Luna 52v Wolf Batterty / Hobby king turnigy review.

Final report here.

The lipo packs still running so so, but sagging a lot and the usual second summer use puffing. This spring I stopped riding with them at all, and put them on duty with my 6s powered lawn mower. So they still run strong enough in 20 ah configuation. 4 six s packs all paralelled. Should run my mower till they are in summer number 4. Besides, I got that great Luna Wolf pack for the bike.

Or do I,,, I honestly did not ride much this summer, but did get the e bike out on the trails at least monthly. Never just let that battery sit un charged. Kept it topped up all winter so it would not unbalance it self enough to die.

But last spring, I noticed it lost some capacity, about 15% or so. Kinda normal I thought, for a one year old battery to drop capacity some. Then typically, they sort of tend to sit at 80% capacity for quite some time, 4 years or so.

About a week ago, it cooled off enough here to begin the real riding season here, the great fall weather with nice temps in the morning, and a lot less wind than spring. The battery stranded me out on the trail, shutting off after 2.5 ah discharged. Whoa, its that unbalanced? No its not, it croaked. Once cell group wont hold a charge apparently. Can't check em, its all potted up. But charge it to 58v, and it drops to 54 as soon as you unplug. Reeks of a dead cell killed its group to me.

Tried hard to revive it, put it on slow charge to force it to balance. No luck so far. I will try some more to balance it, but I think its a gonner at this point. It really seems like one cell group has a shorted cell.

But I want to stress a few things here. I DID ride this thing hard. Not all that many cycles really, but I ran it most of them on a 2000w, 40 amps controller. I wanted to hammer it, and see what happened. It DID perform outstanding the first year.

But sometimes, you just get unlucky. One of the many cells in that pack did not like that discharge rate, and likely it died early. It happens. It shouldn't happen often, and I would not fault Luna for this in any way.

Its STILL the best e bike battery I ever owned, while it lasted. If you hammer your battery hard, its not too uncommon to need a new one in a year. This one lasted about 18 months, two summers. Lipo ages out in two years, use it or not, as we know. It may still work, but not like new. all puffed.

Still would get another Luna battery. But to be honest, I recovered enough from my illness to start enjoying no assist bikes again.

Back