gorilla chargers

When i built a 3d printer i bumped up the power supply to 24v with a mod and found that the 24v PSU was pretty awesome with a screw to send it up to 28v.

Recently i found that people are using 48v versions to charge their packs at 1000w or 2000w when on the road to double their range, and i'm definitely interested in have 1-2 for spares and for adjustable charging so i can keep the pack at 90% of the maximum for 9/10 charges and only do a balance charge every dozen charges or so.
48v comes in 0.5A/1A/3A/4A/6A/8A/12.5A/15A i.e. 720w is $85.

Is there already a debate on these here for cheapskate students? :)

I am only worried about reliability, risk to the battery. It would be cool to pair them with a voltage display or an overvoltage protection and stuff?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X48v+7.5a.TRS0&_nkw=48v+7.5a&_sacat=0

lots of threads for years about the meanwells and other PSUs, but you'll have to do some searching and reading, once you find the model you want to use.

If you are in the USA,, bear in mind that that plug you want to use, the one with a coke machine and an ice freezer already running on it,, are 1500w.

So plug in there with 2000w charger, and that dude inside won't be very happy, when an e bike rider made all his ice melt.

Just one of the reasons for using a lower wattage charger on the road. Most report success by keeping it at least under 1000w. Two satiators, meaning 700w running both at once seems like a good on the road charger set up.

But not for the cash strapped student of course. One popular alternative is the sealed meanwell power supplies, intended for powering led lighting. A sealed box ideal for charging even while it rains, and I think at least 250w,, not really sure. Three 500 wh batteries (48v 10 ah) and three of those would be nice. Two hours to 80% full or so. Not bad. 1200wh or something. Not sure if you can parallel those supplies, but personally I like to keep naked batteries smaller than bms equipped ones.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63045&p=1178098&hilit=Led+power+supply#p1178098

That one just the first thread I found one in. many others. Look for one of those for a great carry around power supply on the cheap.

There's a chance you might mean "Guerrilla" charging. Like a para-military unit that operates outside of any government oversight. Of course "Gorilla" works too.

Oh right! ok it's guerilla, same as Colombia... guerilla is a diminutive of the spanish word for war, learning many things here.

Indeed 2000w sounds dangerous, i would definitely stay under 1000w until i know if the batteries get too hot. It's good to have a cheap simple charger on the road, the chinese copies are clearly all based on meanwell designs, as meanwell makes it's power supplies over there nowdays. China is the LED center of the world as well so i figure they pride themselves in their power supplies, that they are dependable.

Back