GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

I'm scared of loosing my bike to cops riding like this :S

Not to say I don't twist the throttle every once in a while thou :p

binlagin said:
I'm scared of loosing my bike to cops riding like this :S

Not to say I don't twist the throttle every once in a while thou :p

Got be kidding binlagin... I can push it alot harder, play with small motorcycles and go away without even being noticed if I dont keep pushing over 40mph all the time in a clean lane.... in the traffic jam I dont go faster than that between lanes for safety but Im sure I could ride even faster without being noticed.
But I live in a big city and laws are done aiming the mass and I hardly see any ebike. I usually respect the top speed alowed and slow down to cross a red light and thats it.

Cool!

@1:02 there's a growling noise and something comes out from underneath to grab the wheel.. Turnes out to be some grass :roll:

Nice zombie at the very end. Or don't they bury corpses anymore :?

This started playing in my head when you were cruising the graves....:)
[youtube]z68V77LzcOQ[/youtube]

/newave crap

I'm getting old too..

The scars from what my friend described as a 'spectacular crash' have not had enough time to heal - today hit a tree at speed on my mountain bike (not electric :roll: ), ricocheted towards the river ad hit the 2nd tree in full flight with my back, same spot as 2 weeks ago :twisted: Was hanging off the edge over the water with the bike hanging off the top of the shoe. The rear wheel just touched the water.

Sunnies came off from the first hit on the clavicle. I got up, brushed off and kept riding (a little slower) still took every jump :lol: Two hours later started to have difficulties breathing so went to the emergency department and had an X-ray suspecting a cracked rib. No bad news so far.

No video, but pictures to follow :mrgreen:

PS hope I'm not spamming :lol:

jeez, i'm dizzy just reading that. :( good thing you're made of titanium! :lol:

is it just me or do tight paths in the trees seem a bit hazardous?

and yeah, hy, thanks for reposting your cemetary classic.

Back at college, this was a great place to, um, hang out... :mrgreen: incredible views of the city. choice real estate. Georgetown U owns it and was gonna disintere the graves but has to wait till remaining holders die... so no real disrespect..

meanwhile, i'm starting to play with other controller locations... i need also to consider it being 6fets longer :twisted:

and i'm not fond of existing pack, so going to play w/ some other ideas.. i really don't think i'll need to be removing the pack much, so might fill up the space...
20120428_083401.jpg

Thanks guys. Apart from not being able to lift left arm I'm fine.

This is where it happened crash.jpg
Hit the tree on the left an then the one on the right. Was hanging over the edge for a bit, semi-knocked-out

Hey GC, here's the setup I've made out of one long sheet of 6" by 6' of 1mm aluminium. Made a little homemade wooden, sheet metal brake, works like a charm! I'm able to fit 24s, 88.8v, 10ah. I could probably fit 30s in if I changed up the position of some of the bends. http://i.imgur.com/XsV91.jpg

full-throttle said:
Thanks guys. Apart from not being able to lift left arm I'm fine.

This is where it happened
Hit the tree on the left an then the one on the right. Was hanging over the edge for a bit, semi-knocked-out

Noticed scars on the trees in the photo, like they've been hit before, or does that just mark the trail? Hope you are ok, get better soon and be out there cheating death again!

Ouch, my trails are usually more narrow allowing only one bike on the path. It keeps you alert and on your toes. You get use to watching for low cut branches and obstacles. Wide open paths with few obsticals in between can put you to much at ease. I hope you were wearing a helmet. I hit one hard during my first year of trail riding with my left shoulder. Trees don't budge and can leave quite a mark. I've been very lucky so far, and have been good at avoiding them as I get better at riding. Lots of body movement and sideways limbos while riding. It's similiar to tree skiing for me, cheaper too. You stay at a speed that you are comfortable with and work on your skills. Due to all the switch backs you can only go so fast, so crashes are usually tolerable. Just like skiing you plan out your path two steps ahead and get into a zone that's quite meditating. There is no room for other thoughts. This is really the main reason I have an ebike.

grindz145 said:
had you been trying to avoid the caved in dirt perhaps? only to get a closer look?

how's the left arm now? about time for some xrays? collar bone?

uh oh, looks who's stockpiling steel... :twisted:
20120429_120626.jpg

practicing by fixing the cracked lawn mower body..
20120429_110608.jpg

20120429_112136.jpg

Arm is better, thanks. The worst bit is - got to drive to work now :twisted:

Took the X-rays the same night, spent over 4 hrs waiting in the emergency dept. Nothing serious. The title song from Pain of Salvation's "Road Salt" is playing in my head :lol: would've made a good video (if I had the footage)

That bit used to be much narrower up untill the floods. Now there are multiple lines. I've opted for the high line, trying to gain on this lycra :oops: but didn't notice the tree

Always wear a helmet!

