gas price thread

what id like to know is how much of that cost is tax because if gas was 10 dollars a gallon here like it is in oslo norway(the birthplace of black metal :lol: )i would sell my ice tomarrow and buld a electric car thats like insain and even 7 or 8 is just way too much for just one gallon of gas i truly feel for you from those european contries

i would like to clarify what i said earlyer i very much would like to build a electric car and motorcycle someday but if gas went to 7 bucks a gallon or more tomarrow i would honestly consider actully selling my vehicles and building a ev and i bet a lot of other people who never thought about it before would too
you know like normal people not us freaks that cant be counted

truckerzero said:
you know like normal people not us freaks that cant be counted
That's cold.

Actually, there would probably be a fairly big market for EVs. Maybe someone who was willing to take a risk could capitalise on that.

not ment to be cold its a inside joke based on somthin link said "I'm a freak so dont count me as normal" :lol: :lol: :lol:
that quote sounds just like something id say about myself

but seriously with a 100 mile range i think there would be a sizable market
at this point i think the direction gm is going with the volt(40 mile range with a backup genarater to extend that to unlimited)is the way the market will go
but i dont trust gm as far as i could throw them cause they kill every thing electric they touch

Anybody who wants to get a firsthand experience of public response to electric cars can come and drive mine...

You won't get a quarter-mile before people honk, wave, take your picture, ask to buy it, scream "right-on!", etc.

Most of the facial-expressions are so incredulous... :lol:

I got chased-down by a news truck on my way to dinner last night... they'll have to wait. :twisted:

Ben said:
I was speaking with someone from Exxon Mobil and apparently it costs them something like $12 to get a barrel of oil out of the ground. Not sure how much transportation and all that stuff is, but I bet it comes in a long way short of the $125+ a barrel they're flogging it for at them moment.

People just don't get it. Every time I see a hillbilly in an SUV complaining about the cost of gas and oil companies, I want to smack them in the back of the head because HE is the problem, not the oil companies. It makes as much sense to complain about prices on ebay as it does prices for oil. Prices for both are determined by bidders at an open auction, I can't think of better way to determine "fair market value"

It seems many people unfamiliar with the word "FUNGIBLE" think an oil company pumps it out of the ground, ships it to their own refineries, and sell it from their own gas stations, and set the price for what they think the market will bear. This is not the case, the gasoline at Chevron might be made from oil pumped by Shell. There are actually two completely separate functions:
one that explores and pulls oil out of the ground and auctions it to ANY buyer.
and another that buys it from ANY oil producer, refines it, and sells it retail.

Oil companies make deals with landowners and governments; the companies search for the oil, drill it, pump it, and ship it, and in return they get a percentage of the profit. The landowner puts up the resource, and the oil company takes all the financial risks. This oil is put up for "auction" on the global market, and prices are set by COMPETITIVE DEMAND.

Whatever that price turns out to be, the oil company gets its percentage - and this is where the oil companies are making their "windfall" profit today. They aren't putting a gun to anyones head and saying "buy a barrel at this price" - buyers, desparate for a limited supply of oil, are driving the price up to that point. The refineries in the US are some of those buyers, bidding competitevely - by the time they get the oil the price is already jacked up.

Our demand for cheap products has allowed walmart to export most of our manufacturing infrastructure to China, and the blue-collar jobs that go with it. Corporate demand for a cheap labor has allowed us to export a whole bunch of middle-class jobs to third world countries. As jobs flows into these countries, they need to build infrastructure - China has the concrete market just as tied up as the oil market. Also, the new jobs make new consumers, increasing demand for products. Even worse, as we have seen in China, cars are seen as a status symbol, and are already replacing bicycles on the road.

I saw a great stat the other day - even though the US is flooded with cars, only 10% of the people in the world own a car. What do you think will happen to demand/cost of gasoline when that number jumps to 20%? 30%? 40%? Are we still gonna be bitching about the oil companies, or are we going to recognize that we are doing it to ourselves, worldwide demand has changed, and find alternatives?

