GNG chain conversion.

Secret1511

100 W
Hello,

I need some advice
Just put on some sheets from lightningrods.
Nice product buy now my belt keeps slipping.
My question is. What is the easyest way to go from belt to chain?

There are several threads about chain conversions, start searching!

Here's one to get you started...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785&start=1750

If you are willing to ride like a scooter with almost no pedaling, you can stay with the power of 48V and get LightningRods 18T slip-on pulley. That will provide a significant increase in belt-holding (20% more teeth?). If that is not enough (belt still skipping/ratcheting) then perhaps the next step would be buying the second large pulley, and when you have the two-pulley upgrade it would allow the use of the wider 20mm belt for 30% better holding, plus the 20% for more teeth on the motor-pulley.

Belts are quieter, especially on the high-RPM primary. If you don't mind the extra drill-like noise, chain is cheaper and it will take the most power while guaranteeing no slippage. #25H chain will work fine (H means heavy-duty). The pain of a chain-primary is turning down the motor shaft to an accurate and perfectly cylindrical shape (Denisesewa showed how in the linked threads). A 10mm shaft can use existing #25 spockets, and if turned to 12mm, LightningRods will be stocking an assortment of pulleys and sprockets, but...you would have to wait for those.

The easiest solution is to wait on LightningRods pulley upgrades. There will be no easy way to upgrade to chain. LightningRod's keyed shafts which are under development will require you to take apart the motor.

spinningmagnets said:
If you are willing to ride like a scooter with almost no pedaling, you can stay with the power of 48V and get LightningRods 18T slip-on pulley. That will provide a significant increase in belt-holding (20% more teeth?). If that is not enough (belt still skipping/ratcheting) then perhaps the next step would be buying the second large pulley, and when you have the two-pulley upgrade it would allow the use of the wider 20mm belt for 30% better holding, plus the 20% for more teeth on the motor-pulley.

Belts are quieter, especially on the high-RPM primary. If you don't mind the extra drill-like noise, chain is cheaper and it will take the most power while guaranteeing no slippage. #25H chain will work fine (H means heavy-duty). The pain of a chain-primary is turning down the motor shaft to an accurate and perfectly cylindrical shape (Denisesewa showed how in the linked threads). A 10mm shaft can use existing #25 spockets, and if turned to 12mm, LightningRods will be stocking an assortment of pulleys and sprockets, but...you would have to wait for those.

Ok thank you.
I will wait for the new pulleys from lightningrods.
I have just installed the sheets. They are great but the belt is slipping.
2500w is to much power for these belts. When i am lucky i break one each week.

Thanks

Geert

Back