How do you convert a pedal assist ebike to throttle ?

How do you Convert a Peddle Assist, to Throttle ?

I am finding used e-bikes where I live , But, sometimes the one I would want , or is a good deal at the
time , only has PAS = Peddle Assist Mode, like the Overly Restricted European E-Bike Market.

I know there is a cadence sensor, But Could I use the Same Controller ?

Or go have to buy a different Controller ?

Or is there a way to take the cadence , and or, torque sensor off the bottom bracket area , and put it up at the
handlebars , with some way electronically make it think it is still down at the BB area with a pot box or something ?

Some of the Currie Tech Bikes ( I-Zip ) have only PAS mode
and
Sometimes a European E-Bike shows up used in my area, and they seem to only have PAS .

It depends on the bike. The European bikes with the Panasonic or Bosch crank-drive motors can't be changed. If it's a bike with a hub-motor, it could be as easy as buying a throttle and connecting it. In the worst case, you'll need a new controller, which will be about $50. Look for a bike with the magnet disc PAS sensor. That's the most likely to be ready for a throttle.

The controller may or may not have the wire to plug in a throttle, but its very likely if you open the controller, you can find out which pads to attach a wire to.

Or, replace the controller if the original one is just that weak. Like a 400w, vs a 200w.

d8veh said:
It depends on the bike. The European bikes with the Panasonic or Bosch crank-drive motors can't be changed. If it's a bike with a hub-motor, it could be as easy as buying a throttle and connecting it. In the worst case, you'll need a new controller, which will be about $50. Look for a bike with the magnet disc PAS sensor. That's the most likely to be ready for a throttle.

Well in Fact one Bike I really liked that came up on Craigslist, was a German 27.5 mid drive with the Bosch Crank Drive , Looks like that one is out .
do you know about the
E-Zip E-3 Peak, it looks just like the German one , looks like the Bosch motor also ?

E-Zip has another e-bike with a 500 watt rear hub motor, so on that one, just get a new controller ?

Thank You

How did it go? Did you manage to put a throttle on a Pedal Assist Mode bike?

I'm facing the same problem with my new e-bike.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63242

Brgds... /BlueSwede

@ BlueSwede, Hej,

I gave up , since no one seemed to know for sure , or had done it to their bike, and told me how,
So
I bought a Hub Motor, and Controller/Throttle/Brake Levers, and Battery.

So far I have not done anything with those because, I am looking for a newer full suspension bike at a good price, and that has not happened yet , also I must build up the motor into a rim, so all is on hold until I find out if I will be riding a 26 inch, or 650b ( 27.5 inch ) or a 29er.

At least I have a electric scooter to ride around on , in the mean time.

Hej da

ScooterMan101 said:
@ BlueSwede, Hej,

I gave up , since no one seemed to know for sure , or had done it to their bike, and told me how,

If you had told us which bike you have, we could have told you how to do it!

d8veh said:

d8veh, I had been looking on craigslist, and found a few a couple of months ago, but I was not about to buy something and find out it I could not do it, Of all the P.A.S. bikes out on the market I like the one that I would consider buying used is the Stomer , the model that is most like the Specialized Turbo.
They come up for sale used every once in a while, it has a 500 watt motor, and the batteries in the downtube, and looks a lot like the Turbos
the Specialized Turbo's that come up used are still very expensive, way over my budget .

But
Even more than wanting to throttle a Stromer, I would like to do a throttle conversion and put more /amps and perhaps more watts
through a Bosch , mid drive mountain bike.
I had to pass up on one of those, as well. it was a good price, but so far on the internet I have only found out , on youtube , how to trick the Bosch into thinking you are peddling harder, or is that , how to trick it into thinking you are peddling faster ? but that still wont work since somethes my legs , need, a rest . I need a throttle.

If there is a Tread on converting a Stromer, or a Bosch Mid Drive, I would surely love to read about it. or a PM on how to do it.

dnmun said:
you can go follow the blue swede on his thread. we got his throttle working.

Yea, I just found his thread late last night and read the whole thread, very good work BlueSwede has done ! and in such a short time !
I would have been too busy flirting with all the local Swedish Women to get that accomplished .
I would have had to just buy a new controller , ( he says what parts of the circuit board he modified, but he did not show exactly how, he showed the before pictures of the circuit board, not the after modification pictures of the circuit board )
Looks like a small 250 watt Befang hub he has, I think someone can get a new controller/throttle for one of those small befang motors from a dealer who sells to the U.S. market. ?
However I looked for a motor with more watts , since I live in the States.

I really wouldn't even try this. Most pedal assist bikes come with complicated systems and simply replacing with a throttle just isn't possible unless your talking about a really old one.
The best option is to simply get a good mountain bike and buy a kit online that you can fit in no time. The kits come in a variety of sizes - power wise - and include everything you need including safety features like auto cut off when you brake etc.
These kits are surprisingly high quality for the price - ranging from £170 to £380 or so depending on where you purchase it. Direct from China is your best bet price wise if you don't mind s little wait for delivery. Buying off ebay is also an option but of course you will pay slightly more.
Once fitted you have throttle control - either twist grip or thumb which you can specify at time of purchase. The battery hangs in a beat little sling that fits onto the bike frame very easily.
All in this is your vest bet if you want a derestricted bike with throttle control.
These kits can easily reach speeds up to 50-60 mph which you will never avail if if you have any sort of self preservation built in! Believe me! Maybe a one off on a straight quiet road to see just what it can do but on a daily basis you will NIT want that type if speed!
So save yourself a lot of hassle and just go this route! It's by far your best option.

paxer0o said:
These kits are surprisingly high quality for the price - ranging from £170 to £380
These kits can easily reach speeds up to 50-60 mph which you will never avail if if you have any sort of self preservation built in!

