Hub motor winch build. Advice needed!

I would like to build a wakeboard / snowboard winch similar to the photo below.

I have built my share of e-bikes and I think a 48v 1000w hub motor should be plenty for my application. I would love to use a set up with regenerative braking to save myself the need to install disc brakes.

i have never hooked up a wireless remote like this before, nor have I found a hub motor without freewheel.

Can anyone suggest a compatible drivetrain that would be suitable for this application? Hub motor with fixed axle, controller that allows for electric braking, and compatible remote set up. Thanks in advanced!!!IMG_2699.pngIMG_2698.png

I would like to build a wakeboard / snowboard winch similar to the photo below.
There's a few threads about DIY winches you might want to look at in various subforums.

You can use simulators / calculators like those at ebikes.ca to figure out the power usage for any specific conditions, and also the torque you'd get for a particular system, gearing, etc.

The threads on other winches will also probably help, if their application is similar enough to yours.

I have built my share of e-bikes and I think a 48v 1000w hub motor should be plenty for my application. I would love to use a set up with regenerative braking to save myself the need to install disc brakes.

i have never hooked up a wireless remote like this before, nor have I found a hub motor without freewheel.

What do you mean by a "hub motor without freewheel"?

You can take the external freewheel for the chain/belt/etc drive off of any hubmotor, even if you have to disassemble the freewheel to get it off (as some are incorrectly designed and don't have removal splines/notches).

If you're referring to geared hubmotors with internal freewheeling clutch, so they only drive the wheel in one direction, and coast in the other, there are at least three solutions:

Ebikes.ca (and probably other places) carries the GMAC and I think the SX2 that have no clutch, so they will drive both directions.

You can lock (weld, etc) the clutch of most, probably any, freewheeling clutch geared hubmotor.

Direct drive DD hubmotors, with no internal gearing or freewheel, are VERY common, and could be used instead.

Can anyone suggest a compatible drivetrain that would be suitable for this application? Hub motor with fixed axle, controller that allows for electric braking, and compatible remote set up. Thanks in advanced!!!

What is a "hubmotor with fixed axle"?

All hubmotors, by nature, have an axle that would be fixed in place to the vehicle they are moving.

If you mean an axle fixed to the motor casing, so they spin with the casing, they cannot, by definition, be a hubmotor...because then the axle would spin, and it would not be able to move the vehicle as there would be no torque transfer.

If you mean something different, you'll need to specify exactly what that is.

There's a few threads about DIY winches you might want to look at in various subforums.

You can use simulators / calculators like those at ebikes.ca to figure out the power usage for any specific conditions, and also the torque you'd get for a particular system, gearing, etc.

The threads on other winches will also probably help, if their application is similar enough to yours.

What do you mean by a "hub motor without freewheel"?

You can take the external freewheel for the chain/belt/etc drive off of any hubmotor, even if you have to disassemble the freewheel to get it off (as some are incorrectly designed and don't have removal splines/notches).

If you're referring to geared hubmotors with internal freewheeling clutch, so they only drive the wheel in one direction, and coast in the other, there are at least three solutions:

Ebikes.ca (and probably other places) carries the GMAC and I think the SX2 that have no clutch, so they will drive both directions.

You can lock (weld, etc) the clutch of most, probably any, freewheeling clutch geared hubmotor.

Direct drive DD hubmotors, with no internal gearing or freewheel, are VERY common, and could be used instead.

What is a "hubmotor with fixed axle"?

All hubmotors, by nature, have an axle that would be fixed in place to the vehicle they are moving.

If you mean an axle fixed to the motor casing, so they spin with the casing, they cannot, by definition, be a hubmotor...because then the axle would spin, and it would not be able to move the vehicle as there would be no torque transfer.

If you mean something different, you'll need to specify exactly what that is.
What I mean is a hub motor that does not free wheel so it can be run in either direction. All e-bike hub motors I have used free wheel in one direction

What I mean is a hub motor that does not free wheel so it can be run in either direction. All e-bike hub motors I have used free wheel in one direction

Then as previously noted:

Any DD hubmotor doesn't freewheel at all, it has no gearing; these are very common (probably more common that geared hubmotors as they are simpler and cheaper to make).

The GMAC and IIRC the SX2 from ebikes.ca are geared hubmotors that don't freewheel.

Back