Hobbit's Rans Fusion

Alright Hobbit! Everything is looking good on your end, with the 4080 :!:
All that wiring is making me cringe a little bit though. Just the thought of getting on of those wires some how getting sucked into the spokes sounds like a recipe for disaster. I am sure you made sure everything is A-ok, I am just a big fan of a battery box :mrgreen:

Yeah the battery box is on my list of things to do, absolutely, but I've gotta first built the pan-brake to build the box,lol. If someone out there could just figure out a way to "create more time" like maybe a 28 hr day would be just perfect,lol. I was just busting to get 'er out on the road so the duct tape is a good temporary solution. Yeah, keeping one eye on the wiring. I've taped it up a bit more since those photo's too. Went with black to give it a bit more of a batmobile vibe....'fer now.

Yeh black tape so you can't see the scorch marks too :oops:
Pan bake?, bigger vice jaws, wood, big hammer good bashing, pot rivets and lots of touch up, beautiful :lol:

Well when in doubt... Add more tape!
Have you ever thought about molding fiberglass? It might be easier than making your own pan bake and then bending the metal yourself. With molding fiberglass or carbon fiber: all you have to do is make the shape you want out of an easily workable material, such as wood, sand it till it gets nice and fine, and start laying up the fiber glass. If fiberglass isn't your style carbon fiber would look nice and cool. I also hear the CF has a degree of fire proofing for the lipo.

megacycle said:
Pan bake?, bigger vice jaws, wood, big hammer good bashing, pot rivets and lots of touch up, beautiful :lol:
You forgot TLC :lol:

Tools Labour Cash :lol: .

Update:

yesterday saw my first real commute with a 44.5 km round trip. It was just awesome. A ride that used to take 1.5 hrs and all sweaty and stinky for the day then ride for 1.5 back home and fall in a heap now takes about 45 mins each way and just a little out of breath and slight sweating. I WAS doing the pushbike thing once a week 'cos that's all i could stand but, kinda counter intuitively, with this new toy I'll be riding every day (in good weather) so I'll actually be getting more exercise over the course of things.

This morning, DAY 2, I got pulled over :shock: ...
I was slept in, running late with rain threatening so I was drafting a car at 60 odd kmh. I heard the wooop, checked behind and pulled onto the footpath. My guy pulls up next to me and winds his window down...
Me: Good morning *big grin*
Him: G'day mate, what's that....is it electric?
Me: yeah, that's right, it runs on batteries
Him: Is it Illegal?
Me:......It's 200watts.
Him: you were really moving there....
Me: between me peddling and the throttle I had it pretty much maxed out. (true)
Him:.......ok, have a good day,mate. *drives off*
I then tailed him for about a km or 2 peddling my arse off and keeping it under 40kmh to hopefully reinforce my "legitness" lol, before he dissappeared over the horizon. Lesson learned.

and turns out my three speed switch doesn't go low-med-high, it goes low-med-med.(why me and Hyena were neck and neck with his saggy 9c) I've got a spare here that I'll install "soon"

and I've been playing around with my Rshunt settings, rather than do it properly and it seems my particular controller has a Rshunt value of 1.108 or damned close to it. you're on the money there, too, Jay.

I was a little worried about this backpack booster pack getting out of balance but no, with Icecube's harness's my 9 bricks of lipo are being handled magnificently. totally noob proof.(thank god)

Yeah, was originally going for fibreglass and then I was thinking thick plastic but I'm locked into aluminium now. I've got everything i need, just need the time. I may go fibreglass of CF for build 2, but then there's Hyena's new custom frames so all that works already being done....Hmmmm, we'll see.

Hobbit said:
Update:

Yeah, was originally going for fibreglass and then I was thinking thick plastic but I'm locked into aluminium now. I've got everything i need, just need the time. I may go fibreglass of CF for build 2, but then there's Hyena's new custom frames so all that works already being done....Hmmmm, we'll see.

