GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

Timbuck said:
5 amps per staple.. :D
Cool I have 2000 amps worth of shunts in my desk draw :lol:

Assuming you're talking about a CA-DP you can add the connector to any controller as long as you get the wiring right - do a search here for the right wiring locations (might be in the user manual too but from memory I think it's not) You need to know the shunt resistance though so make sure you calibrate it - else it's better to use a stand alone.

WELL......
Just had a very very fun , ride with dad. Mono's wheelies , donuts , jumps , and crashes... Ha ha
Amazing to see a smile on dad's face , like he was a kid again with not a worry in the world. :D Few $$$ of lipo's for fathers day , SMILE price less. :D
Got a great video loading up.. :D And here is a teaser..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN14KJTEtJw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

help on wiring diagram.....
the noob needs help.. :wink: :D

full video 1/4 loaded.. came out very funny.. a couple of idiots riding ebikes....grow up
never.. :D

tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2snkc7sCOXM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here it is...
Great day buggering around with dad.(ROG).. laugh's a plenty. Put a few 12s 3ah lipo's through it.
Top speed on flat was 45kph.
Haven't got the cycle analyst on yet , so don't know any amps etc. As you can see in the video , no heat in anything ??
Even after big climb's.
Did run it on 14s , but didn't really see the point. As he wants it for hills.
All in all we both cannot say anything bad. $$$$$$$ V's fun is great.

I would like it to be lower geared , as we have some crazy steep , trial's type tracks and it just needs to be a little lower and we will make them.
Dad has 2.5km of hand cut track's we have done over the years since I was born. Also a old quarry a few hundred meter's away. And not counting the NP and forest rides every where..he lives in a good part of the world for e mountain biking.
kyogle nsw..

Tim

That was too good Tim. Your dad is a gun! You have told me about your dads tracks but I didn't think they were that steep. Quite impressive! The bike seemed to eat it up. Sorry I couldn't make it today.

Eric

I would say under load it has to be pulling closer to 1000 watts based on what I see comparing it to mine. I am really interested to see how much power it uses! Get that CA on there ASAP! Looks like great fun!!

full-throttle said:
Perhaps this coming Saturday. Unless I'll be riding real bikes again :p
Bah, downhill is for people who can't afford lithium :p
Looks like a nice day for it though!
I'm thinking of bolting one of these kits to your old bazooka - considering the rear end can't take a hub without a heap of work.

Thanks for posting Tim, it looks like it did those hills with ease. It's always hard to convey the slope of hills on video. I've been up some monsters in my vids and you barely notice it isn't flat. You get a bit of an idea in that shot towards the end when you're running above him. Sounds pretty quiet too for a chain drive, much better than a cyclone.

Enjoy riding with your old man, I built mine an ebike 2 years back for fathers day and he loves it. I'm actually in the process of building him a new one now

This is impressive, most hubs would be scalding hot on trails like that!

Hmmmm this could be my next motor, it's really quiet, though I can't hear too much with the noise here at work.

Does anyone know what the top speed would be with this motor on 48 volts ?

I road beside rog today , I ran out of puff. But held constant 37 to 40 kph.. He passed me and guessing 45kph.
Flat road. No peddling.
Cruises at 25 to 30.

Tim

45kph that is slow, but it's only 44 volts or was that LiFeP04 ?

But boy does it eat trails! :D

Anyone know if the motor would handle 16S LiPo ?

iovaykind said:
45kph is not slow for 450w.. its definitely pulling almost 1kw if its getting up to 28mph on the flats.

That is true I'f it's only pulling 450 watts.

Anyone know the power limit of this motor yet ? :mrgreen:

Timbuck said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2snkc7sCOXM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here it is...
Great day buggering around with dad.(ROG).. laugh's a plenty. Put a few 12s 3ah lipo's through it.
Top speed on flat was 45kph.
Haven't got the cycle analyst on yet , so don't know any amps etc. As you can see in the video , no heat in anything ??
Even after big climb's.
Did run it on 14s , but didn't really see the point. As he wants it for hills.
All in all we both cannot say anything bad. $$$$$$$ V's fun is great.

I would like it to be lower geared , as we have some crazy steep , trial's type tracks and it just needs to be a little lower and we will make them.
Dad has 2.5km of hand cut track's we have done over the years since I was born. Also a old quarry a few hundred meter's away. And not counting the NP and forest rides every where..he lives in a good part of the world for e mountain biking.
kyogle nsw..

Tim

Dear Tim, 12s1p 3000mAh? How many kilometers do you think this small pack can do in this setup, used in "city conditions", without these steep hills???

- Fabio

I'm sure is pulling 1kw. Time will tel , we have a cycle analyst to put on it BUT cannot seam to find the wright wiring diagram for the ku93 controller.
We ran it on 14s yesterday and it was fine. Nothing hot , no smoke.. Ha ha. And I'm sure the motor would handle a lot more.
45 ain't that quick , in till you come off... :D At 66 I'm happy it only does 45... That's quick enough to get dad down the the bread shop and up the trails.. :D

I think as it is standard. It perfect for what it is and what it costs.
We are going to get a smaller sprocket on the front to lower the gearing , and make it into a cliff climber. Just for a test.
Comparing it the my cannonadale , it's is 100% lower geared.
155 cadence (as first page). I get 9.9kph......and roger's is 21kph way to fast IMO. It will be neat to see the difference.

Would love to change it to a 3 gear set on the front.

A turnigy watt meter would do the job here to measure the power.. no need to figure out how to wire up a CA !

THe SA (standalone) CA is as easy to hook up as the Turnigy (or other) watt meter. ;)

The DP (direct plugin) CA is easy to hook up, too, as long as you know what pads are what on the controller PCB, so you can solder in your own CA connector, or if it already has a CA connector. If neither of thsoe are true, it could take some poking around in tehre with a meter or scope to find the signals you need for it.

I'd personally rather have the extra wires of the standalone CA to deal with than worry about figuring out what to connect it to and where on each new controller it's used with...but many people seem to make the choice, perhaps mistakenly, of the DP version for controllers taht don't have the CA plug already there.

Did some testing this morning.
We are running 44V @ max of draw of 25amps. = 1100 watts. :D

Just going out the door for a big ride up the mountain..

Tim

So....

From the 44v , 3ah pack

We replaced 2100mah.
So.
We traveled 4 km..of very steep mountain climbing and open trails.....WITH peddling ... Used 525mah per KM..

Was the motor or controller hot, warm, cool?...

If it not too much to ask, sometime in the near future, could you pull the cover off the stock controller and take a couple of close-up pics?

spinningmagnets said:
could you pull the cover off the stock controller and take a couple of close-up pics?
gng12.jpg
Don't have a proper camera with me today..

FETs: 9 x STP80NF70 (68V, 8.2mOhm, 98A)
63V caps
NEC micro

Room for 1 more shunt

NICE! So 1100 watts and cool to the touch after running it hard for a bit? That tells me you could possibly go as high as 1500-2000 under normal conditions eh?!!

Back