Hub Motor Cable - Where to find ?

Dacflyer

1 W
Where can one find Hub Motor wire ? I was given a set up that was destroyed. Cable twisted right off at the spindle.
I was given the battery , hub wheel and controls. So if i fix it, I can use it.
This cable has hall sensors as well.

Google or ebay search on 8-wire BLDC motor cable

However, if the axle spun and ripped out the cable, then it's likely that the controller got fried in the process and will need to be repaired/replaced. Something to think about since replacing the cable isn't an easy task.

hub motor wire, from the motor windings to the phase wire, I've done those. Whatever wire fits, wire that has hard insulation. For example, not using Hobbyking Silicone wire for example, its a bad idea because the wire insulation is soft. FInd a wire with a hard insulation, thats hard to cut. PTFE Teflon wire is the best, but hard to find.

I might go by the Aviation dept at the local airport, I have a buddy there, I probably could get some old aircraft wire, it's teflon coated. and i think it's got thin insulation and it's tough too...Didn't think of that before.. I'll look into it...

Teflon insulation sometimes ages badly, tending to crack into "macaroni" segments on the conductors. I don't know what causes it, or if it happens to all PTFE-insulated wire at some point, or just certain processes/etc.

I used to have some cockpit panels from an old 737, and all of the wiring still attached to them was like this at some point in the harnesses (it might be why they were removed--easier to replace as a whole than rewire in place).

I've also seen the same thing in various old hubmotors that used teflon-insulated wire. :(

Same thing in some old server racks wired up that way.

How long it takes to get this way varies depending on the properties of the teflon itself, the environment it was in, and the physical stresses it underwent over time, but I've seen stuff as young as a few years in hubmotors that failed this way. The 737 panels were probably at least 30-40 years old when I first saw them (already failed insulation).

Another issue with PTFE is it is "soft", and flows under tension or pressure, so that if you have a wire resting on or pushed on by something, the insulation tends to flow away from the conductor, allowing a short to whatever is pushing the insulation away.

What kind of wire are the hub motors using then ?
Despite the drawbacks, it's still not uncommon for them to use PTFE insulated wire...especially in the larger ones (like the QSmotors QS205s I've got here), since the insulation can be made very thin, and it's "slick" so it slides easier thru the axle holes/channels. But they are using (presumably) new wire, not unknown-age/condition used wire. ;)

Smaller motors often use the typical PVC-insulation wire.

I don't see silicone insulation on any motors except occasional RC motors posted here.

A randomly-found handy page about the types and their goods and bads.
Oddly (to me) their chart does not include "pinch (crimp) resistance", which is a common damage seen in all sorts of devices. I don't know if it's a standard property to measure...but it'd be nice if it was. :) Same for "slice (cut) resistance". They only list "abrasion resistance" which is not the same kind of damage or cause.

Extension cable would have too thick an insulation.
Compare that to any TEW or Hookup wire. It has good insulation stoutness, can buy it anywhere, is affordable and easy to take the insulation off. Get the best gauge that suits your needs.

I read that wrong, I remember. I was thinking you were talking about using an extension cord used in a garage or workshop, stripping the outer insulation to reveal the inner wires with their own insulation.

You say you just want to EXTEND the length of a cable or wire?
Well thats easy to do, like I mentioned I have done it with cheap hookup or tew wire but wire that had a hard insulation, not soft like Hobbyking Silicone for motor phase wires. What people have done to try and protect the wires coming out of the axle is slip on a spring around the wires, a mini slinky wrapped around your precious phase wires and perhaps sense wires if you so have them.

But I am correct in that some wires do have a thicker insulation over the conductive wire part. You can find good technical data on products that MOUSER sells. They may not tell you the insuation width, but it may direct you to the wire manufacturer to find the insulation jacket thickness.

Buy the extension cable I linked in the second post
Cut off the multi pin connector
Strip off about 6 to 8 inches of the black casing/jacket
Open the motor
Take a pictures of the connections
Remove the old wires (may need to clip or desolder)
Feed the new wires through the axle until the casing is pulled up to the axle
Resolder the new wires using the pics you took earlier
Reassemble the motor

Back