How to design "Classes" for Ebike Racing?

Eureka!

How about this...

The bike and rider must come to a certain total weight. In order to do this the lighter riders are allowed to use MORE BATTERIES and so they will be able to race at full throttle with less of a concern for fuel economy. (a big advantage if the race is long enough or the hills are steep enough)

When the two (heavy and light riders) are racing head to head they have the same overall weight, but the heavier rider will NEED to draft more in order to save energy.

A good idea?

:arrow: 150 lb rider - 50 lb bike - 50 lb battery (who needs lithium?)

:arrow: 175 lb rider - 50 lb bike - 25 lb battery

:arrow: 200 lb rider - 50 lb bike - 25 lb battery (he needs to finish the race)

The lightest riders in GP or flattrack are seldom the champions - and some big guys have done very well - keep the rules the same - you did a good job of convincing me the rider/bike proportion thing isn't that effective.

Here's my 2 cents:

1) H/I/J voltages

2) 40 (?) amp limit - is there an efficient inline current limiter better than a fuse or breaker? An amp limit keeps it from being a battery stuffing contest (you can only pull so much for so long, depending on the duration of the race) - which would keep the weight low (no need for weight limits now - too many or too few batteries would just slow you down) - which would keep the cost relatively low.

3) Bicycle tires only.

4) Age classes - that's good for both the fast kids - and the adults. It has killer school/club/parent potential.

That's it......

safe said:
I could see myself racing you and others of similiar thinking. You and I would show up at the track with radically different designs but be constantly seeking to find ways to make what we have better. Over time a range of theories get tested and the sport would evolve. This would be all about vehicles that are restriced to small power limits like the 1-2 hp limits set on "non-licensed" vehicles. There are still kinks in the way the laws are set up, but I could see a whole manufactured product line of race machines that are also something you could ride home on... legally... (we hope)

Sounds like loads of fun to me! And one that just might have a future.

Thanks to whomever posted the link to this place......

A standard type of fuse might be a good way of enforcing a current limit. Easy enough to inspect for. As long as the controller current limit is below the fuse rating, the fuse won't blow. Try to crank the amps up and you die in the middle of the race (DQ).

Racing is usually a combination of technology and rider skill. You need both to win. Personally, I'd like to see some competition where rider skill is minimal and the race is weighted toward technology. I'm getting old and my knee dragging motorcycling days are over.

Some kind of test of efficiency might be cool. See who can get the most miles per watt-hour or something.

fechter said:
A standard type of fuse might be a good way of enforcing a current limit. Easy enough to inspect for. As long as the controller current limit is below the fuse rating, the fuse won't blow. Try to crank the amps up and you die in the middle of the race (DQ).

Racing is usually a combination of technology and rider skill. You need both to win. Personally, I'd like to see some competition where rider skill is minimal and the race is weighted toward technology. I'm getting old and my knee dragging motorcycling days are over.

Some kind of test of efficiency might be cool. See who can get the most miles per watt-hour or something.

I think that with only 1-2 hp the speeds will be easy to handle and traction issues will be there, but "wild" slides due to horsepower won't be. The very nature of a small motor means that it's more a race of strategy (drafting) than anything else. It would be more like NASCAR where you would have to work your way up through the field by exploiting the wind.

A fuse sounds fine... if someone blows their fuse then you know they are illegal... sounds fair... (and much easier to enforce)

The weight limitations thing was getting a little bit too complicated...

:arrow: So Voltage and Fuse it is?

safe said:
fechter said:

I think that with only 1-2 hp the speeds will be easy to handle and traction issues will be there, but "wild" slides due to horsepower won't be. The very nature of a small motor means that it's more a race of strategy (drafting) than anything else. It would be more like NASCAR where you would have to work your way up through the field by exploiting the wind.

A fuse sounds fine... if someone blows their fuse then you know they are illegal... sounds fair... (and much easier to enforce)

The weight limitations thing was getting a little bit too complicated...

:arrow: So Voltage and Fuse it is?

I like the Voltage and Fuse, very simple and straight forward. Easy to implement without messing up someone's e-bike design. If you know the voltage and the fuse blows at a certain amp, then they can't "cheat" on this by mislabeling batteries or using a controller that allows 200 amps, LOL.

safe said:
I think we have a winner...

Voltage and Fuse. 8)

I like it too, a simple "in line" setup for the batteries using some standard fuses to keep them "controller honest" and a simple volt meter to see what voltage the batteries are pushing at full charge. Not saying someone wouldn't go as far as to put some "D" cells in the frame and a bunch of secret wires, etc. But then, the weight can tell a story as well about the bike (hmm, the e-bike only has one 12 volt battery but weights 100 lbs for some reason, LOL)

the e-bike only has one 12 volt battery but weights 100 lbs for some reason,

A few ounces of a123's could be hidden in the frame and boost voltage 12V for a few minutes by way of a secret, hidden relay.

Some hyper-competitive people make more of a game out of beating the game than the competition...I bet it'll happen fairly regularly once ebike racing gains popularity and (maybe) prize money....

As time goes by people will find new ways to cheat and then the rules will need to react accordingly. It's a perpetual conflict to maintain fair conditions for all.

The Voltage and Fuse is a good place to start... (and a visual inspection could scan for obvious cheating)

Back