Yeah, go for something that is fire proof, in the case one of those lipped decide to go fireball. You will be glad your have a good layer of protection between your valuables and your lipo.

What is your charging setup, by the way?

I've got a 24v 1000w meanwell and an Icharger 3010. I bulk charge my 6 bricks in parallel on the bike and the 3 brick booster pack seperately. I'm checking everything with my cellog 8 obsessively and balance charge when needed.

Whats the charge rate and charge time like Hobb's for a heavy DOD, with that zippy pack :?:

Well they're rated at 2c charge rate = 16amps per batt. x 6 batt's = a staggering 96 amps, charging them in parallel, IN THEORY. I'm setting the charger at 20 amps and its taking maybe an hour or two for the big pack to get up to 4.17 volts per cell...very rough figures there.

my charger has a max. of 40 amps but i'm in no rush to charge 'em. I like to be gentle with my lipo. :wink:

Hobbit said:
This morning, DAY 2, I got pulled over :shock: ...
Me: Good morning *big grin*
Him: G'day mate, what's that....is it electric?
Me: yeah, that's right, it runs on batteries
Him: Is it Illegal?

"whats that you got there son ?"
"why it's a rocket launcher officer"
"I see, are they illegal ?"
"nope, not as far as I know"
"ok then, take it easy"

:lol:

Where abouts was this ?
Funny that you got pulled over on your first commute, I've been riding for years and never had a cop actually pull me over. *touch wood*

It's odd that your 3 speed switch is working like that. I wonder if it's actually the switch or the controller/wiring itself.
Something is out of whack though, it was still freewheeling at close to 100km/hr the same as mine, which corresponded to a bit over 70 on the road, and that's in a 24" wheel. Your speeds are definately backwards or out of order though. I wouldn't have thought the lower speeds would have been all weight and aero related on your bike. A few km/hr maybe but not 10+

It was west menai, old illawarra rd near bradman rd. there's a few petrol bicycles ive seen around here fairly regularly lately so maybe theres a heightened vigilence around these parts. Like he was about to say "hey you know them motorized bikes are naughty" then he's looked down and...."WTF? um.... Is that electric? " "no, officer, these aren't the droids you're looking for....move along" I'm imagining he's going back to the office to read up on the legislation, but that might just be a little paranoia on my part, i'm going to take it slower,anyway.

If i just unplug the 3 speed alltogether, will it default to 100% power? I might give that a go today.

Yeh lucky with the law there.

With Ice's harness, has that got paralleled balalance leads as well.
Can't find details looks like all his phot's have been removed.

Anyhow,mega switcheroony might do the tricks, was under low energy testing last night.
It was 3S OK, as photo green led for run, but parallel still had some resin, thought i'd gotton rid. of on one contact :roll:
SANY0199 (800x600).jpg
Sit's on the side of the box, punch grommeted holes through the side, 12 connections done, but wondering you must have all those balance leads paralleled :?:

Yeah, all the series-ing, paralleling is done on the motor/charger side of the plug. Quite brilliant really. I'm pretty sure thats why icecube deleted most of his photos. Guys were pumpIng him for detailed info, getting him to do all the schematics, then just pulling out and doing it themselves essentially stealing his designs..not fair, damn trolls.

What did that set you back :?:

Well, it cost "a bit" but WAY cheaper and FAR superior to anything i could come up with and if it wasn't for this harness i think i would have blown up my bike and my fingers several times over by now. :D

Yep i'm a thumb nails from KF, :idea: good way to get rid of my prints though, for when plod pull me :D .

Sussed your speed issue :?:

So....I've got 240km's under my belt now. Coming to the end of my first week of commutes and lovin' it. I think i picked the coldest week of the year here in Sydney to do it. It was 2 degrees this morning, felt like my fingers were in a vice....Harden up princess.

