Raptor build - pre build stage

Dark Knight said:
Feck me...am I gonna have to reconsider my colour scheme again...

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/cart.php?suggest=5362f6cade6c6

Appear to be only available in white....but AUD999 delivered for a new 2013 model Fox 40 Factory FIT RC2 Kashima is quite the deal.

Hmmmm....
I reckon - if you are building your ideal bike - but then compromise on one key component, that may frustrate you in the future - "almost" perfect is not good enough! :)

PRW said:
Dark Knight said:
Feck me...am I gonna have to reconsider my colour scheme again...

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/cart.php?suggest=5362f6cade6c6

Appear to be only available in white....but AUD999 delivered for a new 2013 model Fox 40 Factory FIT RC2 Kashima is quite the deal.

Hmmmm....
I reckon - if you are building your ideal bike - but then compromise on one key component, that may frustrate you in the future - "almost" perfect is not good enough! :)

Very true my good man...however I'm not compromising on the part...that's exactly the fork I want...just not the right colour. Some would say I'm being a bike tart by trying to colour coordinate everything...and they're probably right! :D

Your point stands though, it's still a compromise if you're not getting the look you want. Having said that, there have been a couple of white raptor builds already that do look really trick (offroader and e-fuel)...but I do have my heart set on black and gold (cue Sam Sparrow...)

dark night you really think its going to work out the first time :lol:

take it really slow mate like 4-6month slow and hurry up need another perth ebiker

jesset33 said:
dark night you really think its going to work out the first time :lol:

take it really slow mate like 4-6month slow and hurry up need another perth ebiker

Hey champ - with your help, I'm sure it will. Not in any rush...want to get it as right as possible first time. Did you source a new motor yet?

im getting the brute 5305 rewind and going to do water cooling for when i pump 10+ kw :D

if you need help you got my number plus im sure peter says good things about me :shock:

Kent said:
Dark Knight said:
it's the battery and wiring that I feel will take some time and effort to make as slick and idiot proof as possible (direct plug in charging hopefully with balancing, minimal spaghetti junction of wires, throttle interfaces, controller integration etc.) as well as robust.

Re bike wiring: as someone who went through the "one more thing" with electrical tape and crimp-on connectors at the kitchen table for months, I couldn't agree more. If I were to do it again, I would sit down and carefully sketch it all out with measured wire runs with determined wire gauge and colors, places where they can be gathered and run together in a sheath, type of waterproof permanent connectors, hook up to dc/dc and charging port, etc. It should be assembled off the bike and installed as a one piece harness so as to be maintenance free, discrete and professional like everything else this thread is striving for. :)

So with some thought and planning, It wouldn't hurt to have a look at how motorcycle/scooter manufactures and the aftermarket do it. For example, ...

And if you do end up with a high quality finished product designed specifically for that frame, with everything to proper length, neat quality fastenings, not zip ties, without any extra long length droops of wire or spliced in wiring to make up for short runs typical of universal kits, then that would indeed be admirable and could be marketable.

I've seen alot of innovative, downright fun and funky lighting solutions here, but in keeping with the build standard of this thread, I would go with not only current motorcycle lighting standards but also approved lighting equipment. Here in the states we have DOT rating for light fixtures as well as tires, etc. it is usually marked right on the fixture. I am sure Down Under has something similar and is worth checking into. Being in compliance opens up higher resell value as the option of passing inspection for getting your plate and insurance is there if you, or the subsequent owner, choose to pursue it.

However, here in the USA while the aftermarket is flooded with LED auto lighting, it has not yet made it to full DOT approval. So those low draw state of the art lights which are ideal for us may not yet pass inspection.
My 2c.

Hey Kent

Thanks for the post mate. Wiring is certainly going to be overkill planned. Speaking of MC/scooter OEM, that's why I was looking at the Motogadget m-Unit http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/...m-unit-digit-tastersteuerung-u-sicherung.html which looks a pretty slick unit...just not 100% sure it suits.

Good points re: lights. Not sure how easy it will be to make one of these bikes legal in oz - our overlords are even more nannyish than they appear to be turning in the land of the free. Still worth making sure things could be legal I guess.

The research continues...

