hub motors and water

evrob

1 mW
how much water if any can a hub motor ride through (depth) ?

are they sealed or can they be sealed ?

if it was something like a magic pie 5 if it had a seperate esc instead of the in built one can it be made water prove ?

Why would you do that?

Would you do it to a cordless drill or a boom box? It's an electrical device. Be respectful of its operating requirements and intended use.

Speaking of respect. . . . wow evrob is almost as senior a member as you chalo! Inactive for 6 years? Respect for remembering password or even bothering with old account!

I find the idea obvious in comparison to a drill or boombox, but incomplete. Seems like unprotected powersources/controllers are incorrectly included in the comparison? Fresh water isn't overly conductive to damage at least some motors, and likely all brushless hubs w/o integrated controller, with the exception of poor or unsealed bearing degradation.
Hubs typically aren't sealed and don't need to be but some guys might spray varnishing inside afaik. Dammed if I know what happens when submerging batteries or controllers- just avoided it at all costs. I like your question and am curious of more complete info and answers that must be available.

Brushed underwater https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqMCqeS9LA
PS People have run 'pies from external controllers. Doing a search should turn something up if that's what you're trying to do evrob!

I knew when I wrote the question it was a bit stupid and I sort of knew the answer but I had to ask

As for why , I am planning out a ev project and even tho it does not rain he a lot but sometimes the trails I will be riding on go across shallow creek beds up to about a foot or so of water
But 90% of time their dry

I guess I should have gone for a more elaborate answer. Which is to say that some of us disassemble our motors, use various waterproof coatings on magnets and stator, and drill drain holes in the side covers. This, plus occasional replacement of the bearings, is enough to keep the motors running long term in very wet and sloppy conditions.

For what it's worth, regular pedal bikes don't prosper when they're immersed, but with appropriate maintenance they can tolerate it up to a point, just like e-bikes.

In the RC world BLDC motors are often the most waterproof component in the electric parts chain. Windings are well insulated so as long as you can keep water out of the bearings they can run submerged.

I ditched T28 RC plane into Mission Bay (sea water) a few months ago and the ESC gave up but that motor continues to work.

Back