I'd have to say the rising prices are working. I have been hearing people at work comment that they are seeing less cars on the freeways. My wife said she thinks people are driving slower. Demand in the US is allegedly decreasing as we are driven to conserve. Europe was smart; with taxes making gasoline more expensive, folks have already recognized that oil is a precious commodity. I wish gasoline was taxed up to $10/gallon here, so that it will be less of shock when it gets to that price in a year or so.

-JD

Well said.

I would only add that oil is the most addictive substance known:

For the users: absolute dependence.
For the controllers: absolute power.

You could never keep an entire planet hooked on heroine or crack.

:evil:

To the previous 2 posts: Roger that! Maybe we can get control of our oil useage before its too late. Or maybe we are too stupid! We will know in my lifetime! I'm 63!
otherDoc

if you think about it electricity is the perfect fuel source because no matter were energy comes from weather it be gas, karseen, wind, water, sun, hydrogen ,propane ,natural gas, coal ,methanol ,ethanol,plant oils whatever it ALL can be turned in to electricity but not so easy the other way around
what do you think

truckerzero said:
if you think about it electricity is the perfect fuel source because no matter were energy comes from weather it be gas, karseen, wind, water, sun, hydrogen ,propane ,natural gas, coal ,methanol ,ethanol,plant oils whatever it ALL can be turned in to electricity but not so easy the other way around what do you think

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. Electricity _is_ energy, everything else you mention are raw materials energy can be made from. However, I agree that electricity is much easier to store than many other energy mediums, such as light, heat, explosions (ICE) etc.

Despite that, using electricity, I easily can make:
Wind, (fan)
Water, (make hydrogen and burn it to combine into water)
light, (lightbulb)
hydrogen, (electrolosys)
methanol, (lightbulb on plants)
ethanol, (lightbulb on plants)
plant oil (lightbulb on plants)

A chem E could probably even use electricity to assemble carbon chains into gasoline, karseen (kerosene?), propane, natural gas.

TylerDurden said:
Well said.
I would only add that oil is the most addictive substance known:
For the users: absolute dependence.
For the controllers: absolute power.
You could never keep an entire planet hooked on heroine or crack.
:evil:

Thanks TD!

I would take your comment one step further - ENERGY itself is the most addictive substance known. Energy makes our lives easier, washing our dishes, powering our 'puters, getting us to work, heating our homes. Without it, we would revert to the middle ages. Energy is our path to progress, and our path to destruction.

If we produced it all from Solar/wind, that wouldn't be a big deal. However, humans are lazy - it is much easier to use energy-dense carbons like oil/coal than extract it from low-yield sources like solar/wind. In the beginning that might not have been a big deal - there was lots of the stuff laying about, a small amount of pollution from a small amount of humans could be easily dissapated into mother nature - who thought insignificant humanity could actually damage mother earth? In the industrial age, populations exploded because of the food and infrastructure this new energy provided; today all those extra people are dependant on that energy to survive.

Now that we may be running out of the stuff and poisoning ourselves, and we need to curb our addiction to energy, or find renewable/safe replacements. The good news is that Oil reaching $139.01/barrel means that the carbon-neutral alternatives become more cost effective to develop. Even if supplanted the entire carbon chain, I think we still need to curb our consumption of energy in all of its forms, and redefine our needs - asking themselves questions like "do I really need a Ford Exploder(explorer)/Extrusion(excursion)/Exponential(Expedition) to commute to work alone?"

Hmm... Wouldn't it be funny if we built a huge turbine infrastructure in the US, only to find out in 3008 that they drained most of the planet's wind energy and caused "Global Calming"? Or put up so many Solar Panels blocking light to the soil and causing "Global Cooling" or a dust bowl? It may seem wacky, but if you told someone in 1910 that cars would cause global warming, they'd think it was silly too.

I'm trying to do my part - reduce consumption, combine trips, commute via ebike - but when I look at the things I use - a controller shipped from China, for example, or big plastic-bottled beverages - I find layer after layer of energy-wasteful practices. It is gonna be a long road.

-JD

ENERGY itself is the most addictive substance known

LOL, this is so true, addictive? maybe, essential? ABSOLUTELY... energy is presented in every cell in our body and stored as a chemical called compound called ATP. Without it we die in seconds. ATP is the ... "electricity" or energy transfer medium required for every cell to live. So while we sit quibbling about whether using energy is right or wrong, we sit oblivious to fact that without it life ceases. Get over it. That's just the way life works. We need energy. Whoever controls it.... controls you. So GET SOME! Or figure out a better way too.