Haven't done an update for a while so thought I'd plug one in...just to amuse meself.
Have sourced the cane creek double barrel rear shock 10.5 x 3.5. Also ordered a couple of torpedo 7 19 x 1.85 MC rims...will be interesting to see how they are compared to the more regularly used prowheels. Frame will get ordered early next week through Hyena - thanks mate! Still looking out for a Fox 40 RC2 FIT fork in black, 2013 or 2014 model if anyone's seen one for a decent price. Brakes, rotors, stem, handlebars, pedals, crank and axel etc. will likely get ordered early next week - all either shimano saint or shimano zee mostly. Cro also likely to be placed on order next week...
It's all getting exciting now kids (for me at least) :D
Jesset - we'll talk re: water cooling...and build in general. PM me if you like, or we'll hook up on the ole dog and bone when we get the chance!
Be cool all!

Merlin said:
take a look at hope brakes.
http://www.hopetech.com/

Hey mate - I had considered the hope techs...and in the end there wasn't much between them and the saints in terms of reviews. The saints just look badass in my opinion (the calipers in particular) and combined with the fact that they've got a wee bit of gold bling just pushed them over the line.

How's your build going?

ah the blingbling factor :D
yep but hope made alot of blingbling when u ask them
http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/hope-tech-x2-gold.jpg
and i like the "motorcycle" vented Brakediscs

hopescheibev2vented.jpg

My Build is growing ;P
yesterday i recieved the little paper from postman that he was there.
today i get my package with the raptorframe :mrgreen:
Black/black....i like white but i have to be stealthy as possible....

-Black Frame kit with white decals. *arrived*
-10x 10s lipo 25c 5800 (~3KwH) *arrived*
-Maxxis Minion 2.7x26 *arrived*
-24fet 4115 from lyen is on the way (will be powdercoatet black matt)
-fox 40 float kashima 2014 on the way
-fox RC4 kashima 2013 on the way
-EASTON EA50 Monkey Bar riser (30mm) on the way
-XLC Pro Ride Direct Mount on the way
-Cromotor v3 on the way (will painted in matt black)
-Mavic EX729 rims on the way

so everything is black except the kashima parts and white decals on frame and handlebar+ some decals on the tire.
it would be also nice to use a mx rim but i hope that i looks like a "bicylce" :mrgreen:

marcn said:
I need another Sydney ebiker working on a Raptor!

What made you go with those rims Ant?

For 200 bucks Aussie for 2 rims landed (i.e. Including freight) I thought they were worth a crack. Still got the thread for prowheels rims and will see if anyone else is keen...if so, I'll probably get a couple of them as well. The black ones were USD75 each plus freight though so the torpedo were cheaper...and they'll be here in a couple of days...not that I'll have anything to do with them then...probably just hang em on a wall to look pretty... :D

Merlin said:
ah the blingbling factor :D
yep but hope made alot of blingbling when u ask them
http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/hope-tech-x2-gold.jpg
and i like the "motorcycle" vented Brakediscs

hopescheibev2vented.jpg

My Build is growing ;P
yesterday i recieved the little paper from postman that he was there.
today i get my package with the raptorframe :mrgreen:
Black/black....i like white but i have to be stealthy as possible....

-Black Frame kit with white decals. *arrived*
-10x 10s lipo 25c 5800 (~3KwH) *arrived*
-Maxxis Minion 2.7x26 *arrived*
-24fet 4115 from lyen is on the way (will be powdercoatet black matt)
-fox 40 float kashima 2014 on the way
-fox RC4 kashima 2013 on the way
-EASTON EA50 Monkey Bar riser (30mm) on the way
-XLC Pro Ride Direct Mount on the way
-Cromotor v3 on the way (will painted in matt black)
-Mavic EX729 rims on the way

so everything is black except the kashima parts and white decals on frame and handlebar+ some decals on the tire.
it would be also nice to use a mx rim but i hope that i looks like a "bicylce" :mrgreen:

Whoa...those hope tech rotors do look the business no doubt, and like the bling factor on that .jpg from sicklines...not sure if I want to be that blingie though :lol:

You're getting the parts together nicely there mate. What was the damage for the forks...? Gotta be an arm and leg in Europe...

I'm hoping the MC rims and tyres don't scream out 'I'm not a bike' too much...but looking at other builds, I do like the look of em.

Good luck getting everything put together champ!

Edit - oh, and I think our bikes are gonna look veerrry similar...

Merlin: Cromotor v3 on the way (will painted in matt black) hmmmm doesn't it come already in matt black? Mine did. It looks glossy but its like a satin flat. I am powder coating mine Lexus snow white on the sides with yellow heat sinks between spokes and on the side. on a black background. I will take a picture when I get it its hard to explain or visualize LOL.

