• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

headway cells

hi all. can anyone tell me if i need to use a bms with 12ah screw type headway cells ? regards to all.

Yes and No.

You CAN get away without a BMS if you know what you are doing and have single cell balancers.
BMS are a good idea if they are well made. For instance they turn off and don't bleed your cells dry while in storage. Of course finding a well made BMS at a realistic price is like finding a unicorn.

crimsonsnake0 said:
hi all. can anyone tell me if i need to use a bms with 12ah screw type headway cells ? regards to all.
I know of several people who have successfully used them without a "BMS' per say... including myself. With that said, i only have to deal with 8s/24v set ups. the more cells in series the more problematic and tedious it gets when addressing cell balancing and the other aspects that a BMS handles. I see you are relatively new here, so I briefly checked out your post history and realized you are shooting up to 24s/72 volts, so I am not the best one here to advise by a long shot. A lot of it depends how much you are willing to learn and how much personal attention you are willing to devote to personally monitoring and maintaining your pack and individual cells. If you mostly interested in a plug & play setup that you can mostly forget about about, then some type of BMS may be more up your ally.

There is a wealth of information on this very topic/question in this battery forum... this comes up all the time. Just need to seek it out. BTW, welcome to ES.

Long as you are monitoring, and are a human bms. You could charge with a good charger, such as the lipo ones that have a lifepo4 setting, and use some kind of low voltage warning or monitoring.

Using a cheap bms just for the charging should work too.

Back