Here Comes the Sondors Fold

Theodore Voltaire said:
Mid drive is an evolutionary dead end for bicycles, and this is why. 10 thousand miles, and zero driveline maintenance.

I have one of each. The mid drive (BBSHD) can go places my 2800W hub motor can't even dream of. The hub motor has enough power and torque to climb hills, but it will overheat on an extended off-road climb. The BBSHD can do the steep off road trails around my house and never breaks a sweat.

If I'm going to ride on pavement, the hub motor is better.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Spencnor said:
I love your mods to your Sondors Fold - very tastefully done! I’m considering buying a Fold for my 2nd EBike for its small form factor. May I ask what is the weight in its current form?

Also, do you find the new larger wheels and tires make it better riding than stock?

Thanks.

Thanks man. My larger double wall wheels, fenders, lights, and Maximus bars, plus 25 amp controller added 15 lbs. Total curb weight is now 65 lbs. Doesn't really matter though, because since getting it I've lost 20 lbs. :)

I like the handling better now, although stock it handles pretty well for the speeds it gets up to. Now it feels, and looks more sporty, and it cruises about 2 mph faster. Alloy frames tend to be harsh riding, and this bikes frame feels about as solid as an anvil. The stock fatty tires do a much better job of smoothing over bumps, so if you ride fast on a lot of rough streets that's a consideration.

Thank you for the feedback. All I have to do is to come up with the $1,229. USD :wink: Keep up the great work!

Not everyone mods their Fold into a sport model, some people prefer touring. Here's a look at the kind of goings on inside the secret skunk works in Storm Town.

Storm_town.jpg

Fold_Ray.jpg

Now I turned it into a 750w, and moved the controller to the outside of the frame. It's not any faster, but it's a torque monster, and the range doesn't seem to have suffered much. It may even be marginally more efficient now at certain speeds.

750_Fold_X7.jpg

Back