Gazelle Chamonix conversion

Vbruun said:
Get a hydraulic caliper. They work much better!

They oil your pads automatically! Yay!

Just get a deore. It costs 50 dollars and works well. Don't listen to the old grumpy man.

It is the future. Maybe hydraulic brakes were bad once. Now theyre great!

Chalo said:
Ah, you're learning that disc brakes are not the same as good brakes. Well, now you know.
Sintered metal pads are an upgrade (until they too get contaminated). Or you can fit a dual pivot caliper brake with good pads, if your rim has brake tracks.

I knew they weren't the best kind of brakes (much prefer rim shoes myself) but in going for a rear 1000 W hub, I had no option but to go for a disc brake. The alternative was no brake (not an option) or a new frame (not an option). The frame doesn't even have a point for classic calliper brakes.

jonescg said:
The frame doesn't even have a point for classic calliper brakes.

No fender mounting holes or anything?

Chalo said:
jonescg said:
The frame doesn't even have a point for classic calliper brakes.

No fender mounting holes or anything?

gazelle frame.jpg
Closest I can get is the rear wheel lock, but that's a featre we'd like to retain (along with the mudguards).
Front forks have an option but the brakes ther are OK for now.

Chalo said:
Vbruun said:

Dude, 99.9% of motorized vehicles use hydraulic brakes, and most of them are disc. You know this. I'd rather replace a rotor over time than a wheel rim. Stop yelling at clouds please.

thundercamel said:
Chalo said:
Vbruun said:

Dude, 99.9% of motorized vehicles use hydraulic brakes, and most of them are disc. You know this. I'd rather replace a rotor over time than a wheel rim. Stop yelling at clouds please.

I work at two different bike shops. I see a lot of hydraulic brakes, and most of them are contaminated by the time I have a look at them. You can say this isn't a problem, but it's a problem I deal with all the time.

When bicycles start getting hydraulic brakes as reliable as those on DOT vehicles, I'll know. I don't believe they will, though, because the hydraulics are there for fetishistic rather then utilitarian purposes.

Chalo said:
When bicycles start getting hydraulic brakes as reliable as those on DOT vehicles, I'll know. I don't believe they will, though, because the hydraulics are there for fetishistic rather then utilitarian purposes.

FYI:
The NineBot (formally Segway) CM-80 E-bike has a DOT rated front hydraulic disk brake.
I believe the ONYX RCR front disk brake is also DOT rated.
Take a look at the rotors as well. Those are NOT stamped out sheet metal.

Both of these bikes stretch the definition of an E-Bike and interesting enough, neither has the same quality rear brake.

Those may be statutory "electric bicycles", but they're not bicycles. Their brakes may be okay, or they may be crap, but that doesn't make them bicycles.

Chalo said:
Those may be statutory "electric bicycles", but they're not bicycles. Their brakes may be okay, or they may be crap, but that doesn't make them bicycles.
Fair point: in fact I believe according to Texas statues the ONYX RCR would actually be a "motor cycle".
... but at least it is a start.

Ref:
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.541.htm
TRANSPORTATION CODE, TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC, SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD, CHAPTER 541. DEFINITIONS

Ghetto, but fully functional.
I have a small strap which stops it from jumping out, but it would take a big bump to dislodge it.
Battery holder.jpg

Quick update on this ebike - it hammers up the hill really well. The last 7 km of the ride gains 240 m in elevation, with the steepest part being a 10% grade for roughly 1 km. I did drop down a few gears on the derailleur but left the throttle wide open. No sweat - not even warm by the top of the hill.

Brakes are fine too, I just tend to reach for them pre-emptively if I think I might need them.

Overall, a solid bike :bigthumb:

jonescg said:
Brakes are fine too, I just tend to reach for them pre-emptively if I think I might need them.
Welcome to the club. EVERY time I ride (almost every day) I see AT LEAST one driver blasting thru a red light (theirs). So I too, have learned to preemptively prepare to brake when approaching intersections.

Back