Fredo's New Amped rear geared Specialized FSR !

fredo gauvino

100 mW
Hello all!

Here are some pictures of my first Ebike build !

IMG_7972%20%28Custom%29.JPG

For this project, I bought last autumn a 10 years old Specialized FSR Dual Suspension Mountain bike that was barely ever used for 250$. Its like new !

I then bought and installed an Amped Bikes's rear gear kit.
The installation went very well. I installed a torque arm.

To carry the batteries I installed a Filzer Rear Seatpost Rack PR-3 from MEC.ca, and a rear bag.
I then changed the tires to very large Maxxis Hookworms.
Then, a Planet bike 2W headlight, and some cheap fenders from Canadian Tire.
I installed only one of the cheap brakes provided and used a reed switch for the front brake.
This works so well that I will probably do the same for the rear brake as well, and reinstall my much better original Avid brake lever.

IMG_7943%20%28Large%29.JPG

I found out that the wiring was heating so I upgraded the trailer connector to beefier 12 gage.

IMG_7949%20%28Large%29.JPG

I am very pleased with the results !
Even with heavy batteries, the bike is very stable and safe. With its full suspension, it is very confortable on bumpy roads...

The large tires make the bicycle track like a motorcycle, and enable me to go faster and safely over holes and cracks...

I tried to hide the controller and wires in the bag as much as I can, So most people dont even realized its electric, until I go pass them...

IMG_7975%20%28Custom%29.JPG

I did not have big problem so far, except for the cheap batteries SLA that I have been given.

My plan is to use the bike to commute to work.

It's a 20 km (12 miles) ride, so I figured out that 3 12V 7Ah GEL SLA Batteries from would do the trick. with a recharge at the office.. with those batteries, max speed is around (30-32 km/h) 20 mph, as advertised.

It works, but barely ! I do pedal like a madman all trip long, but even then once I get to office, they barely have enough juice left to move the bike at all. I tried to go slower, and this way it is much easier on the batteries. but I can't help it, I have to go fast :)

Even with bad batteries, and cold weather, I went from a 50 minutes commute to 35-37 minutes which is an amazing improvement !!! :)
Even better when I get at work I dont even have to take a shower !
Another 15 minutes saved here.

And its a very beautiful bicycle trail all way round.
I love it ! :)

Anyway, the ugly and heavy SLA pack will be gone soon.
I bought 4 large Zippy 22V 5Ah Lipo Batteries from Hobbycity, that should give me 44 Volts 10 Ah.
Yes I know, Lipo are not safe and can burn and explode and blablabla, but so can the gaz in your BBQ. ;)
They weight 6 lbs.
This saves me 14 lbs !!!

With this battery pack the bike weight a very reasonable 52 lbs, and flies to 40-43 km/h( 26 mph ).

I hope to be able to do the round trip without having to recharge. I am currently setting up a charging station that I will be able to use outside my house, just in case that the charger goes berserk.

IMG_7965%20%28Large%29.JPG

For the next few rainy days,
My next modifications will be :

- Lipo battery pack installation.( in foam to protect it. )
- Installation of a 7 speed freewheel with 11T from Ebikes.ca (So I can keep pedeling )
- Installation of a top mount shifter to replace the Shimano LX that interfere with the thumb throttle.

Can't wait to ride it again !

fredo that is a nice bike I love it.
Those batteries must be SOOOO light compared to the lead acid huh?

Maybe you should top off those batteries at work, 24 miles round trip is asking alot isnt it?
Anyway I hope you have fun! I bet in a few months you will be using 3 series ( those are 5 series no? ) to get 60 volts
and more MPH on the commute.

Thanks !!!

Yes, the battery pack is so light that I dont feel the weight at all !

Well, according to my calculations, I "should" have enough juice for 24 miles with 44V 10Ah battery pack. :roll:
But I did not take into consideration that would be at WOT all the time... :roll:

So you might be right, it will be hard to accomplish. :oops:

Using my 36V 7Ah pack that is in reality a 4Ah, I could almost do it. But the speed was lower, and I pedaled a lot. So I figured out that 10 Ah would be enough.

Well, I have a Watt Meter and will keep my charger with me, and keep you informed if I can do it or not ! :D

For 60 Volts, Ish ! :?
Its already scary fast at 48 Volts for the type of roads that I am going on, I am not sure if at 60 Volts it will be safe...
I am also not sure that my Amped Bike controller is designed to handle that type of voltage... :|
:)

NICE!! I ordered 8 of Turnigy (6s x 4 = 72v norminal and going have 24s2p 72v 10Ah). Welcome to SPEED DEMON just like Methods and Doc :twisted:

*edit* You can just upgrade bigger controller that handle high volt and higher amphere to replace your cute baby controller 22 amp.