Holy crap!

They just raised the price of regular at my closest gas station to $4.50/gal. Keeps going up...
I guess buying that hybrid wasn't such a bad idea.

i may not own a hybrid but my motorcycle gets 55 mph and the ford exploder is parked except when it rains
p.s. i have a ford explorer for sale :lol:
as soon as some other idiot buys it im getting a smaller car for those days
a ebike or motorcycle are lets say less fun to drive

I parked my car about 45 days ago. It is a nice convertible sports car, which is awesome for California. It gets about 25MPG with top down, which is reasonable. Zero to ticket in about 3 seconds, as I found out not too long ago. It drinks premium fuel only.

When I saw gas prices transcend the $4.0/gal barrier for premium, that was the breaking point for me. I sat down and started thinking if I really need my car. I realized that when I visit my clients in San Francisco, I already take BART http://bart.gov. The one time I didn't, I wound up paying $391.50 for the privilege of parking in downtown San Francisco. So that piece of the puzzle is taken care of. Next, I focused on where the rest of my customers and other activities are. I realized that I can reach all of them by public transit in a reasonable amount of time. In fact, it turned out that my one regular activity far away from home, which is running my Toastmasters speech club http://articculators.org actually had a direct bus that was perfectly timed and the commute to it was faster than if I were to drive. I have only one customer that is relatively inconvenient to reach, but can be done within 2 hours. The fact that they pay their bills with significant delays lowers their priority significantly. :)

I wasn't satisfied with that. I sat down and created a new business model. Now customers come to me instead of me going to them. That is a lot more efficient from my perspective. In fact, that increased business profitability to the point where I can actually ignore gas prices. In one emergency situation I paid $20 for a cab ride.

I then bought a foldable bike. It was relatively inexpensive, was allowed to be taken on-board buses, and overall was a good bike. Problem! I live on a hill. The bike was a full-sized Fuji mountain bike 26" but didn't fit me quite right nor was it too convenient to take on a bus. The pedals were too flimsy and the shifting was less than ideal. I considered selling it and it got stolen pretty quickly. :)

I started looking into smaller-wheeled folding bikes and they all have various tradeoffs.

I then realized I wanted an e-bike and started doing some research. As I am an impatient bastard who hates waiting for things to be shipped, I found a seller on eBay who's selling a neat e-bike at a reasonable cost here in San Jose. I am picking it up later today. It probably won't be ideal, but it's a good starting point with 36v SLAs. I also picked up a tiny lock (Kryptonite NY 3' chain... hehe...steal THAT).

I figure once I get tired of 16mph/25mi claimed range I'll make myself something more fun with the help of information in this forum. I am keeping the car, but now it's mostly for non-commute purposes.

Gas prices are continuously trending up with no relief in sight. We'll know we reached a turning point when it would become possible to bike across all the other bridges in addition to Dumbarton bridge.

Right now, my lowest price is $4.69/gal for premium. The high price of crude indicates that the price of gasoline is yet to catch up to it. I just smile as I pass the one armed bandits...

In the meantime, I am dusting off my Weller station... ;)

Thank you for the highly useful information.

wiseleo, that's cool that you are getting an ebike. Post up some info on it and post up some pics when you get it.

San Diego drivers appreciate Mexico's cheap gas
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080615/ap_on_re_us/mexican_gas

SAN DIEGO - If there's pain at the pump in the U.S., Mexico may just have a remedy. A gallon of regular unleaded gasoline in San Diego retails for an average price of $4.61 a gallon. A few miles south, in Tijuana, it's about $2.54 — even less if you pay in pesos.

More and more people appear to be taking advantage of the lower price.

"I used to buy exclusively in the U.S. before gas started really going up," said Patrick Garcia, a drama teacher at an elementary school in San Diego who lives in Tijuana. "Since then, I've been buying all my gas in Tijuana."

The lower prices mean a U.S. motorist could save almost $54 filling up a two-year-old Ford F150 pickup with a 26-gallon fuel tank in Mexico.