I'm getting around 20wh per km average if my CA is right. pedalling my arse off in the mornings to make sure i've got enough 'lectrikety' to get home. From 4.16-4.17 the lowest I've had the batt's down to is about 3.79 ave. so it's all good.

one more item in a very long list of first's: had my first ebike crash this morning. Yay. coming up off the road onto a right hand footpath I went onto wet grass and the hookworm slipped out from under me.(just pumped it up from 30psi to 40 psi :roll: ) smacked my helmet on the pavement (that $40 just paid for itself) bit of a graze on the knee and my right thumb and index finger are now swollen and painful.......Harden up princess.

But on the whole......HOW GOOD IS THIS!!!!

Hobbit said:
one more item in a very long list of first's: had my first ebike crash this morning. Yay. coming up off the road onto a right hand footpath I went onto wet grass and the hookworm slipped out from under me.(just pumped it up from 30psi to 40 psi :roll: ) smacked my helmet on the pavement (that $40 just paid for itself) bit of a graze on the knee and my right thumb and index finger are now swollen and painful.......Harden up princess.

But on the whole......HOW GOOD IS THIS!!!!

A true ebiker now.
Yeh i've done the gravel rash thing with hookworms on my giant, 45 deg lean still sticks to tarmac,
but :( like riding a banana on anything else :?

Good to hear you weren't too badly hurt in the stack.
I steer clear of hookworms for this very reason. I know alot of people rave about them but as you've found they can be lethal on grass or loose surfaces - even more so with a FWD. These hoop snakes are great for commuting only on the road but sooner or later you're going to go up on the grass or through a park or something and that's where they'll strike out and bite you on the arse :p

Wouldn't be so bad on the arse least got some padding there, always the hands if there's time or them and the noggin as in Hobbs case if its a more abrupt :eek:

Hobbit said:
Yeah, all the series-ing, paralleling is done on the motor/charger side of the plug. Quite brilliant really. I'm pretty sure thats why icecube deleted most of his photos. Guys were pumpIng him for detailed info, getting him to do all the schematics, then just pulling out and doing it themselves essentially stealing his designs..not fair, damn trolls.

Ya think... right now im at the point i dont really care all the materials and tools they need are going to cost them way more than if they just let me do it. If they did it themselves is going to be half assed or you can tell where they take short cuts. In away its genius but in away you are going to end up redoing it costing more money in the long run.

How you going with the duct tape Hobbs :?:
Got my pig flying now, chewed through 2 halls on the 4060 :cry:
So meanwhile got my 5404 on :oops: that's a beast no rear brakes and havnt sorted regen.
On that is the controller setup for regen?
Mines looking similar changed battery setup.
Black duct tape does look cool though.
I'm going to a guy who does vacuum forming let you know how i go.
Could be an option if you still need a box :D

yeah, I've been meaning to update this but every time I start posting I end up working on the bike some more instead.

So I joined the cardboard aided design team.
cardboardaideddesign.jpg

and then found plans for a do it yourself panbrake...

panbrakemake.jpg

and sliced up my 1200 x 2400 sheet of aluminium...still metric shittons left over. :D I mean...I could make 10 of these. :D :D

jiggetysaw.jpg

folded it up into a triangly rectangly thingymagiggy.

foldies.jpg

batterybox.jpg

and now I'm in the process of jb welding all the joints and adding a hinged side door. Then I'll spray it aqua and see how that looks.

I found a new "shortcut" for the commute. I've discovered the Woronora firetrail. I tried a different firetrail a fair few weeks ago and it was so rocky/bumpy it nearly shook the bike and me apart. scared me off ém but I've taken up surfing google maps as a hobby lately looking to "streamline" my to-work-and-back. I've been up and down it 3 or 4 times and it's awesome. A tar sectioned-off, basically private road that makes my run to work essentially all back streets so I can put a few more kph on with little chance of "commutus interuptus" from the guys who my taxes pay to keep the public safe. :wink: It's kinda counterintuitive but the more out of the way the road is, the quicker the commute seems to run.

Now...back to the 7 degrees manshed, WOO!

Back