PS. oh, If you have excellent judgment controlling the speed then you will be fine. I mean If you don't open full WOT at full speed. Why do you worry about high speed?

Yes, well as long as you have your watt meter you should be able to manage it, that is 18 watts per mile.
My real world figures show I can do that on my bike when riding on the bike paths ( as I ride slower than on the roads).
It is Great to ride in in the good weather on the bike path, no worries, no angry drivers I am happy for you.

I was just worried that you would suck your pack dry and not know it, the watt meter is good but even better would be to check the individual cell voltages with a battery medic or other monitor that hooks up to the balance taps.

As far as 60 V goes, Ya do not try it until you have a back up controller. Maybe you are not tempted at all , but the speed is addictive. I don't know about the Amped controller, But my Ebike kit one , ecrazyman one and C lyte can handle 60 Volts, It use to worry me that MY Ping battery came off the charger at 60 volts but it goes down to 50's quickly.

have fun out there.

I just finished installing a new 7 gears FreeWheel with a 11T gear on it. from Ebikes.ca :D
The installation went reasonably :cool: well. I bought a freewheel extractor as well, it really helped.
The pins of the Hall sensor have to be removed to make room for the nuts spacers and freewheel removal and installation. :(
I took a lot of time, it took me about 2~3 hours :oops:

The available gears are now : :geek:

Speed Before After Difference
1 - 28 - 32 : -14 %
2 - 24 - 24 : 0 %
3 - 21 - 21 : 0 %
4 - 18 - 18 : 0 %
5 - 16 - 15 : +6 %
6 - 14 - 13 : +7 %
7 - 14 - 11 : +21 % !!!

I first expected to have only one faster gear, but I got two !!! :shock:
I now have a 13T and 11T that enable me to go faster while pedaling.

I made a quick midnight run, and it really makes a huge difference at speed. 21% percent rpm diminution ! :D

I wonder why this does not come standard on Amped Bikes kits ! Must be the added width... :D

Now if only it could stop raining !!!

Fred

ianmcnally2 said:
Maybe you should top off those batteries at work, 24 miles round trip is asking alot isnt it?
Anyway I hope you have fun! I bet in a few months you will be using 3 series ( those are 5 series no? ) to get 60 volts
and more MPH on the commute.

Well, Ive made a couple of round trips, and you were right !!!

When using the motor at WOT all the time, It takes between 4.5 and 6.5 Amps-Hour.
So 10 Amp-Hours is not enough for a round trip.
I have two choices.
a)Recharge at the office ( in a safe place )
b)Go Slower.

I am ordering a new charger tonight. :)

Hi Fredo, good to hear you're having some fun.

fredo gauvino said:
When using the motor at WOT all the time, It takes between 4.5 and 6.5 Amps-Hour.
So 10 Amp-Hours is not enough for a round trip.
I have two choices.
a)Recharge at the office ( in a safe place )
b)Go Slower.

I am ordering a new charger tonight. :)

or
c)Order another 2 batteries to make 15Ah

chroot said:
NICE!! I ordered 8 of Turnigy (6s x 4 = 72v norminal and going have 24s2p 72v 10Ah).

Chroot that's 88.8V nominal, and around 100V hot off the charger

yopappamon said:
Hi Fredo,

I'm very interested in your project since I've just ordered the same amped kit.

What voltage are you running now? The kit is rated at 36v, yes?

Hello yopapamon !

The kit is rated 36Volts, but I everybody says that the basic kit supports 48 Volts.

I first tried 3 x 12V SLA, this is heavy and not very exciting. Top speed was 20-22mph
Then I added another 12Volt battery, it was 48 Volts it was much faster, but also very heavy. Top Speed was about 25-27 mph.
With Stock gearing I could not keep pedeling. You need to upgrade to a 11 tooth if you want to go faster and pedal.
Now I am using 4 x Lipo 22.2 Volts 5 Ah.
It gives me 44 Volts and 10 Ah.
When freshly off the charger, they are 50 Volts and it goes at 26-28 mph...
On the end of my run, top speed is about 22-23 mph...

I think that I will order two other Zippy Lipo Batteries :) Soo

Nice bike, well done! You might want to keep an eye on the hinge pins on the rack. Mine bent in a similar application and I had to replace them with grade 8 steel bolts and nylock nuts. I have had no more trouble with mine. I only wish i had replaced them before they bent since it would have made the job a lot easier. Others have had problems with bending the seatpost and have put a fitted wooden dowel in the seatpost with epoxy to reinforce it. Finding a strong and secure rack is always a challenge with rear suspension bikes but worth it in my opinion.