The differential in diesel is even greater, selling at $5.04 a gallon in San Diego County and $2.20 in Tijuana.

Paul Covarrubias, 26, who lives in Chula Vista and works in construction in San Diego, crosses the border each week just to refuel his dual-cab Ford F-250 pickup.

"I fill it up with diesel in Tijuana for $60," he said. "It would be almost twice that in San Diego."

Gas is cheaper in Mexico because of a government subsidy intended to keep inflationary forces in check.

Still, international gas-buying trips don't make sense for everyone. The wait getting back into the U.S. at the border in Tijuana frequently takes longer than two hours and cars can burn about a gallon of gas for each hour they idle.

And fortunately for San Diego residents, there is a lot less lead flying around there than in Juarez. El Pasoans have been buying thier gas south for decades, for a few pennies savings. Used to be food was so cheap on the other side, it paid for the extra mileage, and time, from as far away as 70 miles, and gassing up there was a bonus. People who have to cross still fill up of course, but there is a sudden new spike in home sales in El Paso, from people who could live on either side moving back to the US. They claim it's not a drug war, but i suspect it's some kind of mob war since all the bodies turning up are cops. One of the most recent shootouts was broad daylight on the tourist strip. Scary. Makes you think twice about even driving the highway along the river.

One thing to remember, the price of gas (oil) is not the fault of the oil companies or the Arabs. Oil is a publically traded comodity. The comodities traders are the ones driving the price of oil up. When a comodity climbs, more traders buy it, which makes it climb, which makes trades buy it and so on. The same thing happened with silver in the 70s when the Hunt brothers were trying to corner the market. Prices went sky high. But, the price eventually went down. Actually, the stock exchange controllers forced it down (long story) because it threatened to topple our economy.

As with silver, the price of oil WILL go down. The question is, when will that happen, how far will it drop, and how high will it go before it falls.

Matt

Jay64 said:
wiseleo, that's cool that you are getting an ebike. Post up some info on it and post up some pics when you get it.
Jay, will do in a more appropriate thread. I like my new e-bike enough to start a company, so I am going through what's available on the market and figuring out what would be ideal for my target market. :)

recumpence said:
As with silver, the price of oil WILL go down. The question is, when will that happen, how far will it drop, and how high will it go before it falls.

Matt

Sorry, Matt, I think you are wrong about that. Silver is not "burnt"/consumed, gas/petrol is. That's the difference. Peak oil means that supply is exceeded by demand. The price will go down if there is a recession, but only to the extent that there is a recession. Once demand picks up, the price will go up. So, good times = higher and higher fuel prices. Unless, we force down demand by vastly expanding ebike usage to the point where demand falls! :mrgreen: Then good times will lead to lower fuel prices (conservation?).

Or we could just go to war with one of the major oil producing countries and dictate how much the oil price.....oh wait, never mind. :(

paultrafalgar said:
recumpence said:

Matt

Sorry, Matt, I think you are wrong about that. Silver is not "burnt"/consumed, gas/petrol is. That's the difference. Peak oil means that supply is exceeded by demand. The price will go down if there is a recession, but only to the extent that there is a recession. Once demand picks up, the price will go up. So, good times = higher and higher fuel prices. Unless, we force down demand by vastly expanding ebike usage to the point where demand falls! :mrgreen: Then good times will lead to lower fuel prices (conservation?).

Burning it has nothing to do with it. Look at the trading trends for oil. It is being bought faster than it is being produced. That is NOT because the demand is too high, it is because comodities traders are buying, buying, buying.

My uncle is a geologist. His job is to look for oil stores. We ahve spoken about this at length. There is NO oil shortage. We know of more oil now than we ever have. Also, refining is not a problem.

A good friend of mine is a founding partner of CRT (Chicago Research Trading). That is the largest futures/comodities trading firm in the country. I know much of this, in part, because they make alot of their money from oil. Their perspective is that oil will drop, and drop HARD. It is just a matter of time.

It seems like everyone is bashing our government, the Arabs, and the oil companies for this price issue. Again, watch the stock trading. The price is going up because too much oil is being bought by speculators.

Matt

Back