Heybike Mars top speed

The Courier

1 µW
Hi everybody, I am new to the e-bike world and I’m looking for some advice. I bought the Heybike Mars expecting to raise the top speed using the settings in the display, and when I received the bikes they had a different display and that wasn’t possible. Does anyone know what I could do to get the top speed up?

Hi everybody, I am new to the e-bike world and I’m looking for some advice. I bought the Heybike Mars expecting to raise the top speed using the settings in the display, and when I received the bikes they had a different display and that wasn’t possible. Does anyone know what I could do to get the top speed up?
That's a Class 2 e-bike. It's specifically designed not to exceed 20 mph. It's also a cheap (and awful) e-bike that's fighting against itself all the time. If you doubt that, try riding it for any significant distance without motor power. All that resistance you feel? The motor is working against that resistance too, which is a major reason it feels weak and terrible. It's configured to be that way (and to sell to folks who don't know or care any better than that).

For what it's worth, the battery in your e-bike would probably be overtaxed to provide enough power to get you >20 mph speed. The bike is only engineered to drag all its handicaps and bad ideas up to a maximum speed of 20 mph. Asking it for more is asking some components to exceed their capacities. The results will be predictable.

Also for what it's worth, the same amount of power would result in much higher speed on a normal bike (like one you'd be willing to ride without added motor power).

To add to Chalo's summary, you can replace the battery, controller, and display with a higher voltage, current, and wattage setup to proportionally increase the speed, but it's likely that only the display will fit where the old one did, so you'll have to secure the new larger parts to the bike in other places.

At a guess it would probably be $500-$1000+ depending on how much battery you need to do the job you need the bike to do for you under the specific conditions it has to do that job, and for how much range you need under those conditions. The faster and farther you have to go and the less flat and windless the conditions are, and the less perfect the roads are, the bigger a battery (and controller, etc) you will need.

The motor may be unhappy with the extra load and heat generated by using it beyond it's original design, but it may handle it ok. If not you can replace it with a better one; the cost for that will depend on what you need, probably another $200+.

At that point, however, you've replaced everything except the bike itself (which you may also have to replace parts on to improve it to work well enough for you at the higher speeds, such as braking and/or suspension or wheels), and it would then be cheaper to return (or sell) that bike as it is now and instead buy or build a bike that already does what you want it to do.

If you still want to try increasing the speed, but prefer to do it in bits and pieces to just see what happens, the first part to replace is the controller and display. You'd need one with a higher current limit than the original (because it takes more power to go faster because of air resistance), and one that has no built in speed limit. The display usually has to come with the controller to work with it, as they are not typically intercompatible.

Depending on the connectors used on the bike, you may have to cut and splice wiring to change parts out, and test for or guess at the correct wiring as there aren't any standards truly adhered to in this stuff, and not even the colors of the wires are consistent, so you can't always just match colors (it's possible to blow up parts by connecting them wrong, so it's best to research and test first...but often enough you have to just guess at some things).

Once you start this process you probably can't return the bike and would likely have a hard time selling it if it isn't working, so be sure you want to and can afford to go down this path before you start.

That's a Class 2 e-bike. It's specifically designed not to exceed 20 mph. It's also a cheap (and awful) e-bike that's fighting against itself all the time. If you doubt that, try riding it for any significant distance without motor power. All that resistance you feel? The motor is working against that resistance too, which is a major reason it feels weak and terrible. It's configured to be that way (and to sell to folks who don't know or care any better than that).

For what it's worth, the battery in your e-bike would probably be overtaxed to provide enough power to get you >20 mph speed. The bike is only engineered to drag all its handicaps and bad ideas up to a maximum speed of 20 mph. Asking it for more is asking some components to exceed their capacities. The results will be predictable.

Also for what it's worth, the same amount of power would result in much higher speed on a normal bike (like one you'd be willing to ride without added motor power).
You ignoramus, yes riding the Mars with no power is like riding uphill through mud. Because you're fighting an engaged geared motor. But to say the bike has to push through this the same is false, when it has power the motor, gears turn (omg an electric bike) so the motor gears are turning freely and has much less resistance. And when the power is off the gears need your man power to push through them again. So not true about the bike needing to push through the same as when the battery is giving voltage..

You ignoramus, yes riding the Mars with no power is like riding uphill through mud. Because you're fighting an engaged geared motor. But to say the bike has to push through this the same is false, when it has power the motor, gears turn (omg an electric bike) so the motor gears are turning freely and has much less resistance. And when the power is off the gears need your man power to push through them again. So not true about the bike needing to push through the same as when the battery is giving voltage..
YouTube has a video of going into the menu and changing top speed fron 32 to 40 which is 24 mph. this bike has low torque and will probably do 23 mph pretty easy. The battery can almost hit 40 miles on 1 charge, that's this bikes strength.

First, I'm not even talking about the motor. You could swap out for a normal unpowered fatbike wheel and it would still suck to ride like it was rolling through a tar pit.

Second, geared motors have one-way clutches so they can coast freely. So all that drag you feel when your try to propel it with pedals only? It's not from the motor.

There are good reasons you never saw bikes anything like that one, until there was electric power to allow them to move without the rider crying and vomiting.

The battery can almost hit 40 miles on 1 charge, that's this bikes strength.

Put up or shut up. Range claims for e-bikes are almost always lies, and that goes triple for cheap pieces of crap like the one we're discussing.

Haha, just checked the specs and found the seller claims 50 mile range, which would be 12Wh/mile if the 48V 12.5Ah spec for the battery isn't also exaggerated. At your more modest but still fanciful claim of almost 40 miles, that would be 15Wh/mile. In either case it's about twice the efficiency that most folks here observe from normal e-bikes, and trying to pedal yours will let you know it's not nearly as efficient as a normal e-bike.

Assuming you already wasted your money on that thing, the best you can do (other than sell it on to some other fool) would be to fit it with decent quality, narrower, smooth treaded tires that aren't too thick and rubbery. And then start saving your shekels for a real bike.

Last edited:
Add higher voltage battery

I bought the Heybike Mars expecting to raise the top speed using the settings in the display, and when I received the bikes they had a different display and that wasn’t possible. Does anyone know what I could do to get the top speed up?
It may require a specific combination of button press sequences to access the speed governor. Have you contacted the vendor for the code?

this bike has low torque and will probably do 23 mph pretty easy.
Confusing. What does that mean?

Back