Hi all,I to have a 2012 serengeti panther that I bought from a p

chas

1 µW
Hi all,I to have a 2012 serengeti panther that I bought from a party that said it just stopped running.I got it home and took off all the plastic and found a connection under the battery box had come loose at the junction.Easy fix.But the battery will not hold a charge.Only lasting for about a mile.I cannot find where to purschase a new one.any help would be great. Thanks Chas.

It appears to be off the market altogether, you get to configure something yourself. From what I've read of them when it came up recently that thing had a lot of issues right out of the box.

So in my thankfully dim memory of using NiCad batteries I recall they had a memory of their own, and needed to be "Cycled" when they had a problem like this. I don't know enough about lithium. Do THEY need to be cycled?

Digging a little, I come up with mentions of a lithium battery. That can be a bit hard to fix, but it's possible that the battery just needs balancing.

The starting point, till you have a voltmeter, would be to put the thing on the charger for a long period, possibly a week or more. This might get the battery balanced again, the bms takes a long time to fully balance a pack that is badly out of whack.

Often when a lithium battery is left un charged for a very long period, the battery management system attached to the battery will actually drain down one or more cells. The device runs on low voltage, so it eventually discharges those cells till they die. Hence the often used name for them, battery murdering system.

Chances are, unfortunately, you may have to invest $500 or more in a new battery,

Hi Guys: I have one of those Serengity Panther (48V, 15 Amp, Lithium). I had battery problems out of the box. After extensive effort to get the battery to work correctly from suggestion on this forum I gave up. It never did work.Since then, the cycle is just a heavy paper weight in my garage. It ran only twice for less than a mile before the battery gave out.

Not knowing much about battery I relied a lot on this forum. And there are lots of very bright knowledgeable people here. But, I had so many conflicting suggestions given to me that it became a merry-go-round situation. I even went as far as modifying resistor on charger. It is impossible to get one or two battery cells replaced from the market. A new battery pack involves change in BMS, charger, controller, etc.. In the end your are out of more than $500.00. One keeps reading about the great low cost, higher efficiency evolution on Lithium but always years away.

I wish you luck. Yet, I will keep an eye out on your post, just in case??? Regards JJ

So unlike a lot of others, SLA, NiCad, etc., these lithium batteries sitting in the garage retain their potential usefulness after a "Balancing," right? Even after a few years? Milou might still have hope?

Back