How are you able to keep the temp of the motor down to 65!? I'm running 88v, 100v hot off the charger, 76A phase and 50A rated current. And I hit 70C all the time, 80C if I WOT for more than 30 seconds. I have bone stock HS3540

crusoe said:
How are you able to keep the temp of the motor down to 65!? I'm running 88v, 100v hot off the charger, 76A phase and 50A rated current. And I hit 70C all the time, 80C if I WOT for more than 30 seconds. I have bone stock HS3540
who said anything about 65C? i go 5 miles in 15 min and get up to 125C...

you can drill holes to vent to get a bit of air cooling, but don't bother. you'll still have to manage it, or do the new craze (and here.) so which would you prefer? drilling holes in your precious motor or filling it 1/3 full w/ oil? :lol:

i'll be doing it as soon as my new motor arrives... the M/C tire overheats in no time, just going downhill. :lol:
20120429_204400.jpg

i doubt i'll use that compression fitting, btw...

now i haven't been jumping lately cause the controller's in the way. :roll:

so time to move it. decided to stick it at the bottom of the down tube, where they commonly seem to go. keeping it cool will be a priority soon... :twisted: might have to hit the odd puddle.

20120429_135546.jpg

so i bolted the controller to an alum L bracket, drilled and bolted sideways thru that material on one side, and clamped the alum bracket to the bottom bracket on the other side. it's rock solid now.

did i mention that i'm sick and tired of controller wires and connections. i'd cut the wires down but who knows if i'll have to move them later. so i've got 2 pounds extra wire... :roll:

and after moving it, i realized i had to fix something else before jumping again:
[youtube]eqxO1ovGojo[/youtube]

installed two spares spokes in place of the broken ones.
20120429_205653.jpg

why did you remove the tyre? couldnt you have just unscrewed the spoke from the nipple, and screw then next one back in?

sn0wchyld said:
why did you remove the tyre? couldnt you have just unscrewed the spoke from the nipple, and screw then next one back in?
only had 13/14g replacement spokes, instead of the 12g spokes.

i think the anti-corrosion juice that i put on made the spokes loosen up quite a bit. and they always squeaked, even when tightened and trued up. :roll:

nevermind the fact that the spokes don't seat in the flange. :x

shorza said:
What's the plastic tube for? Will that go inside your hubbie to prevent oil dripping out the filler hole?
i liked fechter's idea of a circular tube outside the motor, and clear is great to be able see any spill, but i think i'll drill a smaller hole at an angle and epoxy the tube in place. there just isn't a lot of clearance for big stuff in there.

as is:
20120430_075317.jpg
- ran out of time to do new pack. bungees were great on GT, but haven't figured out good pattern and i'm over them.
- seat tube mount is for trailer bike, fyi
- seat itself doesn't bother me anymore, except when wet, cause it's cloth on top :x
- i loosened up the nut on the coil a lot. it's nice tight to reduce sag, but i'm guessing it's better loose for big hits, but would love expert insight
- after MC wheel goes back, i'm thinking of adding/moving some batts into a pelican 1200 on the forks, to up the voltage but also move some weight forward. the 1200 seems about 2/3 the size of oatnet/gensem's 1300, just 9.25" x 7.12 x 4.12. but my packs are 5s and i could actually fit my entire 20s10ah pack in there, but i don't think i'll need to do that.
1200-IMG_5586.jpg

Those are some good drops! I've been running into issues with the chain line being way too low due to kiwi's dropouts being an inch lower than the stock axle placement. I've got a nice 3mm gouge in my swingarm from chain rub (when I'm in the hardest two gears). Are you running into this problem at all?

Back