Hobby King Turnigy wires

wannesd

100 W
Ah, the idiots strike again.

Ordered 6 meters 8AWG black, 3 meters 8AWG red.

Was delivered in lengths of 1 meter :roll: :roll:

The HIGHLY PROFESSIONAL (...) operator on the other end of the live chat, took 30 minutes to tell me that it is my own fault, for not specifying that I needed it as a continuous length.
When I pointed them to the fact that such thing is NOWHERE stated on the product page (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=79707), they say that they are aware of that issue, but will still not send me what i actually ordered.

Great customer service!!!

I'm afraid that will be the only option, as they plainly refuse to do anything.

Anyhow, any other source for turnigy wires?

You should be able to go to any local Hobby shop and get this.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=8+awg+silicone+wire&_sacat=0&clk_rvr_id=1032928454747&adpos=1o1&treatment_id=7&crlp=94203605340_377&MT_ID=16&device=c&rlsatarget=kwd-31872374825&keyword=8+awg+silicone+wire&geo_id=34636&poi=&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true

Esting said:
You should be able to go to any local Hobby shop and get this.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=8+awg+silicone+wire&_sacat=0&clk_rvr_id=1032928454747&adpos=1o1&treatment_id=7&crlp=94203605340_377&MT_ID=16&device=c&rlsatarget=kwd-31872374825&keyword=8+awg+silicone+wire&geo_id=34636&poi=&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true

Sure, but the turnigy branded wires have a very high number of very thin strands. Better than any I've encountered so far...

Same thing happened to me on my last order, abut four months ago....

But it turned out to be somewhat my fault...

There were two different listings for each color and gauge, one for one meter only lengths. and the other you could specify continuous lengths... It was all down in the tiny print, down well below the "Add to Cart Button" .

HK did not make any attempt to make it obvious. And the continuous length listing was a full page of listings away from the one meter only pieces.

Lesson learned: Read everything at HK closely. Don't assume that common sense is a part of their standard operating procedure.

wannesd said:
Sure, but the turnigy branded wires have a very high number of very thin strands. Better than any I've encountered so far...

I kind of doubt the elections can tell the difference. In about 17 years of messing with e-bikes, I've never had any issues at all with stranded wire of the appropriate gauge, regardless of the specifics. It's not like you're hanging your battery from it.

Some of the nicest wire I've used had pretty coarse strands (and Teflon insulation, and pure silver plating).

Chalo said:
wannesd said:

I kind of doubt the elections can tell the difference. In about 17 years of messing with e-bikes, I've never had any issues at all with stranded wire of the appropriate gauge, regardless of the specifics. It's not like you're hanging your battery from it.

Some of the nicest wire I've used had pretty coarse strands (and Teflon insulation, and pure silver plating).

If memory serves from school the electrons do actually care. Electron flow is biased toward the skin of the wire. So higher strand count has slightly less resistance.

That said in these applications it doesn't really matter. Just a fun fact.

I had the same issue, but didn't end up disputing it.

Since the wire was never actually promised in one length, I thought it was a long shot. Literally, I did order 3 x 1m. not 1 x 3m of wire.

It's a waste, since you can't just cut off the length you want, but oh well. We're talking the price of a cup of coffee, right?

Sunder said:
........ We're talking the price of a cup of coffee, right?

Heh, You drink expensive coffee

3 Meters of that 8Ga runs $10.00 in the US. Plus whatever shipping is.
:wink:

For years, i got everything as one length from HK, but last shipment ( a few months ago ) everything was in 1 meter bags, i got 20 pcs 1m long, each in a zip lock bag.. i would rather skip the zip bags and get more product.. but i highly suspect this is to keep the packers honest and to tighten down on missing meters per spool in inventory.. ... a hypothesis ..

Grizzl-E said:
Chalo said:
wannesd said:

If memory serves from school the electrons do actually care. Electron flow is biased toward the skin of the wire. So higher strand count has slightly less resistance.

That said in these applications it doesn't really matter. Just a fun fact.

the skin effect is dependent on the frequency of the signal
At DC (what between the battery and controller there is no 'skin effect'. It really only matters with how much energy you're willing to lose to resistance. This skin effect is just barely becoming an issue between the controller and the motor.
Use 00 gauge from the battery to the controller (as some of you do) if you're that worried... otherwise 8 gauge copper (or, what I use which is 2 pairs of 12 gauge copper) will service the electrons just fine. the wire could be non-stranded or stranded or super-duper stranded and it. just. doesn't. matter. ... the electrons will be happy, living a carefree, cooler less restrictive life.

RLT said:
Sunder said:
........ We're talking the price of a cup of coffee, right?

Heh, You drink expensive coffee

3 Meters of that 8Ga runs $10.00 in the US. Plus whatever shipping is.
:wink:

Not quite what I meant. I was talking about wastage, you're talking about the whole lot being useless. If I need 60cm lengths, then I can get 5 out of 1x3m, but only 3 out of 3x1m .

Of course, if I needed 1.5m lengths, then yes, you're right.

Back