I doubt he'll have too much trouble with the rack using the lipo, but strenthening the post is definitely something to do.

Really nice! The geared rear hub makes the conversion so elegant and stealth. Starting with a good bike is really worth it if you have the bike, or the funds for one. And that is a pretty nice bike!

I just bought a very similar specialized FSR, mine's a 2005. It had a blown rear shock, and I found that that length shock was very hard to find. If your's is showing any wear at all, you might want to snap one up before the last of em are gone. A rockshocks that fit was only about $100 from Chain Reaction Cycles in England. The exchange rate this spring is favorable to the US right now so shipping was no big deal. The upgrade to air adjustable shock is worth it too.

Now when I ride my FSR, pedaling it, I just cream all over it because the suspension is so good. Luckily, mine came with a hugely upgraded marzocchi bomber fork. For now, the bike is just too good to electrify. I'm pretty happy though, with my Giant OS 3 electrified.

I have been thinking about building an identical lipo pack to the one your using. Could you provide a little more information on how you charge them and which charger your using. Basically any helpull hints from one beginer to another :D

maydaverave said:
I have been thinking about building an identical lipo pack to the one your using. Could you provide a little more information on how you charge them and which charger your using. Basically any helpull hints from one beginer to another :D

Beginner ? :roll: What do you mean ! I have been building Ebikes since, oh well. last 3 weeks or so... 8)

Ok, the 4 LiPo batteries are connected this way :

Batterie%202S2P%20diagram.JPG

Each 2 packs are connected in parralel at the CELL level, and those two packs are connected in series...
To connect cells at the cell level, you have to make yourself a special Y cable with 6S balance connectors.
The idea is to connect every cell together, so that they become a larger one.
Before connecting the cells together, of course you have to make sure that they are charged exactly at the same level for every cell. ( +/- 0.01 Volts )
This prevent current from flowing from a battery to another.
You also have to solder the + and - power cables together.
Once that the Y cable is connected, two 22V 5Ah cells become a larger LiPo battery that is now 22V 10Ah.
Some people have indicated me that this was not safe to do this but I did it anyway, it works, so screw them. I see no reason that this should not work on identical batteries. 8)
You now have to connect those two larger batteries in series. which gives 44 Volts 10Ah.
For every connection, I have used the same type of gold plated RC connectors that were put on the original batteries.
They are very good, safe, light, do not overheat, and are easy to put/remove.

AM1009x10.jpg

Finally, all this is paranoiacly wrapped in foam.
When riding I also use a two 6S battery monitors that beeps if the voltage becomes too low.

To charge the pack, I have to disconnect and charge each of the two 10Ah battery separately.
I bought a Turnigy Accucel-6 charger for 60$ ( now backorder ), and it is very easy to use.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7523

It takes roughly an hour and a half to charge a pack, so 3 hours and you are ready to go.

It works well, but it is rather complicated. I am still thinking of a way to make a quicker setup to hook the charger more quickly.
quick quick quick. always quicker.

Any ideas are welcome !!!

Happy Easter !

This is why I think don't need to go 60 Volts !
My ride to work is done 75% on this type of winding bicycle roads ! :)
Certainly not as impressive as Ebiking in Costa Rica, but cool too :)

[youtube]h80W6kTm2n8[/youtube]

Compare to that :

traffic-jam.jpg

The choice is easy ! :lol:

I will order soon some other Lipo to increase my range first...

:)

Nice project Fredo! Those local bike paths look like bike utopia. Where are you?

ebent

Oh, Your right, Duh me and at least the Crystalyte or Lyen controller's capacitors rated 110v.

I am going set 4.15v each cell and it should get me to 99.6v without hurt LiPo's health.

Gregory said:
Hi Fredo, good to hear you're having some fun.

chroot said:
NICE!! I ordered 8 of Turnigy (6s x 4 = 72v norminal and going have 24s2p 72v 10Ah).

Chroot that's 88.8V nominal, and around 100V hot off the charger

ebent said:
Nice project Fredo! Those local bike paths look like bike utopia. Where are you?
ebent
Thanks !
This bike path is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, near boulevard Gouin.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...056,-73.692566&spn=0.002803,0.006899&t=h&z=17

It follow the river for most of the time. :p No cars, Nobody, its a well kept secret :mrgreen:
During weekends, this is another story, there is a lot more people on the road ! Its nearly impossible and dangerous to go fast, because of all the granny and kids wandering around.

Back