gas price thread

Kansas has low fuel taxes compared to the nearby states. In the winter, refineries take turns doing a month-long "cleanout", across several months in the low demand winter months. So...right now we are in the
"refineries not shut down yet to cut back on demand" and "Demand due to warm weather travel has dropped off", and I imagine that has applied downward pressure.

$1.89/gal at the state 77 where it crosses the Interstate 70.

The storage tanks must be getting near the brim by now. If the oil supply doesn't falter the price will tank down even further when the oil can no longer be stockpiled by the U.S.

It's at its highest level since records began. I think the hope that storage could act as a buffer until the prices recovered looks to have been misplaced.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=24072

$1.69 right now in my neighborhood in Austin. Maybe that's why butthole trucks are so popular around here.

Russian are going to try and bury Saudi Arabia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12046185/russia-opec-saudi-arabia-bluff-40-oil-price.html

Found a gas pice war between 3 stations in Clear Lake, IA. It was $1.62/gal. a week ago, and $1.55 last night. This is on top of Iowa's 10 cent gas tax hike this year. One station hiked its price back to the normal $1.95 this morning.

$1.55 would about match the adjusted-for-inflation cheapest gas from the 90's when it was $1/gal. I heard a radio report that vehicle sales are up right now, but hybrid sales are down. Might be a good time to snag a deal.

$1.69 today in my neighborhood in East Austin.

I remember that short period of eerily cheap gas prices in the late '90s. I saw $0.799 at local gas stations. I was getting around by motorcycle then, so it hardly mattered to me, but it still stuck in my mind.

Blast from the past (2008) in this thread :wink: .

Subject: gas price thread
Mark_A_W said:
We pay 1.6x times that.

The English even more, and the French pay about 2.6x what you pay.

If you bitch and moan about the US petrol prices I will come over and slap you in the back of the head!

You do understand why it's going up don't you? It's not going down again (well, little ups and downs) EVER, and it will go through the roof over the next few years/decade.

Back