Hey ecruz - I only just got round to checking my hotmail and lo and behold some fantastic piccies were there - in the process of downloading them now. I'll fire through an email to you soonish and will also give you my work email as that's the one I check daily.

I've dropped Vladimir an email for the Cro v3, waiting for him to respond. TC65 is up on eBay!

Pulling the trigger on the HSD too. Not sure how nice it'll work with a 5 speed freewheel.

ecruz said:
Merlin: Cromotor v3 on the way (will painted in matt black) hmmmm doesn't it come already in matt black? Mine did. It looks glossy but its like a satin flat. I am powder coating mine Lexus snow white on the sides with yellow heat sinks between spokes and on the side. on a black background. I will take a picture when I get it its hard to explain or visualize LOL.

dont know, hope so...less work for me ;P
i dont like this glossy look like xlyte.

yellow, white black cromotor?....oh whee :D
When you do so much work....why dont you anodize it? that would be the most blingbling hottest cro ever :D

Merlin said:
ecruz said:

dont know, hope so...less work for me ;P
i dont like this glossy look like xlyte.

yellow, white black cromotor?....oh whee :D
When you do so much work....why dont you anodize it? that would be the most blingbling hottest cro ever :D

No if I anodize it will be over board. LOL White follows the bike and the heatsinks are anodized. As the rest of the bike is the same continiues color with anodized pieces.

Time for another update I guess...many of the parts have now been ordered and are on route - list of what I went for (I'll also edit this into the opening post) follows. FWIW I'm up to around AUD5800 (for ordered, projected and budgeted) excluding batteries - this includes freight costs etc. and is for everything including brake pads, lines, rims, tyres. Obviously I've actually spent more as purchased spares at the same time...and a range of required tools either purchased or on there way. I suspect someone in the US would be able to do this for under USD5000 (exchange rate and freight savings). By the time I accounted for the cost of the frame, the motor and the controller/BMS/display (was always going to go MaxE) which was in excess of AUD3k delivered, I decided that the optimum level fitout was appropriate. Looking at costs of DH bikes with the kinds of components I'm fitting, these started at over AUD6500 in oz...so figured I've actually done quite well. You could easily build for cheaper by going with a cheaper option on controller, forks, shock, brakes etc.

List of ordered:
Rear Shock - Cane Creek Double Barrel
Rims - Torpedo 7 own brand 19x1.85 7075 ally
Tyres - Shinko 241 2.75x19 (will also have Shinko 244s to try)
Head Set - Cane Creek Series 40 ZS
Spacers - variety in ally (gold and black) and carbon...and a cane creek interlock spacer. Looking at offroaders fork/headset fitting, I may need more though...
Stem - Crank Brother Iodine 2 65mm (damn accesory bits in silver though...and supplier doesn't have gold so no changey....might try and contact crank brothers to see if they can send out the accessory bits in gold)
Handle Bars - Crank Brothers Iodine 2 AM Riser handle bar (looking at it, should maybe have gone with more of a rise....we'll see when it's all built)
Crank & BB - Shimano Zee FC-M645
Pedals - Shimano Saint PD-MX80
Seat Post - Truvativ Husslefelt Seatpost 400mm (gonna be too long...but that's what angle griners are for... :D)
SP Clamp - Gold Procraft PRC
Front Hub - Shimano HB-M820 36H FH Disc
Brakes - Shimano Saint M820
Disc Front - Shimano Saint RT99 Ice Tech CL 203mm
Disc Rear - Shimano Saint RT86 Ice Tech 6 bolt 203mm
Rear Deraulier - Shimano ZEE M640 Shadow Plus
Shifter - Shimano ZEE SL-M2640 Rapidfire plus

Parts still to get:
Forks - Fox 40 RC2 FIT Float Kashima - trying to source these at a reasonable price with the steering tube intact...no joy thus far. Wish I had of bought those white ones for $950 and bit the bullet on painting em.
Motor - will defintely be Cro, just finalising payment info to order
Batteries - will be samsung 25Rs, hoping to fit in 22s12p in 3 or more separate 'packs'
Controller, BMS and display - waiting for MaxE adaptto to be back in stock
Spokes - waiting for Shimano front hub and torpedo rims to measure up
Throttle - still deciding on this one. The domino pot looks like a reasonable option, and by all accounts is pretty well made. Still a pot though... Also, rumour has it the Adaptto lads are working on something with thrust one way and regen the other - a dual twist throttle. May go for a cheapie thumb throttle in the interim and wait for the Adaptto solution...
Switches - any suggestions? Guess I'll need to figure out exactly what I want switched...and an additional thumb throttle for regen?
Rear Freewheel - contemplating one of the DNP 7sp with 11 tooth higher gear just worried it may not fit...hmmm
Seat - probably get a Velo comfort and a Planet Bike ARS (do have the moto seat coming with the frame)

Now the patient game of waiting for everything to arrive....then the even more patient game of actually putting it all together...