Link to an example?

Challenge accepted LOL :)

Well sort of, I'm in the UK with our overly restricted e-bike laws.. But I have a VERY OLD 24v folding bike that has either power assist (pedlec) or twist and go, selected by a button on the handlebars (no longer legal on new bikes but this bike predates that law, so it is legal). Its an "Electrobike 24v 250 watt hub motor" from ASbikes.co.uk"

So it doesn't actually need converting. The twist and go works perfectly but the power assist has not worked for years, the sensor failed, the manufacturers said at the time, well you can replace the sensor in the crank and it will work again. So of course I didn't bother.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM

Recently I have been thinking of converting the bike to 36v as it lacks get up and go. I wont repeat any of that here cos I have already been having discussions with AW in another thread (unless you need to know any of it of course). But I have got to the point of trying to find a new brushless motor controller for the hub motor.

Most of the ones I have found don't actually have power assist output, so basically can I use one of these. controllers?

I have put a couple of photos in this post the first one (004) is the present controller the second image is the replacement I was thinking of well the wiring diagram, didn't bother with a photo of it as they all look the same.

AS I DON'T WANT THE POWER ASSIST (I mean you can still peddle anyway so I can't even see the point). Any idea if I can just use the controller I found and simply not bother with the power assist, or would I need to do or add something.

Basically I have no idea how the power assist does what it does when its working in the first place.

Keith

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • possible controller.jpg
    possible controller.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9
Buy this one, or one like it,
-It's sensorless. All you need to connect is the three phase wires.
-It has throttle/pas, but will run without the pedal sensor.
-It's a KT controller, so will run w/o a display if you plug in the jumper (usually comes with it)

So all you need is the motor wiring and a throttle, plus battery power. All the rest of the connectors can float, although I like hooking up brakes. I don't know what shipping is to UK, but it's an inexpensive controller.

Thanks doc,

Well def cheap enough, that supplier don't ship to uk, but I expect someone here sells them I'll look for a uk supplier, if I'm not sure Ill come back to you with a link.

Had a quick look on e-bay, progressively shortened the spec trying to find it or something similar, but not being 100% sure what I wanted (if it wasn't exactly what you linked) ran into a few problems, but will look again..

Oh found this bit more expensive but this looks like it

Is this is?

All the sensorless ones here are expensive, as in about £50 plus post, found several US suppliers, all bit dearer than the one you found, but the ones that were willing to ship here wanted £30 postage. and if it gets taxed as well, it would be much better to find one here, even if it cost more.

What about this one, it is sensored but so is motor, if I know what's wrong with it it will help me find one that is ok

sensored controller

If you have time (and I do realise you prob got better things to do) can you look on ebay.uk, and see if you can see one that fits the spec. But I will try again myself. Just you would immediately know if its suitable or not.

K

Last edited:
Buy a pedal assist mid drive with fault codes, rip out the controller and wire up the phase wires to a 1000w sensorless controller, most will run fine.
If you have problems you could go all techy and glue your own halls to it.

How do you Convert a Peddle Assist, to Throttle ?

I am finding used e-bikes where I live , But, sometimes the one I would want , or is a good deal at the
time , only has PAS = Peddle Assist Mode, like the Overly Restricted European E-Bike Market.

I know there is a cadence sensor, But Could I use the Same Controller ?

Or go have to buy a different Controller ?

Or is there a way to take the cadence , and or, torque sensor off the bottom bracket area , and put it up at the
handlebars , with some way electronically make it think it is still down at the BB area with a pot box or something ?

Some of the Currie Tech Bikes ( I-Zip ) have only PAS mode
and
Sometimes a European E-Bike shows up used in my area, and they seem to only have PAS .
Once i had the same issue,why have an ebike and have to pedal?,like having a dog and barking yourself,my bodge for the pas was to fit/bond the sensor ring from the crank to the wheel hub then extended the wires from the pas sensor and cable tied it on the fork leg,fooled the pas as soon as the wheel rotated.

Once i had the same issue,why have an ebike and have to pedal?,like having a dog and barking yourself,my bodge for the pas was to fit/bond the sensor ring from the crank to the wheel hub then extended the wires from the pas sensor and cable tied it on the fork leg,fooled the pas as soon as the wheel rotated.
Well I am still very much a beginner at this, But I found by simply not connecting the pedal assist wires, It worked perfectly. This bike already had a throttle, which saved fitting one, but while fitting the new controller, I experimented with a throttle from a scooter that I had laying around, and that also worked perfectly without the pedal assist connected.

So unless I was lucky, it looks like many bikes can be converted by simply (possibly replacing the controller) not connecting the pedal assist
and if need be fit a throttle if the bike does not have one,

Keith

I had to replace my controller anyway as I was upgrading from 24v to 36v, so swapped the controller, kept the original motor, works perfect, but more power, and more speed, which was the object.

I have a Reid E trail 1.0 pas can you please advise me on which throttle to get and do I need a new controller?
From pictures, you have sealed connectors and a sealed fixed wiring harness, so it's probably not possible to fit a throttle directly to your controller. probably the easiest solution would be to get a new controller. I'd always recommend a KT controller set to "torque simulation" mode, as they give a very nice ride with the pedal assist and much better control of the power. If you only want to use the throttle, you can get any cheap one. Unless you already have a KT LCD, you'd have to get an LCD too. If you go for a cheap controller, you'll have to get the matching control panel too in most cases.

Back