection
The E-PAC controller and motor are fitted with sensors, these control the motor and regulate the operation but also give feedback and act as alarms. In case of high motor temperature the control handle vibrates allowing the pilot to view the data screen and adjuster the power setting to reduce temperature. If this is not done then the software automatically adjusts the power output to reduce the motor temperature.

Electric, of course:
http://www.thedesignblog.org/entry/renault-zep-lin-explores-a-new-range-of-electric-vehicles/

renault-zeplin_07_kwkWT_22976.jpg

[youtube]5JJ6C0Sp76c[/youtube]

Tks
Lock

WTF. :shock: That thing is badass. I always dream of living on a yacht someday, traveling the world, but I'd much rather do "that" from the air.

Looks cool, but gee: would that actually be practical considering its "frontal area" relative to the wind and its direction of travel and the amount of power it's packing? It looks like it would easily be blown around.

Sweetness eh? Combines two of my fav modes of transport... then goes completely overboard (*shudder*) well, shouldn't say that... getting OT but my fav mode of transport to date (the first part, not the stinky part near the end):
[youtube]YQdH6kLUg8E[/youtube]

...but sailing the boundary layer between water and air gets a bit lumpy sometimes :lol:

Lock

swbluto said:
Looks cool, but gee: would that actually be practical considering its "frontal area" relative to the wind and its direction of travel and the amount of power it's packing? It looks like it would easily be blown around.

Hard for landlubbers to appreciate the pleasures of being blown offshore I guess...
(hehe)
lLoK

I'll chime in since I have a glider and single engine land rating.

Probably the best application for EV in the air would be in a powered glider. Gliders really don't care about weight so much. In fact, some of the hi performance gliders use weights (water) to increase their distance to find the next thermal.

You could fly the glider as a glider and use the propeller when in trouble to get some altitude.

In a practical point-to-point aircraft, good luck. The weight of the batteries vs power to gas just doesn't compare. Maybe someday, we'll see.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16728

Check out HALS pimped motor :) , maybe you can fly with this :) ?

Back