For the rear disc rotor, you did read about the fit issue I had with that rotor? It won't sit flush with the cromotor and your motor will need extra dishing.

Offroader said:
For the rear disc rotor, you did read about the fit issue I had with that rotor? It won't sit flush with the cromotor and your motor will need extra dishing.

Yeah I fixed that issue, remove the cro break bracket its real thick and also heavy steel. All it does is change the bolt pattern. Just make an aluminum washer for the thickness you want and instead of using the bolt pattern of the rotor just drill the rotor to fit the original bolt pattern on the cro. I have to take a picture of this so you guys can see. However I still think 5 is the max if you put more the motor will not align with the chain line and you will wear out chains all the time.

I like the list Dark Night. I was curious as to why you didn't go with a Hope integrated stem price?
Imagine this with black gloss botls 8)

I opted for the 29E after careful consideration with wanting to balance torque and range. The 25R could essentially deliver over 150A Max and 80A continuous with a monster BMS. That's pulling over 11kw.

65A max is adequate with the 29E, and it's enough torque down low. 100A or more would be a wild ride - you may need a harness so you don't fall off from get up and go!

ecruz said:
Offroader said:

Yeah I fixed that issue, remove the cro break bracket its real thick and also heavy steel. All it does is change the bolt pattern. Just make an aluminum washer for the thickness you want and instead of using the bolt pattern of the rotor just drill the rotor to fit the original bolt pattern on the cro. I have to take a picture of this so you guys can see. However I still think 5 is the max if you put more the motor will not align with the chain line and you will wear out chains all the time.

I like the list Dark Night. I was curious as to why you didn't go with a Hope integrated stem price?
Imagine this with black gloss botls 8)

Feck...maybe I should have gone with that integrated stem... :D Actually - I did look at that but decided that I wanted the top and bottom crown to remain in black. The Kashima coating should supply sufficient gold in that neck of the woods... Having said that, I could always change it in the future. I am trying to 'buy good, buy once'...but you can't know how it all integrates together until you build it I guess

Nice info on the rotor - don't think I would have thought of redrilling the rotor itself....shouldn't be too risky in terms of weakening the rotor were all the 'new' holes are drilled should it...? Are they at the same diametre as the 6 standard holes? How'd you make sure you got them spot on - slightly off centre and your disc will move up and down as it oscillates.

With regards to rear freewheel, I was contemplating moving the motor across a touch (to disc brake side). Looking at the Cromotor picture on Qulbix website (posted in Raptor thread a few weeks ago) the motor is actually currently slightly off angle favouring the freewheel side as it is...you could gain a couple of mm by 'straigtening' that up...and maybe moving it to be more across to the brake side. This should be achievable by pulling out the adaptor and fitting a washer as per your suggestion. I just wonder if then you (I?) will have caliper clearance issues - is that what you are referring to offroader? I was then thinking of fitting a 7 speed freewheel with the largest 2 sporockets stripped off...just so I can fit an 11 tooth (actualy, probably strip all of them off and add back on 1,3,5,6,7 or some such combination) which should overcome the chain breakage issue? As I (currently) have no intention of fitting a HSD, I really do want to try and get a freewheel with an 11 tooth sprocket to fit. If we could come up with a way to make the $300 1.6:1 overdrives work, I reckon I'd be all over that...

All this is of course highly theoretical at the moment as I don't have the frame or motor on site to even try and do comparatives. If I have to go with 5spd, no problems - I'll just keep my eye out for one of those old Shimano 5 speeds with the 11 tooth sprocket. As ridethelightning said in the other thread...it'll be for decoration only in many respects. For my purposes, it's to give it a bike look (disguise on bike paths) and to give me a bit of excercise at lower speeds...so as long as I can reasonably pedal assist up to 20-25mph without the legs beating like a blender then I'll be a happy lad. Getting into the higher speeds, I intend to be on the dirt etc. and will be more worried about holding on and steering than turning the ole legs over.... :lol: If I'm even pretending to pedal when having a crack at high speeds tests (i.e. aiming for the psycological 100kph) then I fully deserve to earn a Darwin award...

Back