Gorilla motorcycle alarm for e-bike

morph999

100 kW
This might be my next purchase. Once I get this, my life will be complete. haha. If I get this, no way will anyone steal my bike.

I got an onguard 5018 chain. If I bought this, and put in my battery box, then if anyone even touches my bike, I'll know about it. They won't be able to remove the battery box or cut my chain without alerting me. I was against buying one of these in the beginning but I'll have enough money in april to get one. I wonder how long they last.

So if I get alerted that someone is bothering my bike, I'll run outside and tackle them to the ground.

B000GZXAEC.01.lg.jpg

Looks like a good idea. Not super cheap, but cheaper than a new ebike for sure! I like the pager function, perfect for when you are in the grocery store or working nearby. Thieves can be really bold. Several times tools dissapeared from busy jobsites with 50 guys working there. The thief just walks up, dressed like one of us, grabs a saw or drill and walks off like he's gonna use it. Had mine go like that while I had my back turned nailing up something 30 feet away.

On my bike, my early work schedule allows me to do lots of my shopping at 6:00 am when thieves are not awake. At work, it's secure to leave my bike unlocked.

HEY MORPH: I don't know the price you are going to pay but (AMOZON.COM/GORILLA MOTORCYCLE ALARM) has it for $135.00 # 7017 and can be free shipping. :mrgreen:

Wow this is a really great idea! In the other post, I reviewed getting a seatpost siren alarm that sounds whenever your bicycle is jarred or moved. I've already got 4 locks on my bike (two mini u-locks and two decent cable locks). The price for the gorilla seems pretty good considering the money and time spent on ebikes.

Hi,

How does it compare on price and features with the alarm Bob bought?:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=279

bike alarm system

Postby bobmcree » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
i have been looking around for awhile for an alarm system for my bike that would activate a pager.…

I did find one that is exactly right for my needs and might be suitable for others as well. I really wanted both a pager and an active non-contact proximity detector, and I found exactly what i was looking for at only $69!

the Spy LM508 from West Coast Cycle is a 2-way pager alarm; you activate it with the pager and it sounds an alarm and alerts you when somebody messes with your bike. The pager works for 500 meters in the bike to pager direction and 150 in the pager to bike. you can remotely activate/deactivate the bike power system and/or the alarm. there is a locate button to set off the alarm from the pager. the system has remote start and turn signal blinkers most of us will not use, but it has some cool features the JC Whitney alarm does not. The most notable is a microwave perimeter intrusion alarm. The control unit has a standard
shock/tilt sensor with adjustable sensitivity, but the selling point for me was the microwave detector. The motion sensitive alarm covers an area about 1 x 2 meters, so when the antenna is properly located it should be able to protect the whole bike.…

MitchJi said:
Hi,

How does it compare on price and features with the alarm Bob bought?:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=279

bike alarm system

Postby bobmcree » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:41 pm
i have been looking around for awhile for an alarm system for my bike that would activate a pager.…

I did find one that is exactly right for my needs and might be suitable for others as well. I really wanted both a pager and an active non-contact proximity detector, and I found exactly what i was looking for at only $69!

the Spy LM508 from West Coast Cycle is a 2-way pager alarm; you activate it with the pager and it sounds an alarm and alerts you when somebody messes with your bike. The pager works for 500 meters in the bike to pager direction and 150
I saw the Spy alarm on ebay. I don't know if I want that one. The microwave sensor sounds like a good idea in theory but would you really want the alarm to go off if someone just goes near your bike? I don't. I only care if they are touching it. I'll look into the Spy again just to make sure that the Gorilla is what I want. I like the Gorilla because there's only 3 wires to hook up. Two to the battery and one to the pager antenna. Some of these alarms require professional installation so be careful which you choose. Everyone says that the Gorilla is the easiest to install and use so might just stick with it.

I'm pretty sure that upon getting notice that someone is messing with my bike, I would be able to run outside the store and catch them before they could take anything. They'd have to cut through 14mm of steel or take off about 10 bolts to remove the battery box or bike rack.

morph999 said:
I'm pretty sure that upon getting notice that someone is messing with my bike, I would be able to run outside the store and catch them before they could take anything. They'd have to cut through 14mm of steel or take off about 10 bolts to remove the battery box or bike rack.

pft...any good thief wont cut anything morph we pick the locks :mrgreen:

So..by the sounds of your neighbourhood when the gorilla alarm goes off alerting you of someone stealing your bike, you will run out to tackle them to the ground and be shot by some GangSTA 8) Sounds like a good plan good luck with that :mrgreen:

KiM

Two way... Hmm. Needs a remote button to engage the relay that turns on the voltage multiplier running off your pack. You know, the one that connects to the seatpost and handlebars? :p

AussieJester said:
morph999 said:

pft...any good thief wont cut anything morph we pick the locks :mrgreen:

So..by the sounds of your neighbourhood when the gorilla alarm goes off alerting you of someone stealing your bike, you will run out to tackle them to the ground and be shot by some GangSTA 8) Sounds like a good plan good luck with that :mrgreen:

KiM

My e-bike is in the kitchen, sir. Not the garage. This will be just for when I take the bike to stores. I've had a robber point a gun at me and I took off running. He got no money from me. Next time, instead of running, I'm going to attack them. The cops will have to arrest me when they show up. They'll think I'm the criminal because the robber will be on the ground and I'll have my foot on him. This year, after get surgery on my arm, I think I'm going to get some kind of punching bag and start sparring on it so I get beat some of these criminals up.

morph999 said:
I've had a robber point a gun at me and I took off running. He got no money from me. Next time, instead of running, I'm going to attack them.

AWESOME!!! idea...using your fists in a gun fight is always the better option IMO too, morph ..best of luck with that! ...:mrgreen:

KiM

I like this idea of a pager alert. However i use a hidden kill switch because there ain't many folks that want to pedal an 80 lb awckward looking bike.

The bonus of owning a recumbent bike with no suspention that all kids seem to need for parts. Still like the pager alert though.

I buy suspension-less bikes too. I'm old school. I don't like buying a bike that is going to wear out in 